Has the 'Who Killed Lucy?' storyline been a success?

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,417
Forum Member
✭✭
The title says it all really. EastEnders has seen much change over the past seven to eight months with DTC taking the helm and probably the most prominent moves was the decision to kill off one of the show's longest serving characters, Lucy Beale. It's a plot that's garnered much media attention and appears to have got the public talking about the show again after a lacklustre few years under Brian Kirkwood and Lorraine Newman. It's now been three months since the arc kicked off and with it set to culminate with the
show's 30th anniversary celebrations next February it's fair to say that a lot is riding on the reveal being a worthy pay-off after such a significant build up.

So far, I've found it a very well executed storyline that has managed to maintain a reasonable amount of intrigue with a diverse mix of characters. One the successes of this plot lies in the fact that its affected the community at large with the Beales being a focal point of life on the Square with deep roots and a rich history going all the way back to legendary matriarch, Lou. Arguably, the success of a major soap arc lies in its ability to incorporate a large amount of characters and EastEnders have achieved this effortlessly. At one point or another we've seen how the murder has caused ripples through the lives of many residents- the Beales, the Brannings, Denise, Whitney, Lee, Jake, Sharon, Phil, Dot and now Billy- who is the latest suspect due to Lee's latest shock admission. It's great to see how so many have become embroiled in the saga and how they've reacted.

Most importantly, DTC has provided some cracking plot twists and cliffhangers with the arc to really hook the audience. The latest one with the aforementioned Billy revelation has caused the plot to take another unexpected and ultimately exciting turn. The storyline has also served as catalyst for a number of returns, i.e. Libby, Christian and Rainie which has been great to see.

In addition, the writing team have excelled themselves by managing to create some truly heartrending moments of pathos and poignancy amongst the intrigue of the whodunnut aspect. The aftermath episode centred on Ian being told about his daughter's death was a spellbinding piece of drama which was true to life, dignified and simply beautiful to watch. It easily ranks as one of the show's best episodes in recent years- arguably even the best.

Overall, I think that a combination of character mix, decent writing and sublime acting by all involved has elevated this story above all others. There are some aspects that don't sit particularly well with me- the apparently irresistible sex god that is Max Branning having it off with the family liaison officer was definitely a step too far- but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me right now.

Comments

• Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like that every characters got a secret, and some have been revealed, a lot are yet too be... LOVIN the twists in the plot and the fact it's brought back some faces and names from the past ...

Still have no clue who did kill Lucy either so It's working!
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am enjoying it so far.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite clever how they've reintroduced characters from the past and I hope it's something that they'll continue to do. I was genuinely shocked to read that Marcus Christie- the dodgy solicitor who doublecrossed the Mitchells- will soon be back on the square. A very clever move on the part of the writers.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say a qualified success. There have been some boring lulls and it was a mistake to give the end date in advance as you know the various twists and turns are just there to keep it ticking over til then so they lose impact. Also I think the original plan was to spring it on us. If they had pulled that off it would have heightened the story. But overall it has taken EE into a better direction I would say.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure tbh

I am utterly bored by the SL atm as it seems to have been forgotten...........
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,259
    Forum Member
    I like the fact its not the only storyline going on, other cCharacters have storylines as well.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    not sure tbh

I am utterly bored by the SL atm as it seems to have been forgotten...........

Erm last week ended on a cliffhanger with billy becoming a suspect.

I would rather have a plot that's going on for ten months, involves a lot of characters, has been planned in advance with many twists and turns over plots involving whose responsible for the black bags being left out in the street.
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Great post. The aftermath week was phenomenal television and the story itself has continued to deliver powerful scenes with some of the show's strongest actors at the forefront. Three months on, I fear it could be in danger of going stale but it's taken another exciting turn by putting Billy in the frame and there's still so much to learn about the night Lucy died. It's very unfortunate that Jane, Cindy and Bobby left just after the murder though because it lessens the impact of Lucy's death.

