4Seven HD + C4+1HD Coming to Freeview HD 1st July

Comments

• epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Don't worry! There's COM8 to fill yet!

Exactly, it's really strange that posters are complaining that these channels will stop other HD channels launching. It should be pretty obvious, from the apparent lack of demand for the HD slots on COM8, that there is a general lack of interest from broadcasters and no great desire to add further HD channels to the platform in the short term.
  • Tim_BishopTim_Bishop Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    wowboy wrote: »
    Channel 4+1 HD ?????? Really what a waste could have had film4 or more4.

I won't get these as I live in plymouth and we don't get COM7

So Glad I live in Saltash and WE DO via caradon hill.

ge'ddon ye janners!
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the moaners about C4s choice of channels - it was always going to be so.

E4 HD, More 4 HD & Film 4 HD are locked into pay-tv deals. They are not allowed to go FTA by those contracts.

So yes, all we are going to get is repeats of C4 programming over two HD channels, and with most Freeview HD equipment either being a PVR, or a TV with the ability to record via attachable storage, you do wonder just what the point is.

Of course it's also cheaper rights-wise for C4 to only show repeats from the last 7 days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    Indeed. To put it in better words, I'd rather have the space there reserved for a more reputable HD channel (e.g. Channel 5 HD - very unlikely now but things change and the spot would be there for the future)

These two slots are gone now and I can't see them being replaced, not for a long while anyway.
    You didn't seriously just use 'more reputable' to describe anything from Channel 5? :D
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I am glad they are launching and we are getting more HD channels for free, a part of me still thinks it is so stupid that we have Channel 4+1 in HD for free, yet we haven't got Channel 5 HD for free. Hopefully with their new owners they will see sense and get Channel 5 HD on Freeview before long. They just mightn't be happy at their previous owners knuckle-dragging that lost them out on a prime 105 slot, but if HD/SD EPG swapping comes into play then it won't matter a huge deal to them I suppose.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,596
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Whilst I am glad they are launching and we are getting more HD channels for free, a part of me still thinks it is so stupid that we have Channel 4+1 in HD for free, yet we haven't got Channel 5 HD for free. Hopefully with their new owners they will see sense and get Channel 5 HD on Freeview before long. They just mightn't be happy at their previous owners knuckle-dragging that lost them out on a prime 105 slot, but if HD/SD EPG swapping comes into play then it won't matter a huge deal to them I suppose.

Hopefully this will 'show up' Channel 5 further whilst other broadcasters are moving forward in the HD progression stakes. Channel 4 were the first PSB to launch a linear full time HD simulcast (FTV at the time) and likewise now they are taking the opportunity to launch a FTA +1 timeshift in HD. I personally, whilst thinking it would be good to have had another of their services, am pleased to see this as I do sometimes watch C4+1.

All we need now is for them to put it on the DSAT platforms so I can watch it on Freesat!
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably these can't be picked up yet? I can see Community HD on HD1 but no 4Seven HD. Can't see anything on HD2 yet (Crystal Palace).
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Presumably these can't be picked up yet? I can see Community HD on HD1 but no 4Seven HD. Can't see anything on HD2 yet (Crystal Palace).
    The C4 press release says that they launch Tuesday 1st July. We might see some activity Monday.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    July 1st as it says in the thread title. If you're getting Community HD you'll be fine. What you call HD2 (COM8) is currently being used for the BBC UHD tests so you should see a signal on Ch 35 but not be able to decode anything.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    July 1st as it says in the thread title.
    I know but channels on satellite usually start broadcasting before their "launch date", thought it might be the same on Freeview.
    If you're getting Community HD you'll be fine. What you call HD2 (COM8) is currently being used for the BBC UHD tests so you should see a signal on Ch 35 but not be able to decode anything.
    Hmm MediaPortal TV Server picks the two test signals on COM 8 but as radio stations so I dunno if I can do anything with the UHD tests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know but channels on satellite usually start broadcasting before their "launch date", thought it might be the same on Freeview.
    Placeholders/MHEGs tend to go up either months before launch or the day before (or even on the day), there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.
  • pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there enough space left on Com 7 for 2 HD channels? The Com 7 mux already has 4 HD streams plus 1 SD stream!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there enough space left on Com 7 for 2 HD channels? The Com 7 mux already has 4 HD streams plus 1 SD stream!
    I am guessing that Community Channel HD (which isn't really HD anyway) will cease.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am guessing that Community Channel HD (which isn't really HD anyway) will cease.

My guess too - it gets its bandwidth free from Arqiva but will lose it as soon as a paying customer comes along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds logical to remove the community channel.

Is it confirmed that CH4+1 HD & 4Seven HD are full time services?
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could Community Channel HD get placed on COM 8 at a fixed lower bitrate? Say 5-6Mbps so it fits nicely with the BBC test?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds logical to remove the community channel.

that's a good point they could share time with each other and maybe a little with Community Channel HD?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    that's a good point they could share time with each other and maybe a little with Community Channel HD?

That would be even more pathetic/of a disappointment* from C4

You'd almost be inclined to ask "Why bother at all?"

*Delete as appropriate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    That would be even more pathetic/of a disappointment* from C4

You'd almost be inclined to ask "Why bother at all?"

*Delete as appropriate

Yes Im sure it would be, but if they are seen by C4 as placeholders more than proper channels, that may be what they do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not, but it would be pretty silly if they weren't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Could Community Channel HD get placed on COM 8 at a fixed lower bitrate? Say 5-6Mbps so it fits nicely with the BBC test?
    For as long as it is on LCN 63 almost 24 hours a day I don't see the point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let's see... hmmm! 39% - 42% null packets on Arq C with the current config. There shouldn't really be any problem adding the 2 extra HD channels from C4 with that much spare capacity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsilon wrote: »
    Let's see... hmmm! 39% - 42% null packets on Arq C with the current config. There shouldn't really be any problem adding the 2 extra HD channels from C4 with that much spare capacity.

If they do put them up with the capacity you report, then it's logical to assume that the existing national mux has capacity for an additional SD channel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they do put them up with the capacity you report, then it's logical to assume that the existing national mux has capacity for an additional SD channel?

BBC B runs at full capacity with its current config. A short while ago, they appeared to be testing an alternative config. with ~30% null packets. Possibly testing a new encoder?

Ultimately, extra channels could also be added to BBC B, but it's not generally a good idea to presume that PSB multiplex operators will do the same as COM mux operators.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Community HD might cease, but then why would CH4+1 be on LCN 110 and not take 109 instead, as it would be available?