Options

Early days but opinion on new pros?

Comments

• Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched Tristan on DWTS & love him . I'm gutted he didn't get a contender but am hoping we see lots of him on ITT.

Trent is producing some lovely choreography but I feel him & Pixie are quite cold & emotionless on the floor.

Joanne. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm the gurning reminds me of Karen Hardy & that isn't good.
  • Options
    strictlyinlovestrictlyinlove Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I think Joanne might be feeling a bit of pressure - see if she is as good as her brother kind of thing ..... i am hoping to warm up to her ....her routines have not wowed me so far but then with the guy she is dancing you cannot do much

Trent seems a bit too OTT .....hence me disliking him ...might be pressure of being a newbie

I like Tristan (not just in a physical way) but personality wise ...but then i am biased i love IRISH :):):)

I loved Anya shame she is not back as a pro dancer ...

I did not like Janette last year ...found her a bit too much in your face ... but i am liking her a lot this year .....

Aljaz's routines are magnificent .... i like him a lot ... although i dont particularly find him attractive ....
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personality:
    01. Tristan
    02. Joanne
    03. Trent

Choreography:
    01. Trent
    02. Tristan
    03. Joanne

Couple:
    01. Tristan
    02. Joanne
    03. Trent

Nice post..I agree.;-)
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I love Joanne. It's just a shame she got the dud Scott Mills.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    I think it's very hard to judge a pro on one season given all the variables.
    Everyone seems very well disposed towards Tristan although personally I have been least impressed with his choreographies so far of the three. Last night's effort was frankly unrecognisable as a FT but, on the other hand, I noted his wry expression on ITT when this week's music was mentioned so suspect he may have had it foisted on him. I also wonder if Jennifer did not do many hours training (we used to be told) as she looked the least rehearsed of any of the celebs both this week and last.
    Joanne's efforts have been disappointing given her pro dance credentials but she has a horror celeb in terms of ability. In her tango and sambas there were clear attempts to present recognisable steps for which I give her credit. Again, I fear her freedom to show what she can do for a less gifted pro is being hampered by the producer's music and production choices.
    Trent has the advantage of a musical performer with extensive ballet training. His choreography for weeks two and three have been lovely but, despite all attempts on ITT to suggest being an experienced dancer in one discipline makes it harder than for a novice to learn another, his task is immeasurably easier than the other two newbies. Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy the Trent/Pixie partnership which is suspect is at least partly due to their sibling like appearance - again, not Trent's fault - but the psycho-sexual taboo is hard to over look and makes them a really creepy partnership though no fault of their own.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trent I just cannot warm to him at all, just something not sure what but I would not be upset if he left end of this season

Kevin's sister, seems nice girl, but just not got that personality at all for me

Tristan, really like him, he just sadly has a bad partner, hope he comes back next year
  • Options
    PastaPasta Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I just don't enjoy the Trent/Pixie partnership which is suspect is at least partly due to their sibling like appearance - again, not Trent's fault - but the psycho-sexual taboo is hard to over look and makes them a really creepy partnership though no fault of their own.

They're both blond and not a height mis-match, but I can't see any facial or other obvious resemblance between Pixie and Trent and they clearly sound like they're from opposite sides of the world.

I'm another who can't work out the Trent resistance here, which seems based on the oddest things. To me, Trent is an attractive, cheerful guy with an excellent rapport with his partner, who has delivered very enjoyable dances - something neither of the other newbies have managed, if not necessarily through any fault of theirs. On the superficial, pure-appearance front, he also has the advantage (for me) of not having a full-arm tattoo.

I'd be entirely happy if all three came back next year.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't object to any of them coming back but the more Tristan gets free passes for dire choreography like we saw last night based on his looks the less well-disposed I am towards him (which is unfair of me, because he seems like charm itself as a person).
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    I love Joanne and Tristan, they're both excellent dancers and just so joyful.

Not sold on Trent yet
  • Options
    FarmLoonFarmLoon Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Joanne. I think she's making a good job with the truly dreadful Scott, and she looks great in the video diary previews to the dances. I reckon she's likely to be asked back next year and will be given a better celeb to teach then.

I don't care one way or the other about Tristan but I can't stand Trent. He drives me up the wall. :(
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pasta wrote: »
    They're both blond and not a height mis-match, but I can't see any facial or other obvious resemblance between Pixie and Trent and they clearly sound like they're from opposite sides of the world.

I'm another who can't work out the Trent resistance here, which seems based on the oddest things. To me, Trent is an attractive, cheerful guy with an excellent rapport with his partner, who has delivered very enjoyable dances - something neither of the other newbies have managed, if not necessarily through any fault of theirs. On the superficial, pure-appearance front, he also has the advantage (for me) of not having a full-arm tattoo.

I'd be entirely happy if all three came back next year.

Think there is a massive difference between Pixie and Jennifer/Scott ability so it isn't a fair comparison unlike you give Tristan Pixie for a week and see what he can do. And give Joanne someone like Jake.

Joanne been hampered by awful music and Scott but her choreography to me last night was very similar to Mark Ballas's dwts samba to the same music.

