Options

Is it best to consult a Dentist at the first sign of toothache..?

CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
or to just give it a few days and see how it goes, obviously dosing up on painkillers and tooth gel.
I've had a slight ache/pain in my teeth/gums since last night but it did get a bit worse tonight and I've taken painkillers (using my Mefenamic Acid for period pains) and also Orajel and now it's eased off, even though it's still a bit tender.

I've phoned up an Emergency Dentist and gotten an appointment for tomorrow morning but I'm wondering if that's the best thing. I'm starting to worry a bit about treatment costs but also do not want to be in terrible pain especially over Christmas and I also hate the dentists :(.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really must see the dentists as soon as any pain starts, take it from me, I had toothache almost a year ago, took painkillers and it went away within a few days. 8 months later it cracked, abcessed and I needed it removed, wheras if I'd seen a dentist earlier it could've been saved.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sod the cost, get it sorted out and worry about the money later. Toothache over Christmas will be an absolute nightmare, believe me.

I recently had 24 hours of sheer hell after ignoring a niggly toothache for a week and masking it with painkillers - I ended up having an extraction because it was too late to do anything else.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you should go, a dentist will be able to see what the problem is.

I remember waiting in a cafe for my mum on Christmas Eve while she had a tooth taken out at the emergency dentist - she'd left it for weeks until it got unbearable. She ended up with a dry socket after it was finally taken out and was in agony all Christmas :( She was so miserable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's cos I'm nervous and I'm trying to get out of going. My worst nightmare is the dentist saying they're gonna have to take all my teeth out (I know they're not that bad but I still think that).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    I guess it's cos I'm nervous and I'm trying to get out of going. My worst nightmare is the dentist saying they're gonna have to take all my teeth out (I know they're not that bad but I still think that).

Don't be daft. How bad are they? All black and yellow? No? They won't want to take them all out then.

You might get away with a filling if you're lucky. It doesn't hurt - mouth or pocket!
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    If you've ever had a tooth abcess or similar you'd go to the dentist straight away every time!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stickler wrote: »
    Don't be daft. How bad are they? All black and yellow? No? They won't want to take them all out then.

You might get away with a filling if you're lucky. It doesn't hurt - mouth or pocket!

I hate the drill :( I've always hated that vibrating in my mouth (that sounds well doesn't it :o) and the noise.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've gone exactly what I would do - give it 24 hours on painkillers then book an appointment.

Please keep your appointment. Could be a minor infection or small cavity which the dentist can fix up straight away. If you are nervous let the dentist know - entonox (Gas and Air) or Valium may be available (my mother has both!!) - at an extra charge admittedly.

Or it could be more (abscess/major cavity) and tomorrow's appointment will save you a lot of suffering over Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna go to the appointment very reluctantly and not think about the cost too much cos I have a small amount of savings that I can dip into rather than use my wage money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or to just give it a few days and see how it goes

I'd give it a few days. Teeth can ache or get over-sensitive for any number of reasons. If you have generally good oral hygiene and regular check-ups then there should very very rarely be the need for an emergency appointment - decay takes time rather than being an instant occurence.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna go to the appointment very reluctantly and not think about the cost too much cos I have a small amount of savings that I can dip into rather than use my wage money.

It'll probably be cheaper going tomorrow than leaving it and needing more substantive treatment later.

But I do think it is terrible that cost has to be an issue!!!! Why should dental health cost money at point of treatment when less important ailments to attend to at the GP are free!! Pitch up to the GP with 'flu for a sick note and that is free. In need of physical treatment or prescription only drugs at the dentist, and that costs.

Mad world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornslippy wrote: »
    I'd give it a few days. Teeth can ache or get over-sensitive for any number of reasons. If you have generally good oral hygiene and regular check-ups then there should very very rarely be the need for an emergency appointment - decay takes time rather than being an instant occurence.

I was thinking it could be the cold weather cos I do have sensitive teeth and I breath through my mouth and even though I try and keep my mouth covered with a scarf outside it's still hard cos of breathing and then I can feel the cold on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should dental health cost money at point of treatment when less important ailments to attend to at the GP are free!! Pitch up to the GP with 'flu for a sick note and that is free. In need of physical treatment or prescription only drugs at the dentist, and that costs.

Mad world.

Thread hijacked for political purposes alert
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking it could be the cold weather cos I do have sensitive teeth and I breath through my mouth and even though I try and keep my mouth covered with a scarf outside it's still hard cos of breathing and then I can feel the cold on them.

Exactly! But guess what - you are latching on to the only person who has told you that you dont have to go!!!! ;)

Seeing as you have already booked the appointment it will be worth more for peace of mind by going than any monetary saving by not going!

I had the exact same 'they're gonna pull all my teeth out' worrry until I went last year (after 10 years not going!) and yes I had to have 2 fillings, but so what! I no longer have crazy weird dreams about teeth falling out/being pulled out and the technology has improved so much since my previous visits that the driiling and filling noises/vibrations/pain just simply did not happen.

Honestly, I had a complete phobia, it took me a long long time to go visit the tooth doctor, but once I got there it was a walk in the park! Seriously - they give you sunglasses to wear, the lot! I am seriously thinking of going again! And you should just get down there tomorrow and though it may be a push to get through the door, you will be so so pleased you did it! Now get some sleep! :p
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Please go and get it sorted.

I had a tooth taken out yesterday which I really didn't want to do as I thought i'd be ok over xmas but the pain got so bad I had no choice. I'd rather pay the money and get it sorted over just sitting there in pain through xmas.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go as soon as you can, pain in the teeth usually mean a nerve has become exposed, if left untreated you will probably need the tooth removed, if you go now probably just a filling.

I spent about 5 years with a hole in my tooth and painful wisdom teeth due to my fear of the dentist. Luckily the hole didn't need root canal and the filling literally took the time the radio had played less than 2 songs.

I opted for IV sedation for my wisdom teeth and the worst bit was them trying to find my vein to out it in, I told them not to bother in the end as my heart rate went up to 160 bpm with the stress of it, had a local and about 30 seconds later I was good to go! The anaesthetic in the roof of my mouth made me heave for about 5 minutes first though as I couldn't swallow:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're registered with an NHS dentist, the cost may not be too astronomical - and the sheer relief of having the problem sorted out, especially at Christmas, will be worth paying for.

NHS dental charges
    The three NHS charge bands are as follows:

Band 1: £16.50. This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
    Band 2: £45.60. This charge includes all the necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 charge, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.
    Band 3: £198. This charge includes all the necessary treatment that is covered by the £16.50 and £45.60 charges, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

Info here
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you went and everything is ok. Even if it turns out just to be sensitive teeth due to the cold at least you have peace of mind. I had toothache a few months ago and was dreading going in case it was an abscess or similar turned out it was my sinuses pushing on my gum and my teeth were fine!
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll probably be cheaper going tomorrow than leaving it and needing more substantive treatment later.

But I do think it is terrible that cost has to be an issue!!!! Why should dental health cost money at point of treatment when less important ailments to attend to at the GP are free!! Pitch up to the GP with 'flu for a sick note and that is free. In need of physical treatment or prescription only drugs at the dentist, and that costs.

Mad world.

The reality is though, that there isn't enough money to make dental treatment completely free to everyone. Not without cutting something else out of the budget. What do you think we can do without in order to make dentistry free?

Sorry to go off topic! Hope you got it sorted OP, give us an update on how it went.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck with your appointment.

Though it might be a good idea to have regular six-monthly checkups (everyone should), then they can spot potential problems before they start hurting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the appointment, two of my teeth were tender when tapped by the dentist so they took an x-ray. On one of my teeth I've already had a root canal on it and the other , there was no obvious sign of an abscess. They've given me some antibiotics and I'm going back in three weeks. If I have to have another root canal, I've decided I'm gonna pay for sedation. I hadn't been to my old dentist for years and think I'm gonna stick with this one, it's a private one but it's gonna be better for me I think & it's only down the road from work. It cost me £20 today but I'm not gonna worry about the cost too much. The pain hasn't been too bad today but I'm gonna keep taking painkillers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad you went - the thought of you struggling with unbearable toothache over Christmas was horrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad you went - the thought of you struggling with unbearable toothache over Christmas was horrible.

Aww thanks :D
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to hear you kept the appointment OP, and that you're going to go back.

Teeth are too important to take for granted.