People that whinge about the bedroom tax....

Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
Forum Member
Try living in my world.

Me and the person I live with pay £630 quid a month in rent alone. Factor in £110 a month council tax, £52 a month water rates, £110 a month on energy. Thats just over 900 quid to keep a roof over our head before we even get to food. Food shopping is about £120 a month. Factor in pet related costs for another £50 a month. Then basic things like a phone line and broadband and we are looking at another £30 a month.

So £1102 or there abouts just on the basic stuff, I am not including travel in that either or costs to run a car. Fact is there is not a cat in hells chance of us getting a LHA property because we work, neither of us claim benefits nor as far as we are aware do we qualify. We struggle some months to put food on the table, we both earn a similar wage which doesn't even go far once all the month end bills come through.

It really does annoy me when some people who get to live in subsidised LHA properties claiming benefits when me and the other half have to struggle paying our own bills and taxes while those claiming housing benefit get an easier ride.

The fact is, its not a tax at all, government is just adjusting the criteria so it brings it in line with those in private tenancy. I am sick to death of the howling from the left about this, I struggle to meet my own costs yet those who happen to have a family are deemed more in need of social housing. I never understand why social housing is given to those who are unemployed and with sprogs? Its a self defeating situation when it would make more sense for LHA to only give it to those in work who would actually pay full rent without sibsidy.

It annoys me when I see people renting and only paying a fraction of what I pay in rent. They are the ones who get the social tariffs from energy providers, they are the ones who can get a cheap line rental from BT. They are the ones who get new boilers fitted for free. They are the ones who are able to get veterinary care free from the PDSA for their animals.

Its about time people stood up and be counted, far too long has this crap welfare system made people better off not working. You got loads of kids and need a bigger house? well move your arse and go rent one privately! I hate the fact I am paying my taxes and NI when it funds those who get an easier ride than I do.

For once I just want a politician or someone to stand up and give the working person a break. Make my life easier rather than the whinge pots who are moaning about the drop in housing benefit to sustain that nice council home you live in cheaply or for free!

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Totally agree.

Maybe its about time those on housing benefit worked out how the other half live i.e. those who pay for their housing benefit out of their taxes as well as having to fund their own housing costs.

As a Londoner I am well aware of people sharing accommodation into their 30s because they cannot afford to rent their own place and get no housing benefit. They would be grateful for a one bedroom flat of their own - let alone a spare bedroom!
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Try living in my world.

Me and the person I live with pay £630 quid a month in rent alone. Factor in £110 a month council tax, £52 a month water rates, £110 a month on energy. Thats just over 900 quid to keep a roof over our head before we even get to food. Food shopping is about £120 a month. Factor in pet related costs for another £50 a month. Then basic things like a phone line and broadband and we are looking at another £30 a month.

So £1102 or there abouts just on the basic stuff, I am not including travel in that either or costs to run a car. Fact is there is not a cat in hells chance of us getting a LHA property because we work, neither of us claim benefits nor as far as we are aware do we qualify. We struggle some months to put food on the table, we both earn a similar wage which doesn't even go far once all the month end bills come through.

It really does annoy me when some people who get to live in subsidised LHA properties claiming benefits when me and the other half have to struggle paying our own bills and taxes while those claiming housing benefit get an easier ride.

The fact is, its not a tax at all, government is just adjusting the criteria so it brings it in line with those in private tenancy. I am sick to death of the howling from the left about this, I struggle to meet my own costs yet those who happen to have a family are deemed more in need of social housing. I never understand why social housing is given to those who are unemployed and with sprogs? Its a self defeating situation when it would make more sense for LHA to only give it to those in work who would actually pay full rent without sibsidy.

It annoys me when I see people renting and only paying a fraction of what I pay in rent. They are the ones who get the social tariffs from energy providers, they are the ones who can get a cheap line rental from BT. They are the ones who get new boilers fitted for free. They are the ones who are able to get veterinary care free from the PDSA for their animals.

Its about time people stood up and be counted, far too long has this crap welfare system made people better off not working. You got loads of kids and need a bigger house? well move your arse and go rent one privately! I hate the fact I am paying my taxes and NI when it funds those who get an easier ride than I do.

For once I just want a politician or someone to stand up and give the working person a break. Make my life easier rather than the whinge pots who are moaning about the drop in housing benefit to sustain that nice council home you live in cheaply or for free!

Stange why would you think because you work you could not get a council propery. whats this nonsence social tariffs from energy providers, cheap line rental from BT.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Totally agree.

Maybe its about time those on housing benefit worked out how the other half live i.e. those who pay for their housing benefit out of their taxes as well as having to fund their own housing costs.

