Connecting Macbook Pro to TV

I've got a 2010 Macbook Pro and I plan to connect it to my TV so I can play my favourite games *cough* Goat Simulator *cough* on my big TV screen. I've got a HDMI cable, it's one dad uses for his Windows 7 laptops, Would I just need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to connect it and then plug it in and it would just work (like my external monitor works with the VGA adapter) or does it take a lot of faffing around?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should work exactly like the VGA adapter.

I've certainly used both VGA and HDMI adapters with various Macbooks. Though on occasion they have needed a reboot to get them to talk nicely to the external monitor :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ah right. Should work ok then :D I never had to reboot to use my external monitor though I mainly use it on the Windows side rather than the Mac one. I use it for gaming.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another option, although not the cheapest is to get an Apple TV, they are normally £99 but you can get them well under that off ebay or amazon. Then as long as your Mac is on 10.8 or 10.9 you can just click Airplay on the top menu bar and your Mac screen gets mirrored on the TV, no wires, no fuss. If you have an iPad or iPhone it might be worth the investment you can Airplay from those too like your photos, netflix, bbc iplayer , music library.
  • cactuscactus Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    Another option, although not the cheapest is to get an Apple TV, they are normally £99 but you can get them well under that off ebay or amazon.

And by coincidence the AppleStore price just dropped to £79.99 in the UK?
    Maybe a hardware refresh soon.