Anybody got Android L (OTA) on their pre 2014 Nexus device yet ?

Comments

• njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Use an alternative like Endo or Orux. Not too many people bother with mytracks anyway. It ain't that good.
    Oh. Have you done a survey? Mytracks fitted my requirements perfectly, which is why I still use it, albeit on another tablet. Endo looks hideous. I've played with Orux and it's not what I need for logging my routes. It might be useful for general mapping when I can be arsed to work out how to get suitable MTB maps on it.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well,it seldom gets a mention.

Yes, Orux had to remove the decent OS maps with the bridleways etc on and cached. Which is why I have not updated it in years. You can use the opencyclemaps with it but they do not compare.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Cosidering it is well tested, likely is old apps causing it.

Though I do not really trust any of the cheap memory inside tablets for reliability.
    Clearly it wasn't well tested.
    I lost count of the number of times I got a chrome not responding message.
    Don't forget they rushed out a fix to the upgrade as well.
    I've also got an N 4, so it is easy to make a comparison of the same apps on the same version.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Chrome ran horribly on it. That was one of the reasons for ditching it 5.x. That's not an old or insignificant app. It's a major part of Google's OS.

Maybe the Nexus is terrible hardware, though nobody was saying that when it was released, it was all plaudits then. Or it it could be the 5.x isn't that efficient, it needs much much better hardware to give the same performance of 4.x . Who knows for sure. As long it works, which 4.4 clearly does very well on the N7.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Received a brand new software update tonight for my Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013).

Build number is now LMY48I.
  • Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Received a brand new software update tonight for my Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013).

Build number is now LMY48I.

That is the security fix for the Stagefright vulnerability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Decided for now to try a proper factory reset. I've done them before but always selected to restore from previous. This time I'm going to go for a completely clean start and manually restore my stuff bit by bit. I've never done this before and so far it's a pain, but at least I'll be able to say I tried it!

Two weeks now since complete factory reset on my Nexus 7 (2012). This time, instead of selecting to restore from previous I decided to set it up as a new device and reinstall all my stuff manually. This was a bit of a drag, but so far the difference has been huge. Before when restoring from previous backup I could see no difference at all in performance. The tablet would start off OK but soon sink into the slowdown and lagginess that you're all familiar with.

However, while I can't say boot up is much quicker, once it's on the tablet is much better. Much more responsive, much more convincing in general use. Even the missus noticed it as she often steals it off me.

The big test was - would it still be good after a couple of weeks? The answer so far has to be yes. I have had one or two hiccups - Chrome is still much less convincing than Firefox imho. Much slower, but I put a lot of that down to the lack of an Adblocker. I have had maybe two instances of what appears to be a memory leak possibly, as the tablet would just slow down (was using Newsstand at the time) and take a moment to regain itself. Sometimes icons would disappear during this. However it passed quicker than before and wasn't a big issue. I've had one instance of "process system is not responding" (or somesuch) at boot up also. This is one I really hate to see as boot isn't especially quick anyway on these things.

I'm generally finding if something does go awry that it's mostly Newsstand or another Google app causing it. I do like to use Newsstand but boy can it slow a tablet down. Generally though, I am happy if this tablet continues to function in the way it has been. It's been generally very quick, smooth and a pleasure to use, and I'm no longer considering KitKat as an option.

Well, not unless something dramatic happens...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mick Jones wrote: »

Cool, thanks for the info.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, 2 weeks later and the 2012 version is running fine on 4.4.4.
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Well, 2 weeks later and the 2012 version is running fine on 4.4.4.

No glitches or problems to report at all? I may be convinced to roll back but my experience with KitKat wasn't perfect either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mick Jones wrote: »
    Did my own simple fix weeks ago. It was a scare story without the simple fix/advice given out.

I think them whole news media world are keeping stum on advice hoping thus ignorant people get bitten.

You set mms to 'auto download' off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No glitches or problems to report at all? I may be convinced to roll back but my experience with KitKat wasn't perfect either.
    I'm sure there has been the odd lack of response, but nothing like the experience of 5.1 where I couldn't even put the pattern in to unlock it !
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My only issue with 4.4.4 is (or was, haven't tried recently) that downloaded videos on i player, start badly stuttering about 30 minutes in.

Sounds like a very old and relatively minor problem these days. But in mid 2014 it was quite a talking point.
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I'm sure there has been the odd lack of response, but nothing like the experience of 5.1 where I couldn't even put the pattern in to unlock it !

Well that would have annoyed the hell out of me too! Mine was never quite that bad. It just became really laggy and slow in use, and seemed like it was struggling to do basic things like browsing and multitasking. My god the multitasking would bring it to its knees! I couldn't have it download updates while trying to browse. The thing would lock up. Since the fresh cleanup, no bother at all. I'm also using it way more than before too, which is a great sign of its improved performance. It's getting passed around the living room again. :)

Nice to know there's still life in this tablet, and that Lollipop didn't kill it off as seems to be popular opinion. I'm glad though that they're not bringing Android M to it though. Let's leave this one working as it is! I'll be ready for a new 10" one next year anyway I think. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member

Thanks for that. I wonder if this will make its way to the 2012 N7 though. The last update for Stagefright didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I wonder if this will make its way to the 2012 N7 though. The last update for Stagefright didn't.

No, it won't - link
    Google has now released updates for the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 9, and Nexus 10. The original Nexus 7 (2012) is apparently no longer supported and won’t be patched
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can some N7's receive MMS messages? Anyway as Alan says just switch off auto download and don't download messages from people you don't know or trust.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Can some N7's receive MMS messages?

I don't know.

You would think, logically, that with stagefright being linked to MMS messages that phones would be potentially more vulnerable. But I understand that even embedded videos in random websites, might be a threat. Not sure, as there doesn't seem to be much information regarding android tablets and stagefright.
    Anyway as Alan says just switch off auto download and don't download messages from people you don't know or trust.

Without wishing to sound thick, how do you do that on a tablet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn off and dont download any MMS video full stop.

It is just as likely your friend has become a botnet rather than being an idiot paying an exhorbitant mms video charge.

And has anyone ever had a video by MMS ? If not it will be via a botnet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I don't know.

You would think, logically, that with stagefright being linked to MMS messages that phones would be potentially more vulnerable. But I understand that even embedded videos in random websites, might be a threat. Not sure, as there doesn't seem to be much information regarding android tablets and stagefright.

Without wishing to sound thick, how do you do that on a tablet?

This should help.

https://blog.lookout.com/blog/2015/07/30/how-to-disable-auto-fetching-of-mms-messages-on-a-devices-default-sms-app/

Alan is right. It costs around 40p a message. It's not worth it. I've never had one from anybody ever. There's email, snapchat, facebook etc. for sending pics that doesn't cost anything as data is part of people's price plans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, seems a video is limited to half a megabyte maximum size.
    I guess some people would have used it for convenience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Received the update today on my Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Received the update today on my Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013).

Did you ever install 5.0.2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Did you ever install 5.0.2?

I'm on 5.1.1 now! :D

Had no problems whatsoever apart from a bug when watching videos on YouTube, but it was a minor thing. Great tablet and still working smoothly. I'm seriously impressed it's lasted this long.

There are rumours there might be a Nexus 8 tablet coming soon launching with Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Might be announced at the end of the month if rumours are true.