Options

British Sign Language

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,609
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'd like to learn British Sign Language but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd like to do it for a job. Where should I start?

I don't want to end up doing a course that is mostly for basics and doesn't lead anywhere. Can I do this part time as I'm a housewife and mother?

I don't expect many replies but does anyone know a serious, dedicated course I can do? :)

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    neddy2000 wrote:
    I'd like to learn British Sign Language but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd like to do it for a job. Where should I start?

I don't want to end up doing a course that is mostly for basics and doesn't lead anywhere. Can I do this part time as I'm a housewife and mother?

I don't expect many replies but does anyone know a serious, dedicated course I can do? :)

Perhaps you could volunteer at a deaf centre or something?
    I've learnt a little sign language from when I was working with someone who was deaf, the best way to learn is by doing it with other people.

It's a great skill to have even if you dont use it for a job, it's good in noisy environments for instance. I hoestly think it should be taught as a second language.
  • Options
    cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    prozac~reserveprozac~reserve Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    neddy2000 wrote:

ive thought about doing a signing class also, so that i can teach my daughter too when she is older. my mother in law is in childcare, and can sign through courses she attended. she days that most local authorities run classes, and you can find the information through your local library and council offices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,292
    Forum Member
    http://www.learntosign.org.uk/
    This seems like a good site- with lots of links to courses.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neddy2000 wrote:

I don't want to put you off but it takes years to train to be a sign language interpreter. I gave up because I found that it was quicker to train to be a lawyer.

If you want to start I suggest you contact the University of Wolverhampton as they run a degree programme that covers everything. You don't need much to enter as there is a foundation year.

If you don't live anywhere near there and can't move then the next best step is to take level 1 and level 2 classes near where you live. You'll probably go once a week and it will take you a year for each level. Level 2 is equivalent to GCSE and gives you enough to communicate. Level 3 is equivalent to A level, but to do this you need to be working with deaf people. To be a qualified interpreter you need Level 4 and to be on the register.

Start by looking to see if there are any level 1 classes in your area. They may be taught at a local college or voluntary centre. If you can't find anything doing a search on the net then try asking the main deaf orgainisation if they know of anywhere, RNID, BDA (British Deaf Institute) and RAD (Royal association for the Deaf).

Hope that helps. It's worth doing even if you only get to level 2 and there are plenty of jobs you can do with level 2 - but you won't be an interpreter. :)
  • Options
    DieDieMyDarlingDieDieMyDarling Posts: 4,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being the son of a man who was born deaf and dumb, i would strongly recommend you try another vocation. I've thought about it myself, having grown up doing sign language, i have that bit mastered etc, but having grown up in a social circle that included a lot of deaf people, i know how damn stubborn and pig headed deaf people are.

Some might think that's rather stereotypical, but trust me, they aren't easy to work with at all. It must be something to do with always relying on others to put accross a point, or something, but it's very difficult to reason with a deaf person, and even more difficult to change their mind once it's made. The money is great, but i really don't think it would be worth the stress.
  • Options
    padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    I have CACDP BSL Level I. It was a year long course that was three hours a week with a conversation test at the end. After the course I can converse in a Brit on holiday abroad sort of way.

Learning BSL was a lot of fun but it was a steep learning curve because our tutor was deaf and did not have strong speech skills so we had to learn to understand him quickly. I was told The Level II and Level III qualifications increase steeply in difficulty..

I will do level II one day but I don't have the time at the moment .. although once you know the basics there's a lot you pick up from deaf people and from resources on the net.

I just did the course for the hell of it. I don't know any deaf people but it has come in useful when I meet them and it's extremely useful for communicating drinks orders to my sister if she's at the bar in the pub (she took the course too :))

The courses were offered at my local adult education centre but are based on a syllabus from the CACP (Council for the Advancement of Communication with Deaf People). The BDA also have a qualification system. To qualify as an interpreter you have to so several levels - details are on the website

www.cacdp.org.uk

http://www.cacdp.org.uk/Qual_Training/PDFs/Qualifications.pdf
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your responses. You've given me a lot more points to think about.

Thank you Diediemydarling for the other point of view. I will definitely take that into consideration because I was thinking there would not be a lot of stress involved (apart from the learning aspect) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I am very good with British Sign Language.

If you wanna learn BSL, I advice you to contact your local "Deaf Club" or any other town.

Paul
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I studied British Sign Language at my local adult education college. If you have a local college/evening class place they would probably do it. Just make sure that it's CACDP registered.

Have a nice day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some BSL. Easier to learn than a foreign language. I have a bit of difficulty with the BSL order.

Like in English you would say "what is your name".

In BSL you sign.. "name your what"

In longer sentences I find it a bit harder but getting there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to learn BSL properly. I learnt the alphabet years ago - but not much more. Met a deaf chap in a pub years back and could have a conversation with him but because I had to spell out each word it took a while.

Personally I'd like to see this taught in schools so it becomes part of us - I learnt French etc which is not of a great use to me whereas BSL would be of far more use as I'm more likely to meet people with hearing problems in everyday life than the French
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the "Teach Yourself British Sign Language" book is very highly rated. It receives great reviews online and is pretty reasonable at only £14 on Amazon.

My uncle is deaf and I'd love to be able to communicate fully with him, but I just don't see him enough to take the time out to do these courses etc.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garfie wrote: »
    I'd love to learn BSL properly. I learnt the alphabet years ago - but not much more. Met a deaf chap in a pub years back and could have a conversation with him but because I had to spell out each word it took a while.

Couldn't you have just written notes to each other?
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing a BSL course at the moment. I love it!
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing Level 1 BSL at my local adult education. I love it! Because we are a low income family it's only cost me £15. Also, the course is on line, look up BSL Signature.

If you do it at local Adult Ed, you do the first six weeks basic course, then do a test; so long as you pass you then spend the rest of the year doing Level 1. I'm learnning it to communicate with deaf members of my Church. I also do a lesson at Church every week where I learn basic BSL and Church terminology. The Adult Ed class is great, we all get along well and don't mind laughing at ourselves if we get it wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Saw 2 blokes having a huge argument in sign language years ago.
    It was hell of sight because they were nose to nose arguing then giving each other room to tell each what they thought of each other then nose to nose again.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8801 wrote: »
    Saw 2 blokes having a huge argument in sign language years ago.
    It was hell of sight because they were nose to nose arguing then giving each other room to tell each what they thought of each other then nose to nose again.

I seen something very similar in Glasgow a few years back :o
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some BSL. Easier to learn than a foreign language. I have a bit of difficulty with the BSL order.

Like in English you would say "what is your name".

In BSL you sign.. "name your what"

In longer sentences I find it a bit harder but getting there.

That's actually a Yorkshire thing. :D BSL does have local dialects and accents. Examples:

North = "name what?"
    North west/east = "what name yours?"
    Wales = "current name?" or "sign name?"
    South = "your name?"
    South west = "name, what's it?"

Edit: Just realised we can't see dialects/signs in this post. :o It was so clear in my head when I wrote this. Moving on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, now, Charlie Swinbourne's Four Deaf Yorkshiremen (see it on his Youtube) never gets old!
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being the son of a man who was born deaf and dumb, i would strongly recommend you try another vocation. I've thought about it myself, having grown up doing sign language, i have that bit mastered etc, but having grown up in a social circle that included a lot of deaf people, i know how damn stubborn and pig headed deaf people are.

Some might think that's rather stereotypical, but trust me, they aren't easy to work with at all. It must be something to do with always relying on others to put accross a point, or something, but it's very difficult to reason with a deaf person, and even more difficult to change their mind once it's made. The money is great, but i really don't think it would be worth the stress.

I know what you mean my sister in -law and her husband are deaf they are unbelievebly stubborn we've had quite a few arguments with them Lol:)