As a Londoner I am well aware of people sharing accommodation into their 30s because they cannot afford to rent their own place and get no housing benefit. They would be grateful for a one bedroom flat of their own - let alone a spare bedroom!

The high rent costs is one of the reasons we can't afford to save for a deposit. Even if we moved areas it would be the same.

But I agree those with housing benefit should see how the other half live, those like me who are virtually on the breadline. I am proud to say I work, but as it stands now I am more the mug for doing so!

When I see how this has been spun it really does make my heart sink to think that even a cap at 26k a year on benefits still means a family can be earning more in benefits than me and the other half together.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Why do you think because you're in work you couldn't get a council home? Sounds like you're perfectly entitled to one.
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Stange why would you think because you work you could not get a council propery. whats this nonsence social tariffs from energy providers, cheap line rental from BT.

Its a known fact if you look, those on benefits are able to benefit from social tariffs from energy providers along with extra government help. As for the line rental

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/other-products-services-bt-basic.html?s_cid=con_FURL_calls_basic

As for not getting a LHA home, I have to be on the waiting list to get a property and even then my banding is the lowest. Any LHA seemingly gives priority to those who don't work and have kids. I am sick of being penalised for working and not being a parent!
    Forum Member
    The high rent costs is one of the reasons we can't afford to save for a deposit. Even if we moved areas it would be the same.

But I agree those with housing benefit should see how the other half live, those like me who are virtually on the breadline. I am proud to say I work, but as it stands now I am more the mug for doing so!

When I see how this has been spun it really does make my heart sink to think that even a cap at 26k a year on benefits still means a family can be earning more in benefits than me and the other half together.

I would complain to the goverment about the lack of affordable housing, thats there fault, private rental prices are high because of greed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure many of those with disabilities or that are out of work and struggling to find employment that are having to pay the bedroom tax would love to swap places with you.

It is tough for a lot of people whether they are in work or not. The only people who are not having a hard time are the rich.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try living in my world.

Well you don't have to be unemployed to live in a LHA property so maybe you could give your house up and move into one yourself, it doesn't matter if your working, actually they would probably prefer that you are so you will be paying full rent and full council tax ;)
    Forum Member
    Its a known fact if you look, those on benefits are able to benefit from social tariffs from energy providers along with extra government help. As for the line rental

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/other-products-services-bt-basic.html?s_cid=con_FURL_calls_basic

As for not getting a LHA home, I have to be on the waiting list to get a property and even then my banding is the lowest. Any LHA seemingly gives priority to those who don't work and have kids. I am sick of being penalised for working and not being a parent!

working or not working does not make any differance, just having children does not mean you get one infact working can help you sometimes
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try living in my world.

!

You should have fought for better pay.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member

Bit harsh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    Bit harsh.

Not as harsh as taking away benefits so that workers feel better about being low paid.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Why do you think because you're in work you couldn't get a council home? Sounds like you're perfectly entitled to one.

You are aware that there are nearly 2 million people on the council housing waiting list in England. They probably think they deserve a council home too.

In many areas a couple with no children would stand little or no chance of a council property - in London absolutely no hope at all. The demand is so great - and there arent enough properties.
    Forum Member

Suggest how I do that? I can't unlaterally declare a strike, the union is as much use as a chocolate fireguard seemingly only focussing on the NHS. The employer is cutting staff currently so yes I am in a real bargaining position to demand a pay rise.
    Not as harsh as taking away benefits so that workers feel better about being low paid.

Explain to me how its harsh removing benefits from dont work whilst those of us who as you say are "low paid" struggle getting by having no help from the state? Most of us were born with a good set of limbs and a brain, a large portion should be out there working like the rest of us.

and someone says working or not working has no baring on my eligibility for social housing. I have just looked at the online application for a social landlord and it seems my banding indicates those with children and unemployed take higher precendence.
    Forum Member
    You are aware that there are nearly 2 million people on the council housing waiting list in England. They probably think they deserve a council home too.

In many areas a couple with no children would stand little or no chance of a council property - in London absolutely no hope at all. The demand is so great - and there arent enough properties.

This is were it all falls down, when council housing was first built it was done for familys only that is why there are very few 1 bedroom places most are 2 or 3. Then to be fair they allowed couples and single people to be housed, so now we have couples in 2 bedroom places because there neverwas many one bedroom places ever built. And now the chance of a couple or single person being given a council place has just gone down more because they would only be allowed 1 bedroom, when most places are 2 or 3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suggest how I do that? I can't unlaterally declare a strike, the union is as much use as a chocolate fireguard seemingly only focussing on the NHS. The employer is cutting staff currently so yes I am in a real bargaining position to demand a pay rise.

