Girl arrested for burning a copy of the Qu'ran.

Comments

• cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in a cult. I am not brainwashed and what is the excuse for finding the burning of a poppy or a flag offensive?

Poppy burning is offensive toward fellow human beings who have died or been maimed in conflict.

Flag burning is fine as long as you hate the country enough for you to leave and go live somewhere else. Otherwise it's hypocritical.

Your cult doesn't have leaders that encourage you to kill people if they offend it. They haven't done for 400 years or so - since they became a bit more civilised.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _drak wrote: »
    This is why Salman Rushdie lives under police protection, and Dan Brown does not.
    Loving your work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Its all "politics". Years ago South Park represented Mohamed and no one complained, no one. Now because its suits the cause, we now get community leaders falling over themselves to to express their outrage and the deep hurt felt by all Muslims. Sure enough the politicians will be next to express there "deep regret" and condemning the "irresponsibility".

Some people know all they need do is claim "offense" and "persecution" and they get their way. I blame the government for starting all this nonsense.

It does seem very popular to get outraged by sod all these days.

The more outraged folk get the more folk try to outrage them.

The thing is I have yet to hear from a Muslim that has actually said they are outraged by this, unless they are keeping their thoughts to themsleves.

I am sure some hardliners will be outraged but as yet i have yet to hear anyone say they were actually that bothered by it.

When our flags/poppies get burnt it goes on DS straight away.

The Koran gets burnt and no Muslim starts a thread condemning it ( I believe the OP is not a Muslim)

Maybe they majority are not actually that concerned over it and do not want to claim anything. just a thought.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christians can be trusted not to react with violence.

This is why Salman Rushdie lives under police protection, and Dan Brown does not.

Tell Christian Voice that...

...and to be honest, I have violent thoughts towards Dan Brown, and it's not for religious reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Christians can be trusted not to react with violence.

Christian Voice?.
    What about the various nutjobs across the US attacking those who disagree with their values, whether it be beating up those who work for abortion clinics or whatever?.

SOME Christians can, and do, react with violence if they feel their values are being destroyed.
  • meechameecha Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Burning flags is not illegal, at least not in this country (though NI I think has passed the odd law at times)

Neither should be burning the Koran!

It is clearly double standards - in a mainly secular society - there is no reason why religious offence should be treated differently to patriotic offence, or any other kind of offence!

If Muslims want to live in this country - they should accept it is not an Islamic country and have no right to expect special treatment for such religious beliefs!
    Forum Member
    meecha wrote: »

It is clearly double standards - in a mainly secular society - there is no reason why religious offence should be treated differently to patriotic offence, or any other kind of offence!

If Muslims want to live in this country - they should accept it is not an Islamic country and have no right to expect special treatment for such religious beliefs!

Agreed, but burning the Koran is not in itself illegal, neither is burning the bible. It likely falls under various laws including incitement to violence, racial hatred, public order or whatever.

Somehow I do not think a Muslim group burning the bible on the streets would be let off either, but as I so far haven't heard of it happening in the UK I can't say for sure and neither can you (unless you can provide evidence to the contrary).

However, whether you like it or not, Flags, poppies etc. are not religious symbols so probably are treated differently just because the general feeling is that burning these is less confrontational than religious books and icons.
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are currently providing endless amusement for me and my partner. Please continue...though step away from the exclaimation mark.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member

Just like the Christians who live in this country and try to get the laws to bend for them ...?
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christian Voice?.
    What about the various nutjobs across the US attacking those who disagree with their values, whether it be beating up those who work for abortion clinics or whatever?.

SOME Christians can, and do, react with violence if they feel their values are being destroyed.
    Do you feel that modern day christian-related violence is somehow on a par with modern day islamic related--violence? Because whenever the topic of islamic violence is raised, it seems de rigeur among the liberal apologists to mention christian violence as if it somehow equally prolific and cancels it out, tit for tat as it were

Do you feel there is a real threat to society from christian-related violence as many feel there is with islamic-related violence, or is just something that can be wheeled out and used as an attempted smokescreen to deflect from the genuine problem that faces the world today?
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    Just like the Christians who live in this country and try to get the laws to bend for them ...?
    Same question to you
    Forum Member
    Same question to you

What question? :confused:
  • colnechriscolnechris Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same question to you

Dont expect an answer. there never is one.
    Forum Member
    colnechris wrote: »
    Dont expect an answer. there never is one.

I'll answer when i know the question ... :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll answer when i know the question ... :p

Do you feel christian violence is on a par with the violence committed by muslims. The extreme wing of both sects.
    Forum Member
    Do you feel christian violence is on a par with the violence committed by muslims. The extreme wing of both sects.

Both have massive similarities in their belief systems; vehemently anti gay, anti abortion, pro death penalty for adultery, no such thing as marital rape etc.

However, someone can come along and correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't know of any murders commited by the Christian Voice cult, not here in the United Kingdom anyway, possibly in the States, i don't know. So in that respect, no it's not on a par with extremists of the Muslim faith.

So there ... I answered the question :rolleyes:
  • meechameecha Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both have massive similarities in their belief systems; vehemently anti gay, anti abortion, pro death penalty for adultery, no such thing as marital rape etc.

However, someone can come along and correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't know of any murders commited by the Christian Voice cult, not here in the United Kingdom anyway, possibly in the States, i don't know. So in that respect, no it's not on a par with extremists of the Muslim faith.

I have never heard of modern day Christians advocating the death penalty for adultery - where in earth did you get that from!
    Forum Member
    I have never heard of modern day Christians advocating the death penalty for adultery - where in earth did you get that from!

I was talking about Christian Voice ... not your average Christians.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks.

This is where alot of disagreement comes into play. While the similarities between the religions is vast the severities are very different.

To often the actions of the extreme arm of islam are all to quickly dismissed by claiming christians do the same thing when the truth is now, they dont.

Islam far outdates christianity aswell so it has less of an excuse not that there is any at all.
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do know of christians who wish death upon my fellow queers, as well as others who take to the streets to ridicule and spout venom about those who use condoms and/or attend family planning clinics. Its just a tiny tip of the iceberg, but if you want to start going tit for tat...:) I personally have yet to come across a hateful muslim in my life, yet ive met and even been threatened by many a christian soldier. Funny, eh!
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What? They haven't kidnapped anyone, cut off their head with a big knife and posted the video on the internet?

Pah!
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

This is where alot of disagreement comes into play. While the similarities between the religions is vast the severities are very different.

To often the actions of the extreme arm of islam are all to quickly dismissed by claiming christians do the same thing when the truth is now, they dont.

Islam far outdates christianity aswell so it has less of an excuse not that there is any at all.

I think what bothers a lot of people on here is that the people who abhor everything Muslim, don't flutter an eyelid at the crap that some arms of the Christian faith spout ... granted, like i've said their violence does not compare [regarding Christian Voice anyway] BUT people dismiss vile acts committed by extremist Christians, but jump on everything bad in the press about Muslims and tar the whole faith with that same brush.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

Not quite sure where you're getting that from, if you're meaning "has been around for longer"...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    I think what bothers a lot of people on here is that the people who abhor everything Muslim, don't flutter an eyelid at the crap that some arms of the Christian faith spout ... granted, like i've said their violence does not compare [regarding Christian Voice anyway] BUT people dismiss vile acts committed by extremist Christians, but jump on everything bad in the press about Muslims and tar the whole faith with that same brush.

Name a vile act by a christian extremist in the UK
    Forum Member
    Do you feel that modern day christian-related violence is somehow on a par with modern day islamic related--violence? Because whenever the topic of islamic violence is raised, it seems de rigeur among the liberal apologists to mention christian violence as if it somehow equally prolific and cancels it out, tit for tat as it were

Do you feel there is a real threat to society from christian-related violence as many feel there is with islamic-related violence, or is just something that can be wheeled out and used as an attempted smokescreen to deflect from the genuine problem that faces the world today?

I was going to answer until I read the term "liberal apologists". I mean do you really think that simply pointing out all religion is prone to nutters and violence (not just Islam) somehow means I am condoning Muslim violence?. A pathetic term used by those who don't like others having an opinion of their own.
This discussion has been closed.