Software update FAQ

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I agree with you there.

It would have been could to have the choice doing both.

But you can't get every thing
  • james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you there.

It would have been could to have the choice doing both.

But you can't get every thing

As I've just posted in the other thread, I think the eventual removal of Adult Channels is for obvious parental control issues.

Channels pay Sky huge sums of money to be carried on the Sky EPG. Broadcasters would not be happy if they were not visible in the TV Guide.

Regards James
  • kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have still not got the update on my pace 2600 what could be the bother.
  • MackmanMackman Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    My Panasonic and Sony tuners are now up to date but my Amstrad DRX400, which I only really use for the radio has not and will not force update, I don't leave this box on, only when I''m using it, any ideas why I can't force an update?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Mackman wrote:
    My Panasonic and Sony tuners are now up to date but my Amstrad DRX400, which I only really use for the radio has not and will not force update, I don't leave this box on, only when I''m using it, any ideas why I can't force an update?

You can't force the DL, sky will send you the update when ready for your box, the download won't be on the forced download stream till sky are confident that the updates are ok... Forcing a DL at this stage will only download the old software as it gives you a way to revert back to the old version if the dl causes problems on your box..
  • DingerDinger Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still nothing on my thomson box... :(

Dinger :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    My Amstrad (Model no. 40F905R) now has the new EPG (3.3a.6)...now going to find out what changes have been made with this update.
  • Gaz DaviesGaz Davies Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Dinger wrote:
    still nothing on my thomson box... :(

I've got a Sky+ 160 Thomson box as well and that hasn't been updated yet either.

But I don't know why you're all making such a big fuss about whether you have/haven't got the update yet.

All it is is changes to parental controls etc, how you can use subtitles and making the red dot disappear after 30 seconds.
    None of those features are of much use to most people anyway. They're not too me.
    If you want to get rid of the red dot manually you can just press 'back up' and it disappears anyway.

The update to get excited about will be the one in the Autumn when they completely overhaul the EPG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I've got a panasonic box..software has been updated now..

I may be showing my ignorance here, but why when you press the 0 key, does a little speaker icon appear? When you do this and choose a channel number, none of them work.

If anyone understands what i'm waffling on about, do tell!

Thanks,
    J.
  • mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As has been posted many times, this is in preparation for when the radio stations have 4 digit numbers in the autumn. So typing 101 would give you BBC1, pressing the 0 for speaker, indicates you want a radio station, then if you type in 101, it will bring BBC Radio 1 on. It will free up about 100 numbers, plus allow for loads more radio stations to appear
  • OtisOtis Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamoin wrote:
    I may be showing my ignorance here, but why when you press the 0 key, does a little speaker icon appear? When you do this and choose a channel number, none of them work.

If anyone understands what i'm waffling on about, do tell!

Oh for feck sake!

One of these days somebody will actually read this forum before posting in it and I'll drop dead of shock!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Has anyone got a pace minibox and had the update yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Otis wrote:
    Oh for feck sake!

One of these days somebody will actually read this forum before posting in it and I'll drop dead of shock!

Actually i did look for it, and didn't find it, so i asked about it!

Before you start on me for not looking hard enough, i will let you know that i am under a great deal of stress to achieve highly in my a-levels, so i don't spend time unnecessarily trawling though every thread on here....

Oh my, sorry about that...calm, J, calm..
    *blush*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    jamoin wrote:
    i will let you know that i am under a great deal of stress to achieve highly in my a-levels, so i don't spend time unnecessarily trawling though every thread on here....

But plenty of time to keep pressing the 0 button on your remote control to work out what its doing when you should be revising, tut tut
  • kevgormankevgorman Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I have a Pace (model number 3024) Sky + digibox and have not received the new software upgrade yet. I know Sky will send it out when it is good and ready, but doe's anybody know , maybe from Sky, what the time frame to have all the downloads complete. I would love tp have the ability to block the Adult free previews, to stop the kids catching sly glimpses of them when I go out of the room.
  • hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too lazy to cut and paste the whole list but as of yesterday, the pace b1, grundig/thompson boxes haven't had the upgrade yet, sky+ boxes have had a upgrade recently but not the epg upgrade. The other boxes should have updated by now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    I don't see what all the fuss is about.. an update.. don't know why sky bother.. will just mean more bugs and system crashes.. ;P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    the red dot removal is great for videoing TV. I have a Tivo so watch almost nothing live. Perfect for me thankyou - horses for courses as they say.

The radio thing sounds dodgy though. How will I record the radio on Tivo?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I have a Grundig GDS 3000 which I've recently switched on again after a year or so and tried to use my new Sky Freesat card in it. I rang Sky to activate the card and was told to update the software first by doing a "forced download" (not their words, they told me what to do - I've since learnt from various postings, on this and other sites, that is effectively what it was). The system 'hung' and, fearing a corruption of the memory chips, decided to leave things for 48 hours until someone suggested re-booting the box. Fortunately there was no damage and the s.ware + EPG versions were the same as before i.e Operating sys: 1.2S4F1, EPG version 3.2.11.
    I know people have posted that the latest s.ware probably hasn't been beamed down yet but shouldn't the penultimate version have been available? I've also seen it suggested that older 'grotty Grundigs' (mine's 3 years old) won't accept newer versions of the s.ware. Any views or related personal experiences would be very welcome. Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I just wondered how the update was going to be advertised to Sky users. I'm sure the vast majority of subscribers don;t come to this forum, so how is everyone going to find out about it. I don;t have the update myself yet, but from the sounds of things, i'm not sure you would notice that anythings had chnaged unless you knew what you were looking for :confused:
  • crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Panasonic DSB50 powered down and updated last night midway through Corrie - and bloody annoying it was too! I got the new software though - finally.
  • DingerDinger Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hxbro wrote:
    I'm too lazy to cut and paste the whole list but as of yesterday, the pace b1, grundig/thompson boxes haven't had the upgrade yet, sky+ boxes have had a upgrade recently but not the epg upgrade. The other boxes should have updated by now.

do you know when the update is scheduled to be released to thomson boxes?

• hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope, I don't get that info
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dinger wrote:
    do you know when the update is scheduled to be released to thomson boxes?

Please see question 1 of the software update FAQ ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, Whats so special about the new update.