Options

"Little man" - gets my goat!

Comments

• Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like that. Casual. Although if I said that to any of my colleagues I would get a fleeting vacant expression followed by, "Yeah, I liked Ebeneezer Good."

It's a useful system. If it somehow becomes necessary to refer to individual offspring you can just refer to parental sub-unit 1, parental sub-unit 2, etc.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont like it when perents call their kid 'mate'.

its such a general and banal thing to call someone, i doesnt sound special.

you may have a hundred 'mates' but only one kid....

That's my pet hate too and I hear it all the time.
    :(

a young woman across the road from me has just has her third baby, a girl and she is already calling it "mate" which is pretty confusing for the 2 other boys because they get called mate too.
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little man doesn't bother me, but sexy little man does. I don't understand why anyone would refer to a baby/toddler as sexy.

I always refer to my children as the girls, or if I'm referring to them individually I use their name. I only have family and real friends on Facebook. When I was pregnant we always referred to my bump as the Thing, some people probably won't like it but hey that's just us. My pet name for them is poo, don't know where it came from. The eldest refers to herself as twinkle poo.

ETA - I do love my children, always have. I'm just not a gushy mum, each to their own though.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont like it when perents call their kid 'mate'.

its such a general and banal thing to call someone, i doesnt sound special.

you may have a hundred 'mates' but only one kid....

I have two. And TV told me everyone on benefits has 15. :p

I know what you mean though. 'Mate' is very blokey. Haven't heard anyone refer to their child as mate but I don't think it would sound right to me.

My friend used to be a photographer and mainly did kids' shoots. She heard mums refer to their kids as all sorts. Her favourite was the lady who gently stroked her baby's cheek and said, "Fookin' smile, ya fookin' little fooker!" All with great affection.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    When my nephews were small they were affectionately known as the little gentlemen, didn't realise that would upset anyone. My late niece was princess all her life. My grand niece is princess or sweet pea. Dogs are ladies or fairy cake and sweet cheeks.

I never worry what anyone else calls theirs didn't realise I was supposed to, must have missed the email about that one ;-)

Welcome to DS we are here to inform those who have missed this particular email, in future please remember to make sure that you check your junk folder and add us to your contacts so that pertinent information does not get lost.

Regards
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not on Facebook, but I did use to call my sons 'little man' sometimes. I would have done it more often if I knew it irritated random strangers so much.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Welcome to DS we are here to inform those who have missed this particular email, in future please remember to make sure that you check your junk folder and add us to your contacts so that pertinent information does not get lost.

Regards

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Little Man", "princess", "bean", "peanut", "bump" etc all make me cringe. They're far too cutsie and vomit inducing and generally used by people who have no life outside of their children. What the hell is wrong with using the kids name?
    shackfan wrote: »
    OMG how DARE they be proud to be a parent :o

There's a difference between being a proud parent and being a mental obsessive who constantly rams their child down everyones throats. There's also a difference between being a normal parent and being one of those people who have a child and then almost cease to exist as a person. It's as if having a child has completely stolen their identity and they're no longer a person in their own right, they're just completely defined by being a "mummy" or "daddy". You can't have a conversation with them without them banging on about their kid. I personally don't really care about what somebody elses kid has been up to.

I'm a proud parent but in 5 months I've not put one single picture on Facebook and I've only mentioned him once (when he was born). If someone specifically asks me to see a picture I'll show them and if someone specifically asks me about him I'll talk about him, if not I just talk about exactly what I'd have talked about before I had him, I still have a life and do the same things and have the same hobbies and interests.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    "Little Man", "princess", "bean", "peanut", "bump" etc all make me cringe. They're far too cutsie and vomit inducing and generally used by people who have no life outside of their children. What the hell is wrong with using the kids name?