I like Trent and his choreography (though it is easy to show your choreography with a contender) but this partnership with Pixie doesn't make me wants to pick up the phone and vote. They do look like brother and sister but that isn't their fault.

Tristan I have liked since he was in the DWTS troupe and wish he had been given a better partner. By the looks of last night Jennifer did little training this week probably due to filming mrs browns boy and Tristan was given an awful song for a foxtrot like mamma Mia seriously?!? :confused: Huge difference from getting be our guest for a qs which was already used successfully on dwts.
  • Options
    Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like all of them. Wasn't a huge fan of Trent at first because he seemed a bit plastic but he actually seems like a really nice guy and choreographs some lovely routines (though I was shouting "do something in hold!!!" for a while during the QS yesterday - and when they got down to it they really didn't disappoint. When Len talks about sway that's what he means! Just lovely. :))

Jo seems like a lovely girl. She's obviously a very accomplished dancer and a very attractive woman but she seems very very down to earth and sweet. I would like to see what she would do with someone with a bit more ability but her relationship with Scott is nice.

I feel like I fancy Tristan too much to give an objective view, haha.
  • Options
    PastaPasta Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    Think there is a massive difference between Pixie and Jennifer/Scott ability so it isn't a fair comparison unlike you give Tristan Pixie for a week and see what he can do. And give Joanne someone like Jake. .

Of course - which I thought was implicit in the part of my sentence you didn't highlight in bold. I'm simply saying I give Trent credit for delivering; I'm not criticising the others for not delivering. To me, Trent's the one newbie who doesn't need to get the benefit of the doubt. I would like to see Joanne and Tristan with other, better partners. Mind you, I'm a generous soul who would have given Jared Murillo a second chance.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I likened Kevin last year to Tigger, very bouncy and excitable (somewhat ott), and I think Joanne is like that this year. She has a very expressive way about her and seems like she has a lot of excitable energy that might feel a bit too obvious for some viewers. I personally like her, but that's because at the moment I'm a tad blinded by her eye candy offering. Hopefully she'll get a better partner next year (if comes back) to showcase her choreography more, presuming she's got more there to showcase).

In contast Trent seems so laid back it's like he's been on the show for years. He has so far been able to show off his choreogroahy skills the best of the three, but that isn't hard when you have Pixie as your number one ace, whereas Joanne and Tristan have complete opposites in Scott and Jennifer (both very hard to mould into any type of dancing material).

I thought Tristan had the best personality of the boys at first, he seemed fun and his body language appealed to me more, but (imo) he seems to have gone inwards a bit (personality wise) and now Trent seems to be able to hold the bigger smile and look brighter about things (just my own take of course). I wouldn't mind Tristan back next series, but I presume they'll bring Robin back.

Visually as pros, when in Pro dancers, I like them all. It's prob just me, but Joanne and Trent seem to be positioned more at the front of things (and plus focused in camera shots more) whereas Tristan less so, maybe that's just because he's Robin's replacement, or maybe I'm just seeing things in that way, idk.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trent - There's something very Ken doll about Trent but I think he really shines when he dances with Natalie. There's something a bit empty about Pixie (I dont mean that to be mean but from personal experiences with her she never seems all that present) and I think that rubs off on him a little, but can't really fault his work with Pixie. As a replacement for Robin, he has definitely shown his worth and I haven't missed Robin one bit.

Tristan - Been given a bad hand with music choices, dance choices, but not really partner as I think Jennifer has been fine. The only problem is her lack of fanbase and ROI not getting a vote. But I've really liked his work since DWTS and was very happy to hear he was coming over here. He has a lovely manner with the self-conscious older lady. Hope next year he's back to prove his worth with a ~ringah~.

Joanne - Think she's been getting a hard time from others on here, but I like her. Obviously a well accomplished dancer, great in the pro dances imo and very excited to be part of the show. Again been dealt a bad hand with music, themes and dancer but I like her partnership with Scott and think her choreography is actually decent baring the cha cha. Think she's over complicating the routines a little as I don't think Scott will ever push himself the way I think she's trying to do. I see Gavin and Katya vibes with these two with less shyness. Hope she also gets a chance to have a celeb with rhythm next year.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    I likened Kevin last year to Tigger, very bouncy and excitable (somewhat ott), and I think Joanne is like that this year. She has a very expressive way about her and seems like she has a lot of excitable energy that might feel a bit too obvious for some viewers. I personally like her, but that's because at the moment I'm a tad blinded by her eye candy offering. Hopefully she'll get a better partner next year (if comes back) to showcase her choreography more, presuming she's got more there to showcase).

In contast Trent seems so laid back it's like he's been on the show for years. He has so far been able to show off his choreogroahy skills the best of the three, but that isn't hard when you have Pixie as your number one ace, whereas Joanne and Tristan have complete opposites in Scott and Jennifer (both very hard to mould into any type of dancing material).

I thought Tristan had the best personality of the boys at first, he seemed fun and his body language appealed to me more, but (imo) he seems to have gone inwards a bit (personality wise) and now Trent seems to be able to hold the bigger smile and look brighter about things (just my own take of course). I wouldn't mind Tristan back next series, but I presume they'll bring Robin back.

Visually as pros, when in Pro dancