Options

new to PC gaming

ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just bought my first 'proper' gaming PC and I am looking for recommendations for good games to play.

PC. Acer predator G3 i7 with Nvidia GTX670, 12Gb ram, 1TB HDD.

Torchlight/Torchlight 2 are a must but looking for other games like these.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Firstly download steam and keep checking for deals of the day / week; they often have some mega deals going on. This week’s special offer is all of Alan Wake and DLC for a stupid £3.10 (90% off)

Though Diablo 3 is an obvious one if you want something like Torchlight and it's not as bad as some people say, it's great fun when playing with friends.

My current playlist on PC is:

Borderlands 2
    Sanctum 2

Games I keep going back to just for fun:

Orcs must die and Orcs must die 2 (must buy)
    Diablo 3
    Battlefield 2
    Counter Strike GO
    Left 4 Dead 2

PC game you must play (some are old)
    Half Life 1 and 2 (+all DLC for 2)
    Bioshock 1 and Infinite (not so much 2 unless you get it real cheap)

MMO’s worth looking at:

EvE online (though it will take a very long time to get into this)
    Guild Wars 2 (Free to play)
    World of Warcraft (obvious)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It very much depdends on the games you are looking at, f its RPGs the there are a hole host of games available as per the above. GOG.com is another good place to look at for some old PC classics and there are other games such as SWTOR free to play MMO and games like fable which are also great.

There are just so many, plus other styles such as the MOBA's that everyone seems to be talking about, also XCOM (certainly download STEAM and take a look).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Numa wrote: »
    Firstly download steam and keep checking for deals of the day / week; they often have some mega deals going on. This week’s special offer is all of Alan Wake and DLC for a stupid £3.10 (90% off)

Though Diablo 3 is an obvious one if you want something like Torchlight and it's not as bad as some people say, it's great fun when playing with friends.

My current playlist on PC is:

Borderlands 2
    Sanctum 2

Games I keep going back to just for fun:

Orcs must die and Orcs must die 2 (must buy)
    Diablo 3
    Battlefield 2
    Counter Strike GO
    Left 4 Dead 2

PC game you must play (some are old)
    Half Life 1 and 2 (+all DLC for 2)
    Bioshock 1 and Infinite (not so much 2 unless you get it real cheap)

MMO’s worth looking at:

Yeah thanks for that. I just bought the Alan wake franchise. Steam have some excellent deals going, so much cheaper than gaming on xbox360 :)
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah thanks for that. I just bought the Alan wake franchise. Steam have some excellent deals going, so much cheaper than gaming on xbox360 :)

Bought The Alan Wake humble bundle on Friday... must get round to playing it more.. it is rather good in terms of atmosphere even if the whole torch as a weapon is a bit silly :o

Best purchase I have got off Steam was all ten Tomb Raider games for £45, the new one is pretty good but I've enjoyed playing the original the most ;)
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Check out https://www.humblebundle.com/ for games where you pay whatever you like, as long as it is over $1.

There is www.gog.com if you like older games.

Amazon, Gamersgate and green man gaming all pretty much match or beat Steam for pricing, although Steam this past month has dropped the prices on alot of games.

Finally, if you want to buy some games, wait around a month for the Summer Sales for GOG and Steam. The accepted 'sweetspot' for discounts for a game on Steam is 75%, sometimes you get a 90% like Alan Wake but they are rare.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must check out Metro Last Light with those PC specs one of the best looking and atmospheric games to date, if you like a good story FPS that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must check out Metro Last Light with those PC specs one of the best looking and atmospheric games to date, if you like a good story FPS that is.

Dunno how good those specs r but its the best I could afford and Yeah I'll def check that game out thanks.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno how good those specs r but its the best I could afford and Yeah I'll def check that game out thanks.

High end have fun :)
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fallout 3. So so good. Took me ages to get into it, but then, one of the best I've ever played. Nothing too taxing system-wise either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Numa wrote: »
    MMO’s worth looking at:

I have to agree about EvE definitely a deep game. If you want to have a go THIS will give you a 21 day trial rather than the normal 14.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot guys. much appreciated
  • Options
    Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like the dungeon crawler games Titan Quest comes recommended and the Dungeon Siege trilogy is useful too. The first two DS titles are classic mouse driven examples of the genre and the third a more glossy console-esque variant. All are available on Steam.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member

you have good specs, i7 and GTX 670 is right up there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have good specs, i7 and GTX 670 is right up there.