There's a difference between being a proud parent and being a mental obsessive who constantly rams their child down everyones throats. There's also a difference between being a normal parent and being one of those people who have a child and then almost cease to exist as a person. It's as if having a child has completely stolen their identity and they're no longer a person in their own right, they're just completely defined by being a "mummy" or "daddy". You can't have a conversation with them without them banging on about their kid. I personally don't really care about what somebody elses kid has been up to.

I'm a proud parent but in 5 months I've not put one single picture on Facebook and I've only mentioned him once (when he was born). If someone specifically asks me to see a picture I'll show them and if someone specifically asks me about him I'll talk about him, if not I just talk about exactly what I'd have talked about before I had him, I still have a life and do the same things and have the same hobbies and interests.

I'm a proud parent and I don't even have a FB account?

What do I win?

Seriously though there seems to be some kind of bizarre reverse "proud parenting" going on whereby people boast about how little they mention their kids and how they never give them silly nicknames and how they don't have pictures of them up at work (etc...)

This is not directly aimed at you by the way Jambo, it's a trend I have noticed.

We all have parents right? I am sure most of them were proud of us and gave us silly nicknames.

I don't get the venom directed towards what parents do or don't call their children??

Maybe it's actually social media that is the issue - that seems to be the main way people are hearing all these silly names they dislike? :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a proud parent and I don't even have a FB account?

What do I win?

Seriously though there seems to be some kind of bizarre reverse "proud parenting" going on whereby people boast about how little they mention their kids and how they never give them silly nicknames and how they don't have pictures of them up at work (etc... this is not directly aimed at you by the way Jambo)

We all have parents right? I am sure most of them were proud of us and gave us silly nicknames.

I don't get the venom directed towards what parents do or don't call their children??

Maybe it's actually social media that is the issue - that seems to be the main way people are hearing all these silly names they dislike? :cry:

There's definitely a problem with social media in that it seems to encourage the baby bores and gives them a platform to ram their kid down a greater number of peoples throats in one go. There's no particular "venom" but I just find the terms irritating, they actually just don't make sense to me, a "little man" to me is a dwarf. Someone put on Facebook "I can't wait to have fun with my little man tonight", I was drunk and fed up of baby posts so asked her if it was her pet name for her husbands penis, she blocked me.
    I just don't understand why people become so obsessed and I find it weird how people let it take over their lives. I guess it's each to their own but I want to be a parent and a person in my own right with a social life, friends and hobbies, it's perfectly easy to do.
    It's not just social media though. There's a woman at work who literally talks about nothing but her kids, I tend to just ignore her but when I had mine she suddenly wanted to be friends. Just cos we've both got kids doesn't suddenly mean I don't think she's an insufferable bore.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    There's definitely a problem with social media in that it seems to encourage the baby bores and gives them a platform to ram their kid down a greater number of peoples throats in one go. There's no particular "venom" but I just find the terms irritating, they actually just don't make sense to me, a "little man" to me is a dwarf. Someone put on Facebook "I can't wait to have fun with my little man tonight", I was drunk and fed up of baby posts so asked her if it was her pet name for her husbands penis, she blocked me.
    I just don't understand why people become so obsessed and I find it weird how people let it take over their lives. I guess it's each to their own but I want to be a parent and a person in my own right with a social life, friends and hobbies, it's perfectly easy to do.
    It's not just social media though. There's a woman at work who literally talks about nothing but her kids, I tend to just ignore her but when I had mine she suddenly wanted to be friends. Just cos we've both got kids doesn't suddenly mean I don't think she's an insufferable bore.
    I'm pretty certain many of us have a "pet topic" some people it's their children, some their pets, some their cars or sport. I don't see why that should be a problem if people don't like me chatting about my dogs I would expect them to change the subject and believe me some do and I take the hint.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad as it is, it's not as annoying as people who refer to their pets as fur babies.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    My ex calls our 4 year old son that, and she lives in Leicester.

It used to slightly annoy me, given he has a name we both chose, and "Little Man" wasn't it.

From your username you have the same name as me and are a year younger - are you from Leicester as well?
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Seen loads more of this on people's twitter posts / facebook pages this morning - why on earth do people insist on calling baby boys their little man?

