"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    STV bosses admitted that they planned to make use of the library of archive film at their disposal - but the end result does not need to be cheap and cheerless.

The BBC, some years ago, had a great series called 'The Rock and Roll Years'. It worked it's way through the various decades using newreel footage and the music of the time. They showed us the main stories for each year, the world events, the fashions, the sports stories and the broadcasting (films at the cinema, concerts, TV etc). All in just 30 minute episodes. No talking heads, just on screen captions.

Is there ANY reason why STV can not use their extensive archives to make something that viewers will enjoy?

Don't get me wrong an archive clips show can be entertaining, whether it is music, football or Scotland on Film.
    But when the majority of a channel's output is raided from the archive or from a helicopter over Scotland it gets tiresome. Especially, when it is an opt-out from popular, classy and expensive network drama.
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since STV are determined to drop 2 hour dramas like Poirot, Marple, Midsomer - why on earth do they not make new Taggart stories of the same length?

At least that way we would get a 'like for like' 2 hours of new drama.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Since STV are determined to drop 2 hour dramas like Poirot, Marple, Midsomer - why on earth do they not make new Taggart stories of the same length?

At least that way we would get a 'like for like' 2 hours of new drama.

Because Itv still pay 50% (up until this year it was 100%) of the cost of Taggart and they call the shots. Taggart has only ever been a post watershed show, so the variance of it's length has always been tied to Itv's late news option.
    Hence, 2 hour Taggarts when Itn was at 11, 90 mins when at 10.30 and 1 hour with News at Ten.
    Taggart cannot run at 8pm, when all these other 2 hour shows are seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have tried to screen repeats pre-watershed before.

Hard to imagine ANYONE thought this was a responsible thing to do. :eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/sep/29/itv.ofcom
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have tried to screen repeats pre-watershed before.

Hard to imagine ANYONE thought this was a responsible thing to do. :eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/sep/29/itv.ofcom

thats STV for you "being victor" is aimed at adults but its getting put throught before watershed

I notice when they advertise "underbelly" they say programme contains "adult content" but "being victor" has not got a warning. STV I believe have no idea what they are doing!
  • Loop o' SoupLoop o' Soup Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    angustay wrote: »
    Calm down, Don't worry I would never expose anyone's real identity on these forums as I myself would not want anyone to expose me.

Not in the mood for arguing as I am off for a few days in the sun:)

Go on feel free to expose who you think i am, its no skin of my nose at all.

The test screening i was referring to was that of the movie,not the tv offering.

STV & the smelly tramp Geldof have one thing in common, they both dine out on their one past glory from yonks ago, in Geldofs case its his absurd one hit wonder group with 'i dont't like mondays' and for STV it is the now irrelevant 'Taggart' a show that died with Mark McManus.
  • angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From mobile
    Recently viewed the crap at a test screening, mate you are not missing much in my opinion, messy,unbalanced an like the STV schedule Burpe & Hare has no idea of what it wants to get across to the victims,sorry viewers.

You made out you saw the preview of the STV documentary which is what everyone on here was talking about now you change your story and say it was the film. You have an obvious hatred for STV and are willing to lie about things you have no knowledge of. The documentary has very little to do with the film and more to do with the true event.

Looks like rain is gone and the sun has come out again so I am off.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV & the smelly tramp Geldof have one thing in common, they both dine out on their one past glory from yonks ago, in Geldofs case its his absurd one hit wonder group with 'i dont't like mondays' .

12 hit wonder actually, 6 of which were top 10:)
    Forum Member
    From mobile

You made out you saw the preview of the STV documentary which is what everyone on here was talking about now you change your story and say it was the film. You have an obvious hatred for STV and are willing to lie about things you have no knowledge of. The documentary has very little to do with the film and more to do with the true event.

Looks like rain is gone and the sun has come out again so I am off.

No once again you fail to grasp what i said, in no way did i ever indicate i viewed the borefest STV crap, i did however see the FILM at a test screening. And again i ask you 'Who do you think i am' , tell the forum, yes i want to see if you can get this one fact about me and my real identity right. You cannot make an assumption and not back it up.

Again i make it quite clear to you that i have no connection to the broadcast media other than a shareholding in ITV.
    12 hit wonder actually, 6 of which were top 10:)

:o my bad, i assumed he only had one top ten hit, six is not too shabby. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where your hatred of STV comes from but lifes to short to argue over something so trivial so I apologize for any offense I may have caused.

I hope this message gets through as the wifi here sucks an keeps cutting out.

Apologies again :)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least it seems from the news report this week that we have not missed a lot with Downton Abbey, it sounds a very sloppy "period" production with double yellow lines, TV aerial, power lines and lots of other errors.
    Forum Member
    I don't know where your hatred of STV comes from but lifes to short to argue over something so trivial so I apologize for any offense I may have caused.

I hope this message gets through as the wifi here sucks an keeps cutting out.

Apologies again :)

No need to apologise, it makes a change to debate with someone who has a passion and fertile interest in the subject at hand, we will never agree on the subject of STV but one thing is for sure i respect your opinion on the subject. :)

Enjoy your place in the sun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks sometimes I get carried away but I to respect your opinions and everyone on here even if I disagree:). I tend to look at it from a business point of view rather than a viewer and although I think STV has done a lot in the past year that has worked such as launching HD and STV player and shows like Underbelly, vet school and Taggart which gets good ratings and increases local advertising that could not have been done under ITV but I understand why many viewers are upset at opt outs.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcoms official view on STV opt outs. I meant to put this in my last post but the wifi cut out again. The director of the Scottish division of broadcasting watchdog, Ofcom, has entered the current debate on programme scheduling by STV by confirming that what STV screens is mostly its own affair.

“It is a strategic decision for STV, as a commercial organisation, to choose its own schedule in the interest of its viewers. It is not for Ofcom to make detailed scheduling decision of this kind.”

http://www.allmediascotland.com/press_news/27595/stv--s-scheduling-mostly-its-own-affair-confirms-ofcom-chief
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Hear, hear!

Didn't the majority of the public know that anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcoms official view on STV opt outs. I meant to put this in my last post but the wifi cut out again. The director of the Scottish division of broadcasting watchdog, Ofcom, has entered the current debate on programme scheduling by STV by confirming that what STV screens is mostly its own affair.

“It is a strategic decision for STV, as a commercial organisation, to choose its own schedule in the interest of its viewers. It is not for Ofcom to make detailed scheduling decision of this kind.”

http://www.allmediascotland.com/press_news/27595/stv--s-scheduling-mostly-its-own-affair-confirms-ofcom-chief

BUT when only one area is taking the cuts - drama - is it "in the interest of the viewers"?

We are told that STV give us 95% of the ITV schedule, but the missing 5% is nothing but drama. Hardly fair. Let's see STV drop X Factor or BGT......

'Downton Abbey' may not be flawless, but it has to better than a decade old BBC repeat any night of the week.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Obviously, ITV plc doesn't care about viewers outside its own franchise areas because, if it did, it would have suspended the broadcast of the dramas in question, and shown repeats instead, until the dispute with STV had been resolved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BUT when only one area is taking the cuts - drama - is it "in the interest of the viewers"?

We are told that STV give us 95% of the ITV schedule, but the missing 5% is nothing but drama. Hardly fair. Let's see STV drop X Factor or BGT......

'Downton Abbey' may not be flawless, but it has to better than a decade old BBC repeat any night of the week.......

I'm sorry, I don't wish to be rude, but I find it exceedingly aggravating when people talk about the 1 week of 'a decade old BBC repeat' and completely neglect the other SIX weeks in question where Downton Abbey has been replaced by another HD drama with a similarly high budget. Its exactly the same as some of the coverage in the tabloids. We're not comparing like with like here and its very frustrating to see it dredged up time and time again.

I don't work for STV nor am I 100% behind every single opt-out they've made, but it is a bit draining to see the negative spin put on stories that are, for all intents and purposes, two-sided.
    Tonight was a perfect example. We will probably read more about the old nature programme put out instead of the first hour of Poirot than we will on the new, and quite interesting, documentary put out instead of the second hour of Poirot. Time will tell I guess.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had earlier made a comment about not wishing to watch the Burke and Hare documentary on STV last night. I did watch it, apart from the first 15 minutes, and have to say found it very interesting, so well done STV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are correct, BBC4ever, that only week 1 of DA was replaced by a 'decades old repeat' - subsequent weeks have been filled with the new series of Taggart.

So - why not begin new 'Taggart' at the same time as DA, so that STV viewers would also be getting a new drama at the same time as ITV? Why fill one week with an 'old favourite'? :confused:

If they will show old shows made by rival TV companies, STV cannot expect potential viewers NOT to discuss them.
  • excel99excel99 Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are correct, BBC4ever, that only week 1 of DA was replaced by a 'decades old repeat' - subsequent weeks have been filled with the new series of Taggart.

So - why not begin new 'Taggart' at the same time as DA, so that STV viewers would also be getting a new drama at the same time as ITV? Why fill one week with an 'old favourite'? :confused:
    Clearly STV made a big PR mistake here which isn't helping them. I would think most people would agree with you that Taggart should have begun the same week as Downton Abbey. (Though STV would have struggled still as DA was 90 minutes for the opener, at least the first hour would have still held up reasonably well)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm honest, I agree with that. Although Downton Abbey was 7 eps and Taggart 6, showing the Billy Connelly programme in the final week of DA rather than the first would have been less of a publicity nightmare.

You live and learn from these things I guess.
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viewers in Scotland are turning their backs on STV and watching ITV programmes via Channel 993 (ITV1 London):
    Tens of thousands of Scottish viewers are regularly watching ITV1 London to see network programmes being dropped by STV, according to independent audience research.

The figures from rating consultancy Attentional suggest more Scottish viewers with satellite tv watched the costume drama Downton Abbey on ITV1 London than tuned in to the documentary STV showed instead.

According to the figures, 152,000 Scots watched the first episode of Downton Abbey while 88,000 satellite viewers watched Billy Connolly's 1990s documentary A Scot In the Arctic.

The Attentional figures are in line with other figures which have been seen internally by broadcasters but which have not been made public.

Some advertising agencies believe that STV could lose out commercially because of this but the broadcaster believes its overall strategy is a success.

Viewers with satellite or cable television are able to watch ITV1 London on Sky 993, Freesat 977 and Virgin 853.

However viewers with Freeview cannot and the company's decision to drop Downton Abbey was the subject of much newspaper comment.

STV's Billy Connolly documentary attracted a total of 370,000 viewers once people with Freeview and analogue tv are factored into the equation.

But some believe the fact that so many satellite viewers opted for ITV1 London instead could prove significant.

For more than a year, STV has regularly dropped the bulk of ITV network drama. It has also increased the amount of Scottish material it produces.

STV and ITV are currently engaged in a legal dispute, with each company suing the other for more than £30m. It is due in court next year.

Other viewing figures suggest several other ITV1 programmes, which are not shown on STV, are gaining significant audiences in Central and Northern Scotland.

On 19 September, 122,000 people in the STV region watched the drama Joe Maddison's War - similar to the number watching The Lost Legion on STV at the same time.

Another recent ITV1 drama - U Be Dead - won 93,000 viewers despite the fact it was not being screened on STV.

STV says its programme strategy has "at its heart the provision of a rich, affordable schedule, including 95% ITV network material".

It also says it is on track to achieve the same share of viewing for 2010 as the ITV network as a whole.

However, until last year STV's audience share was higher than the average for the ITV network across the UK. Historically STV's ratings were often significantly higher than the UK average.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11660866
    So what's the excuse this time, Angus?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the figures, 152,000 Scots watched the first episode of Downton Abbey while 88,000 satellite viewers watched Billy Connolly's 1990s documentary A Scot In the Arctic.

One programme is all they mention and every channel has an off day.
    The Attentional figures are in line with other figures which have been seen internally by broadcasters but which have not been made public.

If the figures were real they would have been published if not there not news worthy meaning nothing but speculation.

And as for ITV1 satellite in Scotland when STV's HD channel launches that channel will be removed as will ITV2 as STV lease both to ITV.

As for it affecting advertisers and sponsors the only effect it will have is on ITV as ITV can no longer guarantee their sponsors being showen in Scotland so advertisers will have to drop ITV altogether, renegotiate a new deal for less money with ITV or 2 seperate deals with STV and ITV. No big deal as STV has already poached 2 ITV sponsors for next year.

Basically tabloid fodder by various so called experts one of which has a vested interest in ITV as he is on their board.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    One programme is all they mention and every channel has an off day.

If the figures were real they would have been published if not there not news worthy meaning nothing but speculation.

And as for ITV1 satellite in Scotland when STV's HD channel launches that channel will be removed as will ITV2 as STV lease both to ITV.

As for it affecting advertisers and sponsors the only effect it will have is on ITV as ITV can no longer guarantee their sponsors being showen in Scotland so advertisers will have to drop ITV altogether, renegotiate a new deal for less money with ITV or 2 seperate deals with STV and ITV. No big deal as STV has already poached 2 ITV sponsors for next year.

Basically tabloid fodder by various so called experts one of which has a vested interest in ITV as he is on their board.

I am sure that many viewers will be able to tune in to ITV London via 10758 Vertical, 22000 5/6. STV may try to force people to watch its dross but I am sure this will fail.
This discussion has been closed.