Options

Team (Judy) Murray lets win for Scotland

Comments

• Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has your ex also done all of the other stuff detailed in the other paragraphs of the post you selectively edited? If so I'd love to see him on the show.

No, he's not done tennis coaching, just scientific research, authored more than 500 research papers, written or edited 27 books (including his autobiography), is a Fellow of quite a few professional institutes, was the youngest professorial head of department at a British university at the time of his initial appointment, and has appeared on TV on numerous occasions - and I've selectively edited his biography rather more than I edited Tom's post...

...and you still wouldn't want to see him on the dance floor.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she does well. Already seen bitter people criticising her all over the place for amongst other things, her accent, her children, her hair cut, her passionate support of her son during matches and her looks so I hope, hope, hope that the Daily Mail brigade don't ruin the experience for her based on their wrong perception of her.

She's lovely and a real fan of the show, and although I don't think she will win, I hope she lasts a while. She's achieved a lot, and deserves her day in the spotlight - it's small reward for what she's given to British tennis, both men's and women's. I'd certainly rather have someone like her than some of the other contestants we've had in the past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    No, he's not done tennis coaching, just scientific research, authored more than 500 research papers, written or edited 27 books (including his autobiography), is a Fellow of quite a few professional institutes, was the youngest professorial head of department at a British university at the time of his initial appointment, and has appeared on TV on numerous occasions - and I've selectively edited his biography rather more than I edited Tom's post...

Sure I would - he sounds like an interesting individual who isn't afraid of working hard and meeting a challenge. That's exactly the type of person I like to see on SCD.
  • Options
    AngelaAngela Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »

Ok now we know... He's marvelous... Why is it so hard for you that Judy Murray might be considered a celebrity and your ex is not... :confused:

I hope she does well, she already said that she's no a good dancer at all, but I think with her competitive attitude she will work hard and who knows....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chels.p wrote: »
    Bleurgh. I'm from Scotland btw and this has nothing to do with independence-just can't stand Judy Murray from what I've seen. Which other tennis player's family finds it necessary to aggressively stand up and fist pump almost every time their son wins a point.

However, I will attempt to overlook my dislike and she may come across lovely on strictly....

Loads of parents/coaches do it - in fact several parents of top players have been removed from tournaments and/or banned from venues due to reactions that go way beyond standing up or fist pumping in support. Does she even do it that much? Usually she's quite poker-faced and reserved, and tends only to react on the key points, certainly not most of them.

Of all the reasons to single her out for dislike, that's a pretty odd one.
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    Loads of parents/coaches do it - in fact several parents of top players have been removed from tournaments and/or banned from venues due to reactions that go way beyond standing up or fist pumping in support. Does she even do it that much? Usually she's quite poker-faced and reserved, and tends only to react on the key points, certainly not most of them.

Of all the reasons to single her out for dislike, that's a pretty odd one.

I can't say as I particularly like her fist pumps, but she's certainly not alone. The families of Djokovic, Nadal, Dokic, Tomic are all fist-pumping and more. Federer's family are fairly restrained, but even they get excited on key points.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say as I particularly like her fist pumps, but she's certainly not alone. The families of Djokovic, Nadal, Dokic, Tomic are all fist-pumping and more. Federer's family are fairly restrained, but even they get excited on key points.

Yup. Maybe they get more of a pass because they're not single women but I have seen infinitely worse by others not get the same comments.

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned as long as she's not punching people on the practice court (like Tomic's dad) or things of that ilk, then if she wants to cheer or scowl or whatever while watching the matches then it's fair game. God knows I do worse and it's not my son playing. Andy or the other players certainly don't seem to have an issue with it.

Maybe one day she'll pull out the T-shirts like the Djokovic's and then that'll really give people a reason to whine about her. Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe one day she'll pull out the T-shirts like the Djokovic's and then that'll really give people a reason to whine about her. Lol

It was Djok's parents who immediately sprang to mind when JM's fist pumping was deemed a reason to dislike her.

Still, maybe one day Federer will be provoked to tell Judy to 'be quiet' while she abuses him from the players box, eh ;)
  • Options
    Sue_HowarthSue_Howarth Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is going to miss the Us Open
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is going to miss the Us Open

Oh, I don't think she/we will ;-)
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0474yct

This is a link to her appearance on Desert Island Discs. I ended up listening to this when I was stuck in a traffic jam!. In it, she talks about how she was not tough enough to cope on the professional tennis circuit and also about Dunblane.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. Maybe they get more of a pass because they're not single women but I have seen infinitely worse by others not get the same comments.