What is the equivalent for a baby girl? There isn't one! I rest my case!

Stop it! It is so annoying and - dare I say it - bordering on chav?

:D:D:D

Why do you care what others call THEIR children?

It's not bordering on chav but you're bordering on ridiculous
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

Well said ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    Little man doesn't bother me, but sexy little man does. I don't understand why anyone would refer to a baby/toddler as sexy.

I always refer to my children as the girls, or if I'm referring to them individually I use their name. I only have family and real friends on Facebook. When I was pregnant we always referred to my bump as the Thing, some people probably won't like it but hey that's just us. My pet name for them is poo, don't know where it came from. The eldest refers to herself as twinkle poo.

ETA - I do love my children, always have. I'm just not a gushy mum, each to their own though.

Why is that so cute to me?!
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have he one friend on Facebook who literally can't go an hour without posting a picture of herself and her child with the comment 'twinsies'. She is obsessed with telling people how much her 'mini me' looks like her. Only she doesn't.

She buys the. Hold clothes and shoes that match her own and is just generally obsessed to the point of having no life. Any spare time she does have is seemingly spent posting pictures of said child of Facebook/twitter/Instagram or any other social media she can possibly use to ram the child down people's throats. She also posts dialog from conversations they have had.

If it's not that she's posting vomit inducing quotes or sharing things from 'Why I love being a mum' or 'show your proud to be a patent' etc. it literally is cringe worthy. The worst was an actual picture of piss in a potty which was apparently the child's first.

The entire thing just makes me what to punch her in the head.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I call my grandsons, 'the munchkins', and i have in fact got a picture of them, painted by a friend, walking hand in hand up the yellow brick road towards the emerald city. It was taken from a photo that my son took of them. The oldest one, 4, absolutely loves The Wizard of Oz, and he loves the painting.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a useful system. If it somehow becomes necessary to refer to individual offspring you can just refer to parental sub-unit 1, parental sub-unit 2, etc.

:D Lol. Gets tricky when you lose track of how many they have. After two I lose track.
    jabegy wrote: »
    I call my grandsons, 'the munchkins', and i have in fact got a picture of them, painted by a friend, walking hand in hand up the yellow brick road towards the emerald city. It was taken from a photo that my son took of them. The oldest one, 4, absolutely loves The Wizard of Oz, and he loves the painting.

That is lovely. Really, really sweet. Love that. :)
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My God . There are kids being called all sorts of nasty and horrible names out there and people whinge about mums who call thier sons " little man " ?? Its an endearment causing no harm to anyone and maybe its an Irish thing but we call babys little man quite often .
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And so are those who agree with me it seems.

It's only my opinion, calm down!
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Grandmother had a goat. It once ate a pocket on my jacket. Anyhow, seriously, I don't like the little man thing but if a parent wants to call their kid something I find irritating it's really nothing to do with me, is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, you find nothing that anyone else does or says annoying or irritating? It must be pretty cool living in your magical little world where everything that everyone does and says is perfect.
    molliepops wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain many of us have a "pet topic" some people it's their children, some their pets, some their cars or sport. I don't see why that should be a problem if people don't like me chatting about my dogs I would expect them to change the subject and believe me some do and I take the hint.

Not really, I've got enough social awareness to know who I talk about certain things with. I've got mates who don't like football so when I'm with them I don't talk about football, I've mates that aren't big music fans so I don't talk about music with them. I think most people have the social skills to do that. Granted, some don't, I've a mate who always talks about his dog and as soon as he starts to mention it we tell him that we don't give a crap about his dog and he stops. I'd like to think that most people have that awareness of what's a suitable topic though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If u was my facebook friend and got annoyed with me calling MY sons what I chose too then remove me because it would really be none of your business what I decide to call them. I find it odd that your moaning about nice phrases when there is people out there that say a lot worse to their children. This whole thread is whats wrong with society people frowning on others because of pathetic stuff.