Being asked 'What do you want for Christmas?'

decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Right, I'll admit this is going to sound really ungrateful and grinchy, so I'll just say that I really appreciate people giving me Christmas presents, I really do. But...

since the beginning of November people have been asking me what I want for Christmas, and what my 3 and 5 years olds would like. It's nice that people want to please us, I know that, but I do wish that people would use their imaginations a bit! We are not hard to buy for, the kids are into typical boy stuff and I am happy with anything! I am being hassled by grandparents to produce a list of items we and the kids would like. They are like this on birthdays too, I usually end up having to buy the kids presents and they give me the money! To be honest - I don't want to have to do everyone's thinking for them.

I know this makes me sound really miserable, but I think it's nice to have surprises on Christmas Day, not just reel off a wish list of things that you want people to buy for you! Or is it just me..?

That feels better! Off to Amazon now to compile some very expensive wish lists :D

Comments

• pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah you do sound miserable. People usually ask that so they don't end up buying something you or the kids already have, or spending money on something expensive that you don't want. How hard is it to say "Lucie is into Barbie at the minute, little Jonny has been pestering me for Assassins Creed 3 and I'd love a nice bottle of wine".
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Yeah you do sound miserable. People usually ask that so they don't end up buying something you or the kids already have, or spending money on something expensive that you don't want. How hard is it to say "Lucie is into Barbie at the minute, little Jonny has been pestering me for Assassins Creed 3 and I'd love a nice bottle of wine".

I admitted it makes me sound miserable! But they know us and the kids, not like we are complete strangers!
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    You should be grateful, at least you're getting asked. We have stopped all the extended family buying and receiving presents because its a massive hassle and waste of money. It was kind of defeating the spirit of Christmas too for us when we were left irritated by carefully choosing and spending on thoughtful, quality gifts for other relations' kids and getting tat that looked as if it had been picked up from the local petrol station shop on the way and wrapped in the car in return.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on the train the other day reading The Metro and saw an advert for Frankie Boyle's new DVD. JUST as I saw this my mum texted me asking what I wanted for Christmas. :D
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    I admitted it makes me sound miserable! But they know us and the kids, not like we are complete strangers!

Maybe they don't want to get them something that you'd not approve of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I live with my younger brother and don't have a clue what to get him, what with him being a 15 year old boy. Your parents obviously just don't know what the kids are into at the minute as they aren't there when Peppa Pig suddenly becomes smelly but Dora the Explorer's singing musical map becomes a must have. They might want to get them a Furby, but they might have been already bought one by Santa. Buying presents is a total minefield.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, yes, I think I may be in a bad mood today!
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I know this makes me sound really miserable, but I think it's nice to have surprises on Christmas Day, not just reel off a wish list of things that you want people to buy for you! Or is it just me..?

People ask so they have an idea what to get which doesn't mean you'll get exactly what you said unless of course it was something you particularly wanted which I guess would be ok with you?
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's such an awkward question. I hate having to tell people what I want for Christmas. Vouchers are the only thing I can ever think of.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I can see how its frustrating for you if theres nothing in particular you want, but i think its better for the kids if people ask.

I remember as a kid my grandparents wouldnt tell anyone what they were getting us and a few years we got duplicate gifts. Not a big deal but one set of grandparents would get offended if we asked for the receipt to take their gift back. Plus my parents had the hassell of going round the shops when they were busy trying to exchange gifts. And as a child you felt cheated as if you only got a few presents and had to wait until you could swap some.

So i think its less stressful if you know what the kids are getting so they dont end up with three of everything.

Edit to add, now im older its even worse! Ive recently got interested in ann summers lingerie so id like money so i can treat myself to some nice bras which i otherwise wouldnt want to spend my own money on, plus in jan there will be a sale on :D but my family dont like giving money, and i cant really see my grandparents going into ann summers to get vouchers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, yes, I think I may be in a bad mood today!

I'm not surprised, if I had kids i'd be tearing my hair out all of December
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I can never think of anything I want when people ask me this question. I really wish I could think of something though because I always end up with things I'll never use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just say surprise me.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    both my partner and my son have december birthdays I admit I find it hard thinking of 2 lots of presents within a 10 day period

I never know what to ask for when people ask me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Also when I can actually think of something it's usually something that's quite expensive and more than the person asking would want to spend.