For me, this has really stood out from other soap whodunnits. Although there's always been an element of mystery to it, the grief of losing Lucy has taken priority over any sensationalism, and for me that's why it's such a shame Jane, Bobby and Cindy haven't been around to see their reactions over time like we have Ian and Peter. Unlike other soap whodunnits, there's so much we don't know about that fateful night. Most murder mysteries show you everything leading up to the crime and leave 'Who?' as the only unanswered question. With this, not only are we not aware who killed Lucy, but we're also in the dark about how, where, why and who, if anyone, knows the killer's identity.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would of preferred to have known who the killer was and watch them trying avoid getting caught.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the only thing EE got wrong was revealing when the actual reveal would be. They should have held off telling us that the reveal is the 30th until Christmas. That way all the twists and turns would have had more effect if we had no idea when the killer was going to be unmasked. I mean while I'm sure this week will be good, we know Billy didn't kill Lucy so its not likely to make casual viewers tune in as a 'must see' moment.
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    I would of preferred to have known who the killer was and watch them trying avoid getting caught.

For 10 months? :o If we knew the killer we'd probably also know the where and how as well as the who. The appeal of this story is how little we know compared to other whodunnits. Corrie fans are complaining about how long the Rob cover-up will drag on for, so if EE were to have done the same thing for even longer I think it would have been a disaster.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant OP boogie. :)

I think it has been a success. It's got everyone talking about the show again and the effects of Lucy's death have been far reaching, it's affected more or less everyone with various story strands stemming from the initial death.

It's hotting up again now at the moment after a few weeks on the backburner like it should be. They're also successfully running several other stories alongside it which is good to see.
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a massive flop.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    It's a massive flop.

Why do you think it's been a flop?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »

I would rather have a plot that's going on for ten months, involves a lot of characters, has been planned in advance with many twists and turns over plots involving whose responsible for the black bags being left out in the street.

I wonder if that story was a dirty protest by one of the writers. "You want filler rubbish, I'll give you filler rubbish!":D
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    I'm not convinced the audience will discover the killer at the 30th. I think the locals will, I think the viewers will doscover around Christmas time which is when DTC said their would be a massive twist in the story. Either that or we will discover that Lauren was the original intended target.

I think the story has been fantastic, I was worried about the long term impact on the Beales, but I think this will shape the unit for the rest of their stint on the show, the same way Mark's death directed the Fowlers. Like everyone has been saying. This isn't a story about a family and their grief, or about a murder, this is a story about a community caught up in a murder and the grief that brings.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think for the most part, yes, it has been a success but there's still the fact that we've got over six months left to go before we find out who actually killed Lucy though.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    I wonder if that story was a dirty protest by one of the writers. "You want filler rubbish, I'll give you filler rubbish!":D

And no doubt Tunagate was inspired by Lorraine leaving her lunch in the (distracted by hot guy walking past window) studio canteens fridge :D
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

erm, Friday ended with Billy becoming a possible subject - first time the SL has been touched on in about 2 weeks

I am allowed to be bored with it - its not a crime - I just wish the pace would pick up a little as I am loosing interest
  • B_Bowler27B_Bowler27 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Great post op. Perfectly summed up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it so far.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a mistake letting us know that we wouldn't get the reveal until Christmas/30th Anniversary. Because now we know that anyone put in the frame this early on aren't guilty.So there's no real suspense over Billy being put in the frame, nor was there with Jake. It's like a rickity wheel, where it stops no-one knows. So there will be a lot of red herring suspects between now and nearer the reveal. This makes it all boring for me to be honest.
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has up until now I think, but when the murderer is revealed, everyone will go "was that it!" because everyone has been suspected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And no doubt Tunagate was inspired by Lorraine leaving her lunch in the (distracted by hot guy walking past window) studio canteens fridge :D

:D I shudder to think where the inspiration for the Baby Swap came from.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I really like it. They seem to be pacing it quite well - not too much, not too little - I think it makes sense to feature it about once a month. We find out new information each time and a lot of it hasn't been in the spoilers, so it's keeping the audience gripped. Not all murder cases get solved within a few months so I don't mind waiting 10 months for this