Should convicted rapist Ched Evans be allowed to continue his football career?

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    She couldn't prove that she hadn't when Evans turned up either, because she said in equal measure "I don't remember" (She said she didn't remember going back to the hotel let's not forget) It was offered to the court that a lack of memory later does not equal not consenting at the time.

A lack of memory suggests that the person was far too drunk to give consent at the time.

Sorry guys but you can't just jump aboard some lass who is too drunk to know which way is up.

That's rape.

The attitude of some male posters on this thread is rather creepy, to say the least.

If you can't understand why Evans was found guilty, then you could well be a potentially dangerous person yourself.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,839
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    A lack of memory suggests that the person was far too drunk to give consent at the time.

Sorry guys but you can't just jump aboard some lass who is too drunk to know which way is up.

That's rape.

The attitude of some male posters on this thread is rather creepy, to say the least.

If you can't understand why Evans was found guilty, then you could well be a potentially dangerous person yourself.

Indeed. This rampant belief that he is not guilty is frightening. The fact that 5 years after his conviction he has not managed to even find grounds to appeal shows what little case there is.
    Forum Member
    Indeed. This rampant belief that he is not guilty is frightening. The fact that 5 years after his conviction he has not managed to even find grounds to appeal shows what little case there is.

It's reassuring to see how many male posters do understand the verdict though :)

#notallmen
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

That's rape.

Lol - not that old chestnut. :D:D

He does have a degree of support, and if his conviction was overturned, I would hope that you might have the courtesy to retract your statement and your malicious insinuation.

The bottom line is that she said she didn't remember virtually the whole night, but the court accepted that she must have remembered saying (or indicating) "Yes" to this guy, but that memory gap means she mustn't have said "Yes" to that guy. It's an odd one, for certain.
    Forum Member

2 years walter. It's 2 years (2012) :)
    Forum Member
    Does it detail the directions the judge gave the jury on the law as it stands? Does it contain all the information only heard by the jury and not publicly available?

Didn't think so.

It's quite detailed actually in how the court was directed.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legally yes, he's perfectly entitled to play professionally.

Whether any team would want the PR hassle of hiring him is another matter.
    Forum Member
    It's quite detailed actually in how the court was directed.

I look forward to his appeal then.

Meanwhile you keep on championing the cause of a rapist.
    Forum Member
    I look forward to his appeal then.

Meanwhile you keep on championing the cause of a rapist.

I had a few pretty drunken encounters like this myself in my youth, so there but for the grace of god etc.
    Forum Member
    I had a few pretty drunken encounters like this myself in my youth, so there but for the grace of god etc.

Wow. Just wow.
    Forum Member
    Lol - not that old chestnut. :D:D

He does have a degree of support, and if his conviction was overturned, I would hope that you might have the courtesy to retract your statement and your malicious insinuation.

The bottom line is that she said she didn't remember virtually the whole night, but the court accepted that she must have remembered saying (or indicating) "Yes" to this guy, but that memory gap means she mustn't have said "Yes" to that guy. It's an odd one, for certain.

Erm.....how about NO. Looks like you just confessed to rape there.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, horrific as rape is, I don't think it's fair to punish someone twice, so I'd say when he's served his time he should be allowed to play again.

Whether a club is willing to take a gamble on him is another story though, but given the likes of Luke McCormick and Marlon King are getting games, I wouldn't be surprised to see a club take a risk.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting thread this. Have to say, I didn't realise there was so much controversy surrounding his conviction.
  • vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    As much as I think he is a nasty piece of work, he must be allowed to rejoin his club if they see fit. He has done his punishment and that should be the end of the matter.

Not for his victim, I imagine.
    Forum Member
    Erm.....how about NO. Looks like you just confessed to rape there.

Er no, I confessed to having some pretty drunken encounters in my youth, the difference being that there was an acceptance of that the day after from both parties, and no subsequent complaint made. :)
    Forum Member
    Interesting thread this. Have to say, I didn't realise there was so much controversy surrounding his conviction.

There isn't unless you are a Sheffield United fan or avid subscriber to Chedevans.com
    Forum Member

It appears he has a certain level of support among males who think the same way he does. In fact some (one on this thread) may have acted in the same way.
    Forum Member
    Wow. Just wow.

It doesn't strike me as something you'll ever have to worry about.
    Forum Member
    It doesn't strike me as something you'll ever have to worry about.

What does that mean? I won't ever have to worry about having sex with someone who didn't give consent? I probably won't no.

Good to see you're showing your true colours now. What a class act you are.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er no, I confessed to having some pretty drunken encounters in my youth, the difference being that there was an acceptance of that the day after from both parties, and no subsequent complaint made. :)

And that is how most such events are settled. That doesn't mean that many such encounters wouldn't be rape if treated according to law though.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's rape.

I'm male, and I understand, and agree with what you're saying. Thankfully plenty of others will too, but clearly some think in the same way as Evans, and would take their chance in such circumstances.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for his victim, I imagine.

Same with victims of all crimes.

maybe we should bar everyone jailed for an offence from working ever again.

Then again, maybe not given how that completely goes against our criminal justice system.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    I'm male, and I understand, and agree with what you're saying. Thankfully plenty of others will too, but clearly some think in the same way as Evans, and would take their chance in such circumstances.

Agreed. And even worse, the sad thing is that in most cases, they would get away with it.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's rape.

What happens if they are too drunk to remember themselves saying yes?

Hyopthetical - Drunk woman says to drunk man, lets have sex. Next morning drunk woman realises she has had sex with someone she wouldn't normally do and can't remember giving consent and accuses them of rape.

Is he guilty?
    Forum Member
    And that is how most such events are settled. That doesn't mean that many such encounters wouldn't be rape if treated according to law though.

Quite. But you only have to read the amusing posts of abject horror that I woke up in some strange places with equally befuddled people when I was young to see that it doesn't take much to get thought of as "a rapist"

Dear me. :D