Miliband says 'SORRY' over Sun picture.

Comments

• deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Millions of people read it every day - its not that they are unaware of Hilsborough its just that they don't hold a grudge for some accusations made in several different papers from 25 years ago.

Buy it or don't buy it, but no-one should dictate to others what they can do.

I doubt there are many people from that era still even working on the paper.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked up david cameron on wiki the other day, and hadnt realised he got a very good degree (first) at oxford. Red Ed only got a upper second.

Apparently that makes Ed intellectually superior.

Smug is the word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed doesn't look as though he even wanted to pose with the paper. His smile isn't genuine - It's like those hostage photos. The others pretending to read it also look false.:p

Mine went straight into the bin. I can't believe how trashy and flimsy the paper was.

Yes, I have to say he looks very uncomfotable in that photo holding the newspaper.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt there are many people from that era still even working on the paper.

but its tainted forever and should be scrapped as well as the mirror, both places full of shit lying journalists and criminals

Has rebekah brookes and andy coulson been found guilty yet? Crossing fingers
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't attempted to change the subject though,

angarrack said

I was merely pointing out that we already have a PM who does that

As I say it's "balance" ;-)

You were making those kind of posts well before angerrack posted that, or does agerracks post make your excuse retrospective?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were making those kind of posts well before angerrack posted that, or does agerracks post make your excuse retrospective?

In this thread ?
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this thread ?

Sorry, your first post was to question why this was a problem, then angerrack posted that and you decided to launch this campaign for balance that seems to involve making out that whatever has happened, Cameron's done worse.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    he is flip-flopping again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    but its tainted forever and should be scrapped as well as the mirror, both places full of shit lying journalists and criminals

Has rebekah brookes and andy coulson been found guilty yet? Crossing fingers

They are commercial newspapers, if they are so bad, why does the public outside of Liverpool insist on buying them?
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member

angarrack said

I was merely pointing out that we already have a PM who does that

As I say it's "balance" ;-)

Except that Cameron didn't do what Miliband has done. You can only have 'balance' if you are comparing like with like.

To be fair, politicians do make personal apologies from time to time. (Leave out general apologies like Labour's apology over immigration). But there needs to be a convincing reason for doing so.

What makes this stand out is the rapidity with which he climbs down. How can you respect someone who one day poses for a photo holding the Sun newspaper and the next day apologises for doing so? It's a trivial matter and a ridiculous response, unworthy of the leader of a political party.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are commercial newspapers, if they are so bad, why does the public outside of Liverpool insist on buying them?

The sun or the beano? Most make a bad choice

Besides, most people buying it, it is dreadfully cheap btw just want it to flick through whilst eating their fish and chips or bacon butty and then stuff it in the bin where it belongs, people who are not really interested in any serious manner about the news but just get "the papers"

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    Except that Cameron didn't do what Miliband has done. You can only have 'balance' if you are comparing like with like.

To be fair, politicians do make personal apologies from time to time. (Leave out general apologies like Labour's apology over immigration). But there needs to be a convincing reason for doing so.

What makes this stand out is the rapidity with which he climbs down. How can you respect someone who one day poses for a photo holding the Sun newspaper and the next day apologises for doing so? It's a trivial matter and a ridiculous response, unworthy of the leader of a political party.

Well he did apologise a bit quick, but then again when would it have been the right time for him to apologise.

I guess he should just go by public feeling and apparently public feeling was pretty strong from the moment the picture of him was published.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am far from clear if most people on this thread accept that offense was felt by some people in Liverpool even if no offence was intended by Boris, Clegg, Miliband, Farage, Cameron.

They were all correct to take part....(the idea of not taking part would be ridiculous). If people in Liverpool say to any of the 5 - "I am not a Sun reader but I feel offended" then they should apologise for the offense felt, which cannot be rationalised by people who are not involved/not in Liverpool.