Explain to me how its harsh removing benefits from dont work whilst those of us who as you say are "low paid" struggle getting by having no help from the state? Most of us were born with a good set of limbs and a brain, a large portion should be out there working like the rest of us.

and someone says working or not working has no baring on my eligibility for social housing. I have just looked at the online application for a social landlord and it seems my banding indicates those with children and unemployed take higher precendence.

Well doing nothing won't get you more pay and neither will attacking those on benefits.

If more people were made to work it would make things worse for you as wages would be low and there would be more competition for the few jobs there are.

You should leave benefits alone and fight for better wages and conditions for workers.

How you do that is up to you, but Unions have been weakened, on purpose by the Tories.
    Forum Member

This is aimed at the low payed workers as well anyone who gets help from the HB
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is were it all falls down, when council housing was first built it was done for familys only that is why there are very few 1 bedroom places most are 2 or 3. Then to be fair they allowed couples and single people to be housed, so now we have couples in 2 bedroom places because there neverwas many one bedroom places ever built. And now the chance of a couple or single person being given a council place has just gone down more because they would only be allowed 1 bedroom, when most places are 2 or 3

That is also down to the break down of family and the rise of the singleton.
    Forum Member
    Well doing nothing won't get you more pay and neither will attacking those on benefits.

If more people were made to work it would make things worse for you as wages would be low and there would be more competition for the few jobs there are.

You should leave benefits alone and fight for better wages and conditions for workers.

How you do that is up to you, but Unions have been weakened, on purpose by the Tories.

WHAT?? Leave benefits alone? Why should I, I pay my bloody taxes honestly like the next person. I don't see how someone who is in receipt of DLA or another benefit should be able to get a nice car oh and a nice council property subsidised by the state!

Its fairness, it has nothing to do with my wages.....this is generally the answer given by those in receipt of substantial help from the state. So frankly telling me to get a wage rise is codswallop when in fact there should be more readily available help to those in work, help them save for a deposit. Rent a home affordably.
    Forum Member
    Totally agree.

Well people in the rest of the uk cannot be blamed for property prices in london, if the council moved all the council tenants out of london the places would only be sold at prices at silly prices that most could not afford. Sorry to say but it time londoners, got to geather and took a stand, because its only greed that is causing the problem
    Forum Member
    WHAT?? Leave benefits alone? Why should I, I pay my bloody taxes honestly like the next person. I don't see how someone who is in receipt of DLA or another benefit should be able to get a nice car oh and a nice council property subsidised by the state!

Its fairness, it has nothing to do with my wages.....this is generally the answer given by those in receipt of substantial help from the state. So frankly telling me to get a wage rise is codswallop when in fact there should be more readily available help to those in work, help them save for a deposit. Rent a home affordably.

You do know that we pay more out in benefits to people in work than out of work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Did you purposely ignore the FACT that council housing is NOT subsidised?

Everyone pays tax, including those on benefits.

Your wages are the problem, not other people's benefits.

The fact you mention nice cars and homes show it is about you and not other people.
    Forum Member

Tell you what do a swap, you can have my DLA i will have your good health, because money does not pay for what i have losed. Sorry no car only wheelchair and mobility scooter
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    £52 a month water rates, £110 a month on energy and pet related costs for another £50 a month?

You need to sort yourselves out.

And i note that you boast Sky+ HD, Sky Fibre Pro, PS3, Xbox 360 yet plead poverty :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    You do know that we pay more out in benefits to people in work than out of work

I am aware of that, alas it seems if you are single or a couple and working with no children you get sod all help from the state. I have looked into whether we could get any help and we cant, just having a council property for us would be the difference between just affording to keep our heads above water, to actually being able to save money and eventually buy our own home.
    Did you purposely ignore the FACT that council housing is NOT subsidised?

Everyone pays tax, including those on benefits.

Your wages are the problem, not other people's benefits.

The fact you mention nice cars and homes show it is about you and not other people.

Social housing by its very nature is that social, it is subsidised to a large degree by the LHA or the state, keeping the value of rents below market level. People in receipt of HB living in a council home are indeed having it subsidised.

Strangely I am aware that "everyone pays tax", although those unemployed have it paid for them by the state.

I mention nice cars and houses, purely because no matter which way I turn I am getting royally bummed over whilst those on benefits get an easier ride.

Why cant we all be treated equally? the welfare system is designed to be a safety net not a guarranteed lucrative income which to many it is!