Options

Seems Peter Kay is stealing jokes

Comments

• Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone nicks gags from everyone. At least they don't lost in the mists of time....

You can't blame Peter Kay for nicking gags because most of his own consist of stuff like 'Sky Plus, god you couldn't live without that, could you? It'd be like losing a limb!' :p
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    And Ricky Gervais in his Science stand-up but Harry Hill did it first (or possibly Matt Lucas/ David Walliams).

See what I mean about comedians "borrowing"?.

It was definitely HH, I heard that gag when I saw him live in 2000.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    Sounds dubious to me. If you've been accused of stealing material - a situation which might get a bit legal-esque - the last thing on Earth you would do is send on a cheque for the material.
    Hi, Jimmy.
  • Options
    DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Also written by Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong for a line for Super Hans in Peep Show.

Harry Hill was doing it in the 90's as far as a DVD I have is concerned, way bfore peep show
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    And Ricky Gervais in his Science stand-up but Harry Hill did it first (or possibly Matt Lucas/ David Walliams).

See what I mean about comedians "borrowing"?.
    Harry Hill was doing it in the 90's as far as a DVD I have is concerned, way bfore peep show

I'm not actually disputing that HH did it first, just agreeing that jokes are "recycled".
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's even something we can really give anyone credit for surely? It's an obvious joke that so many (myself included) have made since long before any popular comedians were doing it on TV.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anybody seen Stewart Lee's Joe Pasquale Joke?

Not just about Joe Pasquale, but comedy theft in general.
    Here it is, I hope you enjoy it.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Kay is unpopular with a lot of other comedians for several reasons (mostly relating to his personality), but joke theft is something that he has been accused of for years.

Dave Spikey got a 'thanks to...' on PK's first DVD, despite there being a lot of his material on there.

It was quite a way down the credits too - after a very big 'written and performed by Peter Kay'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stewart Lee really is the best. Fantastic delivery and timing.
    And Peter Kay is crap
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Kay is unpopular with a lot of other comedians for several reasons (mostly relating to his personality), but joke theft is something that he has been accused of for years.

Dave Spikey got a 'thanks to...' on PK's first DVD, despite there being a lot of his material on there.

It was quite a way down the credits too - after a very big 'written and performed by Peter Kay'.

i believe that Dave Spikey was equally responsible for Phoenix Nights but Kay took all the credit and that's why they fell out
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    i believe that Dave Spikey was equally responsible for Phoenix Nights but Kay took all the credit and that's why they fell out

Neil Fitzmaurice was another co-writer.

There have been similar mutterings on here that Miranda Hart has not properly credited her co-writers either.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At least him and Neil got a full writing credit.

Of course, it was billed as 'Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights'... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funny things is I have heard Ardal o'Hanlon (Fr Dougal) use that exact joke on stage.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stewart Lee really is the best. Fantastic delivery and timing.

I can't understand how he makes the audience laugh. His humour must be too intellectual for me! :o
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil Fitzmaurice was another co-writer.

There have been similar mutterings on here that Miranda Hart has not properly credited her co-writers either.

It's funny you should mention that because the TV was on in the background a few days ago and she was being interviewed on some show, and the interviewer asked her that very question, 'Who writes your show?'.
    She said that she does have a few background writers helping out a bit with structure and things like that. 'But it's mainly me'.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky for them, as Miranda is dire
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    I liked Peter Kay around the "Bolton Albert Halls" and Phoenix Nights time, but went off him more recently. He seems big-headed and immensely egotistical. I heard that a couple of his Phoenix Nights colleagues are no longer on speaking terms with him because he never acknowledged their hard work and he took all the credit for the writing and the series as a whole. Peter Kay really does have a reputation as being a right git in real life too.

Heard this as well. Apparently a horrid little man from people who've met him.
  • Options
    the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking PK has now fallen out with Paddy McGuinness now too?
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,637
    Forum Member
    At least him and Neil got a full writing credit.

Of course, it was billed as 'Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights'... :rolleyes:

It showed how good the quality of Phoenix Nights was with the contribution of Dave Spikey & Neil Fitzmaurice, with the poor spin off Max & Paddy mainly written by Peter Kay.

Comedians have used other peoples jokes for years. Billy Connoly's Vicar joke, was told by someone else first, but Billy Connoly gives credit to whoever told the joke first, it's funny anyway.
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superbeast wrote: »
    Please go back to school and learn some common sense. You cannot be serious.

Why would he/she need to go back to school? Michael McIntyre hasn't said anything funny in his whole life, the accusation that Peter Kaye has stole some of his jokes just goes to show how desperate Kaye is. McIntyre just says things and flicks his hair about whilst smiling uncontrollably, not funny in the slightest.

Peter Kaye used to be funny, then he disappeared and we had to suffer the influx of his replacement (Jason Manford) because the portly northerner had to be replaced, then Peter Kaye returned with that transvestite woman parodying some X Factor nonsense and it wasn't funny at all. I'm not sure how a comedian stops being funny, but obviously if Kaye is stealing old floppy fringe's jokes then he has lost it big time
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    scone wrote: »
    Why would he/she need to go back to school? Michael McIntyre hasn't said anything funny in his whole life, the accusation that Peter Kaye has stole some of his jokes just goes to show how desperate Kaye is. McIntyre just says things and flicks his hair about whilst smiling uncontrollably, not funny in the slightest.
    You might want to go back and actually read the two comments you're replying to.
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might want to go back and actually read the two comments you're replying to.

Er my first sentence was all that was in my reply, which was a question, the rest is just general for everyone, so you might want to bark orders elsewhere

Edit: Ok been back and read the two comments, not sure what your point is but I'm sure you're about to enlighten me.
    mcghee76 wrote: »
    If he is stealing jokes then he must be better at telling them than who orginally said them.

And the reply
    Superbeast wrote: »
    Please go back to school and learn some common sense. You cannot be serious.

Oh is it the grammar?
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    the_phoo wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking PK has now fallen out with Paddy McGuinness now too?

Really?
    Where did you hear that? Genuine question btw
  • Options
    the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?
    Where did you hear that? Genuine question btw

Paddy was on This Morning a few months back and I thought he'd said they no longer spoke to each other. I've just looked it up though and they are still friends, infact PK was best man at his wedding apparently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Not another thread that turns into a Peter Kay hate thread!

I like Peter Kay, and enjoy all his material.

Ive read a number of comedians biographies, and it seems stealing jokes happens a lot, so wouldnt accuse him of being the only one. I can imagine that he is unpopular among other comedians due to his success, heard the same thing said about Michael McIntyre.

Just dislike it when people say hes crap, their crap, hes crap, everyone is entitled to their own opinion yes but, i dont like watching Michael McIntyre but i wouldnt say he was 'crap', hes just not my cup of tea.