44 Years Ago Today (Aberfan)

HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
Forum Member
✭✭✭
44 years ago today was one of the most awful disasters in Uk history. It was Aberfan. It is the one disaster that makes my skin creep to this day.

How many here remember Aberfan?

I cannot really remember it on the day but I remember the aftermath, particularly the collection which was so horribly abused by the Coal Board.

See Aberfan

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that the one where all the school children got buried alive?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    44 years ago today was one of the most awful disasters in Uk history. It was Aberfan. It is the one disaster that makes my skin creep to this day.

How many here remember Aberfan?

I cannot really remember it on the day but I remember the aftermath, particularly the collection which was so horribly abused by the Coal Board.

See Aberfan

I don't actually remember it - by which I mean I wasn't aware of it at the time.

But crikey - that was a dreadful terrible thing to happen :(

I remember the picture of the policeman carrying the child from the scene.

We should never forget them.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »

That is right. The mudslide rolled down a hillside and swept over a school shortly after they had started classes for the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

[/URL]

Hillsborough was pretty horrific too, the images of the liverpool fans crushed against the fences:cry:
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »

It was.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster
    Although the Davies Report had found that the NCB's liability was "incontestable and uncontested" and it was widely felt that the NCB should have to bear the entire cost of removing the dangerous tips above Aberfan, Robens refused to pay the full cost, thereby putting the Trustees of the Disaster Fund under "intolerable pressure". Robens then "raided" £150,000 from the Fund to cover the cost of removing the tips – an action that was "unquestionably unlawful" under charity law – and the Charity Commission took no action to protect the Fund from Robens's dubious appropriation of funds
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster#The_Disaster_Fund
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A truly dreadful disaster. I wasn't alive when it happened, but that doesn't make it any less horrific in my mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After many years the Coal Board eventually gave the money back but did not pay interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A truly dreadful disaster. I wasn't alive when it happened, but that doesn't make it any less horrific in my mind.

It was almost a whole generation of children from just one village. I can't think of anything comparable apart from Dunblane.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was almost a whole generation of children from just one village. I can't think of anything comparable apart from Dunblane.

One of my very best friends is from Aberdare the next valley over from Aberfan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my very best friends is from Aberdare the next valley over from Aberfan.

I can imagine that it must still be a huge scar on everyone in the area.

It must take generations to get over something like that.

It is hard to even begin to imagine the pain.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember it...........it was terrible

It was just so sad seeing the parents waiting for bodies to be recovered

I remember the stories of miners rushing from the pits to dig away at the mud.

I remember the queen visiting the site.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member

Likewise.

I can remember my gran telling me about how those at the rescue site were pulling their own children's bodies out of the rubble. :(
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know about it at the time, too young, but we told about it in junior school.

I remember when Dunblane happened and one of the little kids I was working with asked was it likely to happen to them, and I just said 'No,it's highly unlikely', I still don't regret that, as this kid would have lived the rest of his life in fear.

(long story but he has autism and it could easily have been something he would 'obsess over' without any valid reason).
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Aberfan was the first disaster memory I have. It dominated the papers and television. So sad a wole generation wiped out in minutes.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It was such a tragic event and I remember it very well.

I was the same age as the children involved and wanted to do anything I could to help. There was an appeal for things to be sent to the injured and surviving children and I remember I collected my comic collection together and me and Mum parcelled it up and sent it (there was some sort of freepost service) and off they went with a letter I'd written.

It wasn't much but I thought if they entertained just one child and took his/her mind off of things for a while, it would be worth it.

R.I.P.to all those involved.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I should have to "remember" something that happened before I was born. I guess that's why events kind of trail off after 100 years or so. If they didn't, every day would have a rememberance ceremony or two and nobody would get anything done then.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    I don't think I should have to "remember" something that happened before I was born. I guess that's why events kind of trail off after 100 years or so. If they didn't, every day would have a rememberance ceremony or two and nobody would get anything done then.

I promise you there is no shortage of people in the South Wales area still living who knew people who were killed on that terrible day. There will still be people living with us for at least another 40 years who will have clear, first-hand memories of the disaster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Likewise.

I can remember my gran telling me about how those at the rescue site were pulling their own children's bodies out of the rubble. :(

Yes it was a disaster like no other.
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was such a tragic event and I remember it very well.

I was the same age as the children involved and wanted to do anything I could to help. There was an appeal for things to be sent to the injured and surviving children and I remember I collected my comic collection together and me and Mum parcelled it up and sent it (there was some sort of freepost service) and off they went with a letter I'd written.

It wasn't much but I thought if they entertained just one child and took his/her mind off of things for a while, it would be worth it.

R.I.P.to all those involved.

Guess I must be about the same age as you then. I remember our class collecting for the families involved. I never dreamed that I would find myself living in South Wales. I read recently that the largest recorded donation to the appeal fund was made by Ronnie and Reggie Kray. It really was a different world in those days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    Guess I must be about the same age as you then. I remember our class collecting for the families involved. I never dreamed that I would find myself living in South Wales. I read recently that the largest recorded donation to the appeal fund was made by Ronnie and Reggie Kray. It really was a different world in those days.

I remember it being suggested that 2 shillings (10p) would be an appropiate donate. 2 shillings was an awful lot of money in 1966.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 9 years old and didn't know anything about it until I got back from school. I don't think I really realised the enormity of the tragedy at the time. I do remember prayers in school chapel the next day.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching a documentary about this terrible event some years ago. Of course there are also photographs available but I could not believe that the Coal Board were allowed to have that huge, threatening and obviously unstable heap of stuff so close to the village and of course to the little school. It towered over the whole place and yet I suppose, people trusted that the authorities knew what they were doing. How utterly terrifying it must have been for those children to see the landslide coming towards them. I hope they had a quick death and did not suffer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember it well. As kids we were told all about it by our teachers and I remember that we raised money for the fund.
    It was just so awful, every parent's nightmare.
    Sadly since then we have also had Dunblane
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aberfan and Dunblane.Awful beyond belief.
    R.I.P to all who passed away
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Yes, I remember it...........it was terrible

It was just so sad seeing the parents waiting for bodies to be recovered

I remember the stories of miners rushing from the pits to dig away at the mud.

I remember the queen visiting the site.

It really was a very very sad time - I remember saying prayers in assembly for all concerned in the tragedy :(