I remember a few years ago asking my grandparents for a particular perfume. They got it for me but boy was I made to feel bad about it as it had cost them about £50. I thought why bother asking me if you are just going to make me feel bad about it? They didn't have to buy the biggest bottle either.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    Also when I can actually think of something it's usually something that's quite expensive and more than the person asking would want to spend.

I get that, or i see something i like but my grandparents live a while away so they only shop in their town. Unless i want something from argos then i dont have a choice!

I cant get across to people that i work so if theres something i like i buy it whenever, not wait until xmas and hope someone gets it for me.

I would prefer money from everyone to go towards something i want even if it means me putting money towards it. At least that way i know i will have something i will get use from.
  • FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My MIL always asks for a list of about three items each so she can pick from to buy from us, in return they will do the same for us for which I am grateful as they have everything they need in life so it is hard to know what to get them, and I have known them 30 years!

The only problem I have this year is I cannot think of a single thing I want myself, not one....my MIL is lovely and we get on really well but I know she will be chasing me up soon and I haven't got a clue what to say.

My husband has already made his list - so his Mom will be pleased with him and two of my children have done theirs just my eldest son to go and me. I feel like my name will be on the naughty list.
  • Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, I'll admit this is going to sound really ungrateful and grinchy, so I'll just say that I really appreciate people giving me Christmas presents, I really do. But...

since the beginning of November people have been asking me what I want for Christmas, and what my 3 and 5 years olds would like. It's nice that people want to please us, I know that, but I do wish that people would use their imaginations a bit! We are not hard to buy for, the kids are into typical boy stuff and I am happy with anything! I am being hassled by grandparents to produce a list of items we and the kids would like. They are like this on birthdays too, I usually end up having to buy the kids presents and they give me the money! To be honest - I don't want to have to do everyone's thinking for them.

That feels better! Off to Amazon now to compile some very expensive wish lists :D

I completely agree OP - plus if you did have a list prepared and when somebody asked what you & the rest of your family wanted and you immediately reeled it off that would sound cheeky.

My in laws are massively lazy in this respect, because they cant be bothered getting to know their grandchildren they have no clue what to get them - so we end up buying it, inevitably wrapping it and storing it so that they can give it to them when they bother coming round :mad: it does annoy me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean OP, my little boy is one. That greatly reduces the possible presents you could buy him. My father in law rang up asking what to get him, I said he could do with a new breakfast set. He said that actually, he'd seen some toys on the tesco website, and could I have a look and choose one.

I told him what to get - he doesn't want to get it - I still have to choose for him??

I can appreciate people don't want to get kids something they aren't into or whatever, but he's one. He likes Tupperware, my iPhone and chasing the cats.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Wow. Nobody will ask me that question this year.

OP, I think you don't know you're living. :(
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have that dilemma, but for a different reason: My family don't celebrate Christmas. I buy Christmas presents for good friends, external family and so on, but Christmas really doesn't mean anything to me, which is why I feel awkward about receiving Christmas presents I don't deserve.

When people ask what would I like, it gets a bit awkward because it leads to either "I must get you a present. It doesn't feel right if I don't get you anything" or "You don't know what you're missing Go on, give it a try. It's fun! I'll help you."

I don't know why it doesn't occur to them that there are people who don't celebrate Christmas. It simply doesn't exist in my family's culture. Mind you, I did feel better when I found out my Jewish friends have this dilemma as well, but people accept their explanation more easily than they do mine, though. :o
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    This reminds me of when I was about 8.

Grandma: What do you want for Christmas?
    Me: Money.

LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Nobody will ask me that question this year.

OP, I think you don't know you're living. :(

You wont get any presents? :(
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it when people ask me what I want. This way I can explicitly say I WANT A TOY.

I don't want clothes, perfume, books, or jewellery and I definitely do not want any money and gift cards. I just want a toy. It can be the crappiest toy in the world or a jigsaw puzzle but idgaf - a toy is demanded.