ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven88 wrote: »
    Tbh though ITV is mostly utterly dire I wouldn't be sad to see it disappear, it won't happen any time soon unfortunately. I've never seen a good sitcom on ITV, their football coverage is dire and i'm not a big soap fan, they have the occasional decent drama but those are rare.

The good ITV sitcoms were in the 1970s such as George and Mildred, Bless This House and Rising Damp. However, I think the BBC's truly excellent sitcoms Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers and the Good Life, were also broadcast in that decade. Nothing in recent years has equalled those shows by either broadcaster.

As a non-subscriber, there is nothing on Sky that I am missing. To think that I would be paying good money to watch mainly second-rate programming punctuated by ads is another reason for not joining Sky. At least ITV is free to view (I know the argument about paying for it by other means).
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll say it again. I don't see the need for this thread when The Ratings Thread exists in the TV section. It just duplicates discussion unnecessarily. Poor from you Samuel, bumping this thread as soon as you return.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    1.98million for thr Foyle's War repeat last night. Second day in a row that Itv has had a 2-hour programme sub 2million.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    1.98million for thr Foyle's War repeat last night. Second day in a row that Itv has had a 2-hour programme sub 2million.

Why not Samuel, to defy your critics, post one positive thing about ITV for every negative? :D
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    Why not Samuel, to defy your critics, post one positive thing about ITV for every negative? :D
    There hasnt been a positive rating so far this week. Even their long established brands Long Lost Family and Love Your Garden are rating 0.5million-1.0million down from last year!

Only 1.9million at 9pm last night for Itv, half of BBC One.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This supposed "crisis" has been going on for the better part of two years. In that time ITV has posted healthy revenue and profit numbers, it has some of the most popular programmes on UK TV, and Downton Abbey is one of the most watched UK programmes around the world.

It may have escaped noted TV expert SamuelW's attention, but with more and more channels available, plus the likes of NetFlix, watching content on-line, etc. the viewing figures for most UK programmes are declining. BBC experienced a drop of approx 1 hour a week in the past year. Eastenders is apparently experiencing some of its lowest viewing figures ever, maybe someone should start a thread about their ratings crisis.
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    It may have escaped noted TV expert SamuelW's attention, but with more and more channels available, plus the likes of NetFlix, watching content on-line, etc. the viewing figures for most UK programmes are declining. BBC experienced a drop of approx 1 hour a week in the past year. Eastenders is apparently experiencing some of its lowest viewing figures ever, maybe someone should start a thread about their ratings crisis.
    Actually, if you look at the BARB statistics, BBC1 and BBC2's ratings share has gone UP this year compared to last year. BBC One's primetime share has also increased year on year.
    Forum Member
    Latest figures from BARB:

Itv weekly reach was only 56pct, down from 59pct from the same week last year. Their weekly share was 12.1pct, hugely down from the 14.1pct for the same week last year. BBC One's weekly share on the other hand grew from 19.4pct to 20.5pct, confirming the channel's status as the nation's favourite channel by a mile and also the fastest growing terrestrial channel.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And HD and +1 reach are both up substantially year on year. You've been trolling for several years now and can't even get that bit right lol
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    And HD and +1 reach are both up substantially year on year. You've been trolling for several years now and can't even get that bit right lol
    Not true. +1 reach that week was down from 16.8pct to 15.7.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/itv-profits-jump-40pc-helped-073651183.html

Hmmm itv boss is blaming itv2 and itv3 for the fall in viewers - a perfect reason to move towards itv encore and behind a paywall or a reason not to as if people are not watching it when it's free they won't if it's chargable?
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/itv-profits-jump-40pc-helped-073651183.html

Hmmm itv boss is blaming itv2 and itv3 for the fall in viewers - a perfect reason to move towards itv encore and behind a paywall or a reason not to as if people are not watching it when it's free they won't if it's chargable?

