Options

THE Bus and issues

Comments

• Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me that First put all the good buses (nice new ones with leather seats) on routes that go to 'leafy' north Leeds. Where I live we have to put up with boneshakers that are over fifteen years old. They leak when it rains and you have to remember not to sit near a window. They also smell. Occasionally they will put a nicer bus on but never any newer than a 58 plate. I have complained to First Bus about this but they just said our route is not one that warrants newer vehicles, they are used on busier routes, so we just have to put up with grotty, stinky, old, leaky buses.

It's annoying because we pay our fares just like everyone else but have to travel on crap buses.

If the service is anything like the ones here in Bradford I wouldn't be surprised if they are putting the older buses on in areas where there are secondary schools which have been notorious for vandalism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Growing numbers of bus companies, in partnership with local authorities, are fitting cameras to the front of buses. So sometimes the first time a driver realises they have been caught driving in a bus lane, or parking in a bus stop, is when the fine drops through the door.

In some areas it is a local bylaw that makes it an offence to park in, or within a certain distance of, a bus stop. In some areas (Edinburgh for example) the road surface of the bus stop is painted a different colour, usually red or green, and you get a ticket or a fine if you park within the coloured areas.

I agree about people congregating at the front, it even happens when the bus is fairly empty sometimes. I've never understood it. Round here though it seems to mainly be the school kids that do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me that First put all the good buses (nice new ones with leather seats) on routes that go to 'leafy' north Leeds. Where I live we have to put up with boneshakers that are over fifteen years old. They leak when it rains and you have to remember not to sit near a window. They also smell. Occasionally they will put a nicer bus on but never any newer than a 58 plate. I have complained to First Bus about this but they just said our route is not one that warrants newer vehicles, they are used on busier routes, so we just have to put up with grotty, stinky, old, leaky buses.

It's annoying because we pay our fares just like everyone else but have to travel on crap buses.

Yes - agreed with this post. It is a terrible indictment of various bus services around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I used to get buses, before I passed my driving test, it was the other way around.

Nice new buses going to the rough areas.... And horrible old tatty, smelly, rattly, non-airconditioned buses to where I live!
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I used to get buses, before I passed my driving test, it was the other way around.

Nice new buses going to the rough areas.... And horrible old tatty, smelly, rattly, non-airconditioned buses to where I live!

It's not exactly rough where I live, it's in the countryside but the bus route is ridiculously long, it goes right from one side of Leeds to the other. I think some of it beyond the city centre might be a bit iffy (I've never stayed on it past town) but between my home and Leeds is not too bad, not even any bad secondary schools who's pupils vandalise the bus!, they all seem to behave!

The big council estates do get nicer buses than us though!
  • Options
    KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I know we have talked about cyclists going through red lights, but equally as bad are the bus drivers, done know if it applies to other areas, but it does in first bus Glasgow

I have complained, and the reply I got, our drivers don't go through red lights, now I would have thought after I had complained, they might have done something about this, but no, the buses still go through red lights

why are they going through, I think it a time thing, there going to fast and wont slow down, they think they will get through but they dont
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arriva run the buses here, and for the most part they are pretty much all modern, low floor buses.

They do use some older buses, but they tend to be the small city sprinter types and are used to ferry people around the bigger housing estates.

The buses here are also generally clean, but it does annoy me when I sometimes see the odd empty bottle or can rolling around. The other day someone had stuffed a bag full of half eaten takeaway between the back seat the rear of the bus too. Why do that?. Disgusting people.

The bus fares aren't cheap though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats another thing that annoys me.

they're tying to convince people to give up their cars and use public xport.... but they make it SO expensive that its far cheaper, not to mention more convenient to drive.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    thats another thing that annoys me.

they're tying to convince people to give up their cars and use public xport.... but they make it SO expensive that its far cheaper, not to mention more convenient to drive.

I agree. Its actually cheaper here to get a taxi than use the bus.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buses aren't always that much fun for those that can drive. There's nothing worse than getting stuck behind a bus, you can't overtake the damn thing because the road is too busy so are stuck having to wait behind it as it stops every couple of hundred metres. >:(

I did also try the cycling thing for a while and my biggest annoyance again was buses. I would be cycling along and a bus would overtake me, only to then stop leaving me stuck behind waiting as I quickly caught up with up, and car drivers not allowing me to get past it.

Those issues aside I am not a fan of travelling on buses either, mainly due to the chavs, drunks, gobby schoolkids, junkies, racists and other general lowlife that tend to travel on them. Not all passengers are like this by the way!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Arriva run the buses here, and for the most part they are pretty much all modern, low floor buses.

They do use some older buses, but they tend to be the small city sprinter types and are used to ferry people around the bigger housing estates.

The buses here are also generally clean, but it does annoy me when I sometimes see the odd empty bottle or can rolling around. The other day someone had stuffed a bag full of half eaten takeaway between the back seat the rear of the bus too. Why do that?. Disgusting people.

The bus fares aren't cheap though.

yea, this happens a lot on Arriva buses..ti's annoying i agree
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    yea, this happens a lot on Arriva buses..ti's annoying i agree

Maybe it's just this area, but there's usually a McDonald's drink container rolling about the floor, with the accompying half eaten cheeseburger abandoned on one of the seats >:(
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all the evidence I hear from people living in Peterborough as how rubbish their buses (Stagecoach) are, how they take an age to get anywhere, and what a poor service they run to areas of high employment (industrial estates) timing wise.

I live outside the city so have to drive, but I could cycle home faster, than im told the bus takes to get to most areas in the city. I dont know why more of them dont cycle TBH, but that is just me.

Plenty of empty bus only lanes in the city make great cycle lanes, from what I can tell.
  • Options
    TominxsterTominxster Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I read all of these posts I feel very lucky to live in a City which I believe has a great bus service.
    Its a shame that not all cities have what we do.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't drive so I walk to work whenever I can.
    If it's raining I get the bus.

The chavs/ drunks/ crying kids/ gossiping old folks don't effect me as I plug myself into my music and turn it up loud.
    The bus drivers round here are very friendly and polite, so no problem there.

The only people who grind my gears are those who sit on the outside seat, hoping to have their whole journey with nobody sitting next to them.
    I have been known to squeeze past them ( " scuse I " ) and park myself on the window seat next to them, even if there are loads of other seats free. Just to annoy the bastards.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Where do I start? Not even going to mention the unhygenic smelly ones.

What about those who can't sit with their back against the seat. Have to be leaning on the seat in front so there head or bloody great hands are in line with my face the whole journey. Or sitting side on so their elbows are in my ear. Keep to your own seat FGS. People who can't sit without throwing themselves down and landing right on top of others. Sorry is too late when you've already knocked my phone out my hand and bashed my head against the window. Or, the (many) people who when I say excuse me and try to get out of the inside seat don't stand up and let me out. It's not sufficient to just turn your legs round a little bit so I have to push. I use buses every day and have never had a problem really with drivers, just inconsiderate other passengers.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CB, as someone who has been catching buses at least twice a week since 2006, I know how annoying other people on a bus can be and especially cars parking in bus lanes etc.

Do you listen to music? I find that helps block out all the unwated noises and helps me stay calm if I'm stressed/anxious (I have anxiety too). Although I usually play mine at full blast (due to my hearing problems) but tend to turn it down on the bus so it doesn't bother others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    CB, as someone who has been catching buses at least twice a week since 2006, I know how annoying other people on a bus can be and especially cars parking in bus lanes etc.

Do you listen to music? I find that helps block out all the unwated noises and helps me stay calm if I'm stressed/anxious (I have anxiety too). Although I usually play mine at full blast (due to my hearing problems) but tend to turn it down on the bus so it doesn't bother others.

Glad to hear it, as that's another bloody annoying thing.

I hate the constant "tssht tsssht, tssht, tssssht, tsssht" from people that seem intent on ending up deaf. :o
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate the constant "tssht tsssht, tssht, tssssht, tsssht" from people that seem intent on ending up deaf. :o

Believe me....I HATE that too and certain noises (like that) seriously irritate me. I can't stand it. Like literally cannot. I think I'm just sensitive to certain noises.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I have seen some buses that are so old I'm surprised they still run at all. I live in Doncaster. So we get he worst of the worst too.

@Mark I don't have good enough eyesight nor the confidence to drive

unless you use the x78 Doncaster to Sheffield very nice busses, shame where i live in Doncaster we get the really grotty busses.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The worst is when someone is listening to the radio through those earphones that let all the noise out. It can drive you mad, much worse than just music. It's awful.

I have decent earphones that fit in the ear properly and don't leak noise out!
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely off the point but I clicked on this thread thinking the tile was The bus and TISSUES! :D was going to rant about dirty, litter strewn buses. Guess it's still a bus ISSUE though. :D
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    Where do I start? Not even going to mention the unhygenic smelly ones.

What about those who can't sit with their back against the seat. Have to be leaning on the seat in front so there head or bloody great hands are in line with my face the whole journey. Or sitting side on so their elbows are in my ear. Keep to your own seat FGS. People who can't sit without throwing themselves down and landing right on top of others. Sorry is too late when you've already knocked my phone out my hand and bashed my head against the window. Or, the (many) people who when I say excuse me and try to get out of the inside seat don't stand up and let me out. It's not sufficient to just turn your legs round a little bit so I have to push. I use buses every day and have never had a problem really with drivers, just inconsiderate other passengers.

The ones where you are sat above the seat in front. Some scabby woman with long hair gets on and sits in front of you so her lank, greasy hair ends up in your lap. Vom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me and I've mentioned it on the annoyance thread is when someone presses the bell to get off at the next stop then someone else presses the bell a little while later for the same stop. Did they not hear the first person do it? Before I've heard 3/4 different people press the bell for the same stop, why?
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    The condition of the buses in MK are ok, even the old rickety ones tend to be fairly clean, but the service is awful. Generally the drivers are very polite but turning up on times doesn't seem to be a requirement. I get 4 buses a day and my first bus is the second stop on the route, the first stop is about 2 minutes drive up the road and there is no traffic there at that time in the morning. But it is constantly late. Even 5 minutes late can add an extra 10-15 minutes to the journey because we end up picking up people waiting for the next bus. Unfortunately these people all seem to be school kids who have to buy a ticket every day (i.e, they don't seem to be able to buy a season ticket in advance). Because of this I have a habit of missing my second bus. This was getting worse and worse so I'm now getting a bus that is over half an hour and 2 buses earlier than my original one just to make sure I can get to work on time.

I don't bother complaining because all I get is a tick box apology and 1 or 2 free bus trips. That is useless for me as I buy 4 weekly tickets and even with a couple of free tickets I'd still have to buy the 4 weekly ticket to get home again.

Arriva don't give a damn about their paying customers. The facebook page is full of people complaining and one guy who never seems to have a problem at all, I'm petty sure he's on the companies payroll.