Options

looks like the three sky channels are staying on Arqiva's Multiplex C

David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
Forum Member
✭✭
Arqiva has requested Ofcom's consent to a renewed carriage agreement with Sky for the provision of Sky's three channels - Sky News, Pick and Challenge - on Arqiva's Multiplex C

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/other-issues/consent-sky-arqiva/
http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/letters/Letter_of_consent_to_Arqiva.pdf

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Of course they are!

They are Sky's only remaining option for devaluing Freeview.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    3 channels are only 23% of the multiplex, compared to 75% in 2002. :)
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I don't think Sky News devalues Freeview - if anything, it adds value. The other two channels I'm not so certain about.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Of course they are!

I don't think they devalue freeview, after all at least they're not just shopping channels.

They sometimes have the odd interesting series or programme on, and I expect the weekly American wrestling show on challenge is quite popular with many viewers.

Put it this way, I think there's worse channels for devaluing freeview.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long are the new contracts?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say these devalue Freeview. While I don't personally watch Pick or Challenge at least they aren't gaming channels, shopping channels or another plus 1.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Of course they are!

I will have a word with Sky management to see if they can give you a choice of either 3 Sky sports channels of 3 cinema channels instead of the 3 you have now, that would certainly raise the profile of Freeview.

While on the subject of devaluing Freeview tell me what do Gems, TV Rocks @ Co, The Store, Create a Craft, Jewellery Channel, Gay Rabbit, Kiss Me TV, Proud Dating, 1-2-1 Dating, Peace TV, Son Life and 10 adult channels do to enhance Freeview?

Are any of those "Sky" Channels?
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say these devalue Freeview. While I don't personally watch Pick or Challenge at least they aren't gaming channels, shopping channels or another plus 1.

I agree (although I do watch Challenge on occasion). Sky would actually be devaluing Freeview more by removing them, however:
    * They would lose out on advertising revenue.
    * They would lose out on effectively free cross-promotion of their subscription service(s) (how many times have you seen things on Pick TV sponsored by Sky or NowTV?!, or an old series of something with associated "if you want to watch the new series 'upgrade' to Sky now")
    * They would lose any influence over the Freeview consortium, of which they are a member.

All in all it's better for them to keep providing the channels. They've been providing three channels since the start so obviously Ofcom aren't going to have a problem with them continuing, and I dare say Arqiva are happy to continue being paid to carry them, especially if it's another full term contract as the initial one was.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pick and Challenge should be merged and have Sky Sports News back on Freeview, Since I don't really think anyone would really get Sky just to watch that channel. When they can actually watch the sport on Sky Sports 1/2/3/4/5/F1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    EEPhil wrote: »
    I don't think Sky News devalues Freeview - if anything, it adds value. The other two channels I'm not so certain about.

Pick (ch 11) is very good if you are a SciFi fan.
    It has Enterprise, Stargate and Farscape on most days.
    It also shows the excellent Battlestar Galactica (not the old 1978/1980 series, but the later 2004-2009 series which is possibly the best TV SciFi series ever)
    Series 2 (of 4) is currently being shown at 11pm on Monday nights.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it will return in the future. Depends how the battle with BT goes.

I still think something may happen with Eurosport as their rights are getting eatern up so maybe they will look at increasing advertising revenues and become the Freeview sports market leader.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    I will have a word with Sky management to see if they can give you a choice of either 3 Sky sports channels of 3 cinema channels instead of the 3 you have now, that would certainly raise the profile of Freeview.
    Not interested in any Sky channels thanks, not even for free.