Itv2 ad time was oversold, hence it couldn't capitalise on its share of tv viewing in advertising fully, hence the be spin off.

Encore is very much at the request of sky and their funding of it makes it profitable for itv regardless of its viewing figures. Itv3 is not going anywhere and is arguably a lot more focused now that encore is taking the more modern stuff
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW - The Ultimate Troll :D

Say what's your thoughts on BBC, C4 & C5 ratings? If you hate itv you must hate C5 and maybe C4?
  • Darren_HaywardDarren_Hayward Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main reason for this the Commonwealth Games which is why more people are watching BBC at the moment
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Reasons are:

1) No competition against the Commonwealth Games - just cheap factual crap. In 2006 they had a couple of dramas on.

2) Over-realiance on Soaps - both Emmerdale and Corrie are forgettable at the moment.

3) Over-realiance on celeb crap - get some of these people jobs and we all know its a charity scam.
    Forum Member
    Only 1.3million viewers for Itv at 9pm last night, battered 3 to 1 by BBC One. Itv's top program yesterday only got 2.3million viewers!
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    The thing is, it can't be money issues as they are a commercial broadcaster!

2006 they had "Bad Girls" and a couple of other dramas. 2014, it's shows about dying kids and other crap. Has Cowell earmarked the whole ITV budget for his two vanity projects?

Give people a good deal ffs, even the BBC are trying!
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    The thing is, it can't be money issues as they are a commercial broadcaster!

Money can be a possibliity for a commercial broadcaster. No advertisers buying the slots in between the programmes then ITV has no programmes to air.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The days of the the regular big 8 figure peak time audiences have long gone now wheteher it's BBC1 or ITV1.

ITV chiefs should stop expecting 13 to 15 million audiences between 7.30pm and 9pm. 6 to 8 million today in the multi channel era is a high audience.

6 million audience watching ITV1 at 8pm aren't the disastrous audience figures that ITV chief executive and chairman make it out to be. It's not a big crisis for ITV Plc.
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    The days of the the regular big 8 figure peak time audiences have long gone now wheteher it's BBC1 or ITV1.

ITV chiefs should stop expecting 13 to 15 million audiences between 7.30pm and 9pm. 6 to 8 million today in the multi channel era is a high audience.
    Itv are struggling to get 2.5million a lot of nights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    The good ITV sitcoms were in the 1970s such as George and Mildred, Bless This House and Rising Damp. However, I think the BBC's truly excellent sitcoms Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers and the Good Life, were also broadcast in that decade. Nothing in recent years has equalled those shows by either broadcaster.

As a non-subscriber, there is nothing on Sky that I am missing. To think that I would be paying good money to watch mainly second-rate programming punctuated by ads is another reason for not joining Sky. At least ITV is free to view (I know the argument about paying for it by other means).

But there were only 3 channels way back then.

It was far easier for ITV in the 1970's and early 1980's to claim the audience figure they seemingly still crave today but completely out of the question now.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Itv are struggling to get 2.5million a lot of nights.

You better tell BARB that they are lying then because according to the top 10 ITV shows last week, a programme on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday all topped 4 million. Which makes your statement 100% incorrect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You better tell BARB that they are lying then because according to the top 10 ITV shows last week, a programme on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday all topped 4 million. Which makes your statement 100% incorrect.

Those are not really bad audience figures in current modern era.

4 million today is probably the equivalent of 11 or 12 million back in the 1970's and 1980's when there was not much choice in the 3 (then 4) channel era.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Those are not really bad audience figures in current modern era.

4 million today is probably the equivalent of 11 or 12 million back in the 1970's and 1980's when there was not much choice in the 3 (then 4) channel era.

Yep, BBC's figures are similar but Samuel won't see that

One thing I do know, ITV shares are absolutely rocketing
    Forum Member
    In terms of the 9pm timeslot, Itv have been struggling to get 2.5m recently most evenings. That is a fact.