Options

Has BGT had it's day now?

CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has BGT finally run the gamut of it's lifespan?

It seems more so this year then any other that variety is thin on the ground. Every episode of BGT has at least 3 singers on it. And with the X-Factor and The Voice already catering for singing acts it's making BGT seem superfluous.

So has BGT finally come to it's end or mayhaps it needs a major overhaul starting with banning singers? Why are the variety acts so thin on the ground? Are they not applying or just not being shown? IS BGT fed of up of pretending to be a variety show?

Lots of questions.

For me I have been very unimpressed this year. The singers that are shown are not very good or parodies of themselves. I've tried. I've really tried but frankly I'm losing the will to watch this anymore and I love BGT and that's the only reason I've stuck with it.

Comments

• Options
    CM2604CM2604 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    As long as people continue to enter and tune in to watch it why would they cancel it.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave BGT a miss last year and I am enjoying it this year.

Try giving it a break if its not to your taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I agree, to many singers especialy with the x-factor and the voice. Should have more variety acts too. I agree with it needing a overhaul with better judges, more variety and less scripting and editing which is annoying
  • Options
    Lee_BromleyLee_Bromley Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    The fact that (even following the FA Cup final) it lost more viewers last night tells you all you need to know about this tiresome old show. It genuinely is an insult to the British public's intelligence. Staged dramas, fake audience reactions, an annual drop in quality of contestants, and a panel that constantly begs the question: 'How are they qualified to judge talent?' all contribute to this dead horse that ITV persists in flogging.
  • Options
    Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night was a bad night i think but still its totalling 10 milliom, plus its the middle of the auditions, both this, x factor and the voice always have lost viewers at this point and usually make them back up. and its still ranking weekly number 1
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything about is it is offputting from the lame acts and tedious judges to the very smug presenters.
    The fall in viewing figures last night may have been due to the weather but it's nice to think that people have perhaps finally lost patience with the manipulated rubbish that treats the audience as fools.
  • Options
    MrRightMrRight Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think BGT has had it's day due to the manipulation, production & editing but do think there is still a place for a proper old school Opportunity Knocks type talent show. I wish the BBC would pull it's finger out & take advantage. However, with BGT scouts checking every corner & so many millions of people still happy to accept the dross it is difficult for a rival show to compete.
  • Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no have you seen the audience share it has?
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I think it's time they shook up the judging panel (i.e. getting rid of Amanda Holden)
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem to be well past it's sell by date at this stage, even though the ratings are still there. The manipulation of sourcing acts well in advance of the so called queues of ordinary people who just come along to try out, has probably been happening from day one, it would have to really. Otherwise you would be left with a line up of complete crap that would not be fit for a village fete, and advertisers are not going to throw millions at ITV for that !!

Could it be that in the past the general public were just not so well up on how these shows are made and could enjoy it far more believing in the spontaneous element of it. Nothing gets past anyone these days, and the fact that we all know 90% if not the entire 100% of acts seen on screen all have previous form as semi professional acts, and no more queued in the rain on the off chance, but were sourced and booked for the show months in advance.

Its the fact that they pathetically still try to pretend this is not so that is the irritating part. That along with the continued sob stories wear me out. Anyone who gets a five minute VT before going on stage is going to go through, thats another constant. If they cut that crap out, they could easily fit in another two acts. The Walliams/Cowell banter which was very refreshing and funny in his first year is now downright annoying and jaded. Still, its got the ratings in the absence of anything else and will limp along for many a year to come I suspect.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think like X Factor - these types of shows the public are getting bored of them especially with the rise of on demand services. I think the ratings reflect this too. Past it's sell by date it is way off.

We need new shows, new soaps, new ideas on British TV, some innovation for Saturday night TV viewing..
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tiny minority in forum-land don't like it so continually question as to whether or not it's "dying" or "has had it's day".

Meanwhile, the latest show hits the 8.8 million mark in the ratings.

Says it all really ..
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tiny minority in forum-land don't like it so continually question as to whether or not it's "dying" or "has had it's day".

Meanwhile, the latest show hits the 8.8 million mark in the ratings.

Says it all really ..

Indeed it does. ;-)

Don't know why on earth some people watch it.
    Its an entertainment package and rather than constantly moan, I'd stop watching it if I found it so tedious.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed it does. ;-)

Don't know why on earth some people watch it.
    Its an entertainment package and rather than constantly moan, I'd stop watching it if I found it so tedious.

Exactly. I can't see why it's such a difficult decision. But then I suppose there's probably a fairly solid percentage of people who actually don't watch it but will moan anyway because of the fact it's a Cowell show.