Yeah thanks for that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been playing a few demo's. Orcs must die 2 and the graphics for this game are stunning. Also downloaded demo's off Torchlight and TL 2. fantastic games and good fun. First thing I noticed (coming from xbx360) is the difference in graphix detail. so smooth and colourful. I'm very impressed so far.
  • Options
    Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like the dungeon crawler games Titan Quest comes recommended and the Dungeon Siege trilogy is useful too. The first two DS titles are classic mouse driven examples of the genre and the third a more glossy console-esque variant. All are available on Steam.

Speaking of which...

Dungeon Siege Trilogy £3.74 till 6pm
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also recommend Skyrim, DragonAge (original although DA2 isn't as bad as some people like to complain about :) ), RTS games like Age of Empires/Age of Mythology, Settlers 7 is also okay but a bit frustrating as you need to be online to play it and, on the MMO front, Neverwinter. It's an F2P but it's fairly solid and you can enjoy it without having to fork over for all the DLC/cash rewards.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully you will be one of many coverts to the Steam model.

People bitch and whine about DRM and the potential loss of second hand games, but when you compare that to sales Steam have every single day there really isn't much to moan about. Plus the developer gets the majority of the cash!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Hopefully you will be one of many coverts to the Steam model.

People bitch and whine about DRM and the potential loss of second hand games, but when you compare that to sales Steam have every single day there really isn't much to moan about. Plus the developer gets the majority of the cash!

oh Yeah i'm fast becoming a PC gaming fan. Steam have some fantastic deals going on. I always wanted to try gaming on PC and now that I am, there's no going back for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh Yeah i'm fast becoming a PC gaming fan. Steam have some fantastic deals going on. I always wanted to try gaming on PC and now that I am, there's no going back for me.

Halleluiah... another convert! :)

Don't you think you should have a Steam profile though? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steam are releasing a Steam Box console to compete with the Ps4 and Xbox One. You'll notice Steam has a "Big Picture" mode which allows it's use on TV's. Also more and more games are being released to be compatible with Xbox controllers, and those that are not can be used via a program like Xpadder. It really isn't hard to imagine the Steam service in the front room on the big TV and then more and more console owners are going to have a wealth of cheap games at there finger tips with the developers being justly rewarded.

Team Fortress 2 is free to play and relies on micro transactions and there are also a whole host of free or cheap indie games which offer a far greater gaming experience than just Call of Duty and Fifa. There really is something for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Steam are releasing a Steam Box console to compete with the Ps4 and Xbox One. You'll notice Steam has a "Big Picture" mode which allows it's use on TV's. Also more and more games are being released to be compatible with Xbox controllers, and those that are not can be used via a program like Xpadder. It really isn't hard to imagine the Steam service in the front room on the big TV and then more and more console owners are going to have a wealth of cheap games at there finger tips with the developers being justly rewarded.

Team Fortress 2 is free to play and relies on micro transactions and there are also a whole host of free or cheap indie games which offer a far greater gaming experience than just Call of Duty and Fifa. There really is something for everyone.

We already hook the big screen TV to the computer so I'm unsure what diffrence that would make! :confused::o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Halleluiah... another convert! :)

Don't you think you should have a Steam profile though? ;)

set one up when I bought my PC :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We already hook the big screen TV to the computer so I'm unsure what diffrence that would make! :confused::o

You do, but many other don't, myself being one of them.

I'm a PC user and I like the keyboard and the mouse (I play MMO's), and it doesn't feel right using those whilst slouched on a sofa. A lot of console users think PC gaming is all about the keyboard and mouse, which it isn't. The Steam Box will show these people that PC gaming can be done on big screens and still with gamepads for a wide variety of games.

Not only that but the games will be cheaper and there will be no pre-owned market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah same here. I use a Samsung 55" LED/3D