Options

Who Do You Think You Are? New series 19/7/10

Comments

• Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerik wrote: »
    That's so amusing! I didn't see that programme and am thus the worse off for it, I'm sure!! :D
    Couldn't find a clip, but here's a write up.

"However, at least one of the documents that Matthew views takes things a little too far: a beautiful medieval roll, created at a time when kings claimed to have the divine right to govern, purports to shows the relationship of British monarchy to Jesus, King David, Adam and Eve and even the Supreme Being himself. “At the top of your pedigree,” Matthew is told, “there is God.”"
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr.Phlox wrote: »
    Sort of related...

Was watching a rerun of that Tony Robinson thing about the real King of England yesterday. So in effect, going down and back up that family tree, both Pinsent and Alexander Armstrong are in fact indirectly related to "should-be-King" Mike the 1st, an Aussie rice engineer who is in fact Lord something-or-other from the Plantagenate line!

And they're also related to "King Boris".

Now there's a scarey thought.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerik wrote: »
    I just did a quick Google and some chap has listed 400,000 people so far! Maybe not millions quite yet! :D

EDIT: another look reveals that 5 children to each generation, all producing 5 children of their own would produce billions of descendants...!

William the Conqueror (he of 1066 at the Battle of Hastings, England, all that) had at least 3 sons who survived infancy and an uncertain number of daughters (probably 7) with his wife Matilda. All of the Royal Houses of Europe are descended from William and Matilda. Anyone who can trace their ancestry to even a minor royale can claim descent.

Assuming that individuals in each generation produce an average of 5 children every 35 years, until 2005, that would allow 27 generations from 1066 to 1915 leaving 10*5^27 descendants, or approximately billions of BILLIONS of descendants.. Assuming people never married their distant cousins (which they do). Neverthless, it would be kind of surprising if many people of European ethnic origin aren't descended from Wiliam the Conqueror.
    Cousin marriages were much much commoner than people think so that figure would be utterly wrong. People often married 1st cousins, it only really went out of fashion in late victorian times, presumably when the medical implications became more apparent to people.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Couldn't find a clip, but here's a write up.

"However, at least one of the documents that Matthew views takes things a little too far: a beautiful medieval roll, created at a time when kings claimed to have the divine right to govern, purports to shows the relationship of British monarchy to Jesus, King David, Adam and Eve and even the Supreme Being himself. “At the top of your pedigree,” Matthew is told, “there is God.”"
    Here's a clip up to William the Conqueror:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLczfootOlY

But no sign of any video of the "revelation"! (although there are "ahem" copies of the full show available on "thebox-dot-bz")

K
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was Alexander Armstrong I would have claimed a castle here and there. Such a family tree should have deserved a bit more than a BBC courtesy car.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Jason Donovan tonight is it? will anyone be watching
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »

Was going to watch but was still down the beach - when is it repeated please?

Just got back as it started
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Jason Donovan tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I missed a bit. Can someone tell me why Jason is estranged from his mum?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They didn't say why they're estranged.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    peach45 wrote: »

Ok, thanks :)
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jason and Kylie's kids are lovely.:) And that lovely kitten.......
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Mrscee wrote: »

You asked and answered your own question. The answer, btw, is no.

:)
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think we will find out later but his Mum and Dad divorced and he lived with his Dad
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Jason Donovan's vocabulary doesn't extend much further than the exclamation 'right!'.

So bloody annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason Donovan's vocabulary doesn't extend much further than the exclamation 'right!'.

So bloody annoying.

I was just thinking that, then though i was being a bit rude :D
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I was just thinking that, then though i was being a bit rude :D

Ooh dear, maybe I am being rude :o but it's still bloody annoying though! :mad: :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooh dear, maybe I am being rude :o but it's still bloody annoying though! :mad: :p

Don't worry about it, my rude-ar is incredibly high :D but i thought that seeing as you are saying, it'd be ok for me to :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So bloody annoying.

Sarah Jessica Parker was at least as bad :D
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure what I thought of this one. No one can dislike Jason Donovan. He always reminds me of a labrador :eek: but he isn't the sharpest knife in the box.

It was interesting for the Australian history which to my shame I know very little about (I didn't even know Tasmania was where it was till tonight :o:o I always thought it was to the north) and I always like it when I learn new things.

The Blue Mountains were awesome
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I think that Jason Donovan's mother abandoned him when he was about 5.

It was amusing that he kept rubbing his mouth and nose with the gloves which were supposed to protect the old paper documents :)
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    I think that Jason Donovan's mother abandoned him when he was about 5.

It was amusing that he kept rubbing his mouth and nose with the gloves which were supposed to protect the old paper documents :)

I kept saying that too!

I thought that Jason had some contact with his mum, as he is fairly close to one of his half-siblings, Stephanie and she came to live with him in the U.K. for a period of time a couple of years ago. Or at least, that was what was reported in the press!
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it made me laugh when he said how proud he was to be an Australian and the spirit his ancestors showed, both those ancestors were british born and bred so he should be more proud of his English blood :)
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I liked it for the Australian history and I know he's estranged from his mother but surely she could have least written a letter explaining the ancestors to make it easy for him..or is that his fault
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I found this one rather boring, the revaltaion that his ancestor was a convict was hardly surprising and they glossed over so many facts that would have been interesting to follow.

Was his family connected to Nigella Lawson via the Lyons tea rooms empire? What was his well educated literate Jewish ancestor doing in the less than well off Whitechapel? Was did he do for a living before being found guilty of handling stolen goods?

It seemed to be the type of programe that concentrated heavily on one ancestor (not unusual) but that ancestors story wasn't particularly gripping.

The weakest of this series for me.