Labour MPs are wrong about the decision to appear in the Sun. There is no conflict with Miliband's fierce criticism of the the Sun's behaviour just after Hillsborough. Any or all of the other 4 may also be required to apologise for any offense caused but not for the decision to pose for a picture in the Sun in 2014. It's not that difficult to comprehend. They will not at that time be apologising to people who do read the Sun or to people who were not offended.
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Well he did apologise a bit quick, but then again when would it have been the right time for him to apologise.

I guess he should just go by public feeling and apparently public feeling was pretty strong from the moment the picture of him was published.

If he had any guts or any political nous he wouldn't have apologised. You can't please all the people all of the time. He did a publicity photo in support of the English team. Thats it. Some people didn't like it, so what? It would have all been forgotten in a week or less.

The apology has made him look a weak fool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he had any guts or any political nous he wouldn't have apologised. You can't please all the people all of the time. He did a publicity photo in support of the English team. Thats it. Some people didn't like it, so what? It would have all been forgotten in a week or less.

Well looking at it in that perspective I can see why the whole incident hasn't done him any favours
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    If there was any doubt what a snivelling, nasal wimp Ed Milliband is, there isn't now.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a drip, it's not like he's even sorry, typical say anything politician. Did he apologize to vegetarians and muslims for that bacon sandwich?
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Likewise Cameron and Clegg.

Fortunately for Cameron, at least, his core electorate isn't composed of whiney babies who wage social media campaigns against anyone who doesn't conform...
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    What a drip, it's not like he's even sorry, typical say anything politician. Did he apologize to vegetarians and muslims for that bacon sandwich?

It wasn't even a proper apology either. It wasn't "I'm sorry I caused offence" It was "I'm sorry that you were offended"
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Don't see what he's got to apologise for, he was getting behind the England team, not The Sun, Clegg Cameron and Boris posed with it too, yes what that rag did was inexcusable, but at the same time the people complaining are grief merchants.

They're right-wing anyway. The Sun's right-wing and they're both right-wing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Put it exactly. I would consider voting Labour but not with Ed.

Plus haven't the Sun like apologised fully several times for Hillsborough reporting. Are we saying we should never forgive and hold unhealthy resentment forever?
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So does this mean that Ed Miliband has to apologise every time he writes an opinion piece in the Sun and what would happen if the Sun were to support him at the next election (i doubt that will happen mind)

Also Labour were in power for 13 years and did not set up any inquiries so they have somethign to apologise for
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I am far from clear if most people on this thread accept that offense was felt by some people in Liverpool even if no offence was intended by Boris, Clegg, Miliband, Farage, Cameron.

we get that some people are offended but the concensus seems to be (in the nicest way possible) that after 25 years they should probably get over it (the sun stuff)

They were all correct to take part....(the idea of not taking part would be ridiculous). If people in Liverpool say to any of the 5 - "I am not a Sun reader but I feel offended" then they should apologise for the offense felt, which cannot be rationalised by people who are not involved/not in Liverpool.

A politician cannot apologise every time someone claims offence - that would be an impractical and farcical way to conduct affairs. And people outside Liverpool are perfectly capable of comprehending insults

Labour MPs are wrong about the decision to appear in the Sun. There is no conflict with Miliband's fierce criticism of the the Sun's behaviour just after Hillsborough. Any or all of the other 4 may also be required to apologise for any offense caused but not for the decision to pose for a picture in the Sun in 2014. It's not that difficult to comprehend. They will not at that time be apologising to people who do read the Sun or to people who were not offended.

• Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of Ed or The Sun, but I really cannot understand the massive fuss over this.

Yeah The Sun may have acted terribly over the years (and there has been many instances...) but really this is just crazy.

I can understand why people get offended over what The Sun did, but calling for someone to apologise for posing in a picture that other Politicians did is ridiculous.

Its not as if he was condoning their behaviour.

I personally cut the voucher for the free bottle of coke out of it and then put it straight in the recycling bin.