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned as long as she's not punching people on the practice court (like Tomic's dad) or things of that ilk, then if she wants to cheer or scowl or whatever while watching the matches then it's fair game. God knows I do worse and it's not my son playing. Andy or the other players certainly don't seem to have an issue with it.

No, Judy goes out and knocks some balls around with some kids in the crowds at Wimbledon, hopefully inspiring them to start playing tennis because she took the time to do that.
  • Options
    hippychickxxxhippychickxxx Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2512 wrote: »
    Judith "Judy" Murray (née Erskine; born 8 September 1959) is a Scottish tennis coach and current captain of the British Fed Cup team.

She won 64 titles in Scotland during her junior and senior career, but when she toured internationally she says she was out-matched by players in stronger programs. She thus decided to go to university instead of competing herself. She began coaching and was the initial coach for both her sons before handing over the reins as their professional careers bloomed.

Aside from her own sons, she has coached multiple players at regional and national level under the auspices of the British tennis governing body, the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA). In December 2011 she was elected to lead the British Fed cup team as their captain.[5] She says she took the job in part to raise the profile of female coaches and alleviate some of the sexism that she says remains in the sport.

Murray was awarded an honorary Doctorate by the University of Edinburgh on 8th October 2013.[7] She had previously graduated in French and Business at the University in 1981.

Judy is now a respected commentator and summariser with BBC sport and BT Sport and is widely regarded as one of most famous woman in British tennis at the moment

ta - so basically she is a tennis pro who didn't make the grade so decided to coach and commentate instead - fair play to her

i really know nothing about tennis and just kept wondering why everyone seems to think the sun shines out of her backside - now i know something about tennis :)
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing Judy. Having seen her interviewed a few times she always seems very down to earth and able to laugh at herself. I like her and think she'll give it her all, which is all I ask from anyone who signs up.
  • Options
    nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it :D I've met her and she's lovely, and a real fan of the show and Artem in particular! I hope she enjoys it:)
  • Options
    chels.pchels.p Posts: 281
    Forum Member

I don't disagree that other players' families stand up and fist pump on key points, but I have found JM more aggressive than the average mother/wife/father/etc when she fist pumps. Kim Sears stands up a lot but she doesn't do it so aggressively.

And having watched a lot of tennis I find Murray's camp stand up more than many of the other top players. Federer's basically only stand up on break point wins (which even then is very occasional) or set point wins.

However, as I've said before, I reserve the right to change my opinion on JM during Strictly, as I've only ever seen her during Andy's tennis matches.

And let's not even get started on Tomic's dad...
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only ever seen her in the players box. She sure can pull some faces. Hope she can shut her critics up. She got my votes already,and not because she is Scottish, because of the bile already coming her way. She might turn out to be half way decent.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    She is funny articulate and a real fan of the show.

What's this got to do exactly to being a contestant???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Presumably the OP means that she will be entertaining to watch and eager to make the most of her experience of being on the show, unlike some others who were seemingly only there for the fee (e.g. Jerry Hall).

Turn it around: would 'She's a sourpuss and hates the show' make her sound like a great contestant ? (Maybe it would, for very different reasons).
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Judy was just a fist pumping figure in the players' box I really didn't like the look of her. I recently saw her interviewed about Elena Baltacha and she was lovely. I hope she survives at least a few weeks so that the general public gets to see a bit more of the real Judy (whatever that may be).

Good luck to her!
  • Options
    Tom2512Tom2512 Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Judy was just a fist pumping figure in the players' box I really didn't like the look of her. I recently saw her interviewed about Elena Baltacha and she was lovely. I hope she survives at least a few weeks so that the general public gets to see a bit more of the real Judy (whatever that may be).

Good luck to her!

Yeah lets hope she can do it for SCOTLAND :)
  • Options
    Tom2512Tom2512 Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think now as the first 5 weeks have shown Judy has come across very well in the post match interviews
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2512 wrote: »
    Yeah lets hope she can do it for SCOTLAND :)

I reckon you're a WUM. And a poor one at that
  • Options
    mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe someone can explain to me why this woman is a celebrity - as far as i know all she did was give birth to someone who could be called a celebrity

seriously, has she done anything herself or is she just famous because her son

is?

She is an accomplished player in her own right. But as a coach is considered world class. She is by no means merely a 'tennis mum'
  • Options
    Bigvern04Bigvern04 Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Did you necro this thread tom2512 because your other thread got locked?

This is nothing but nationalistic hysteria which does not belong in a forum such as this. I wonder if the DS mods have a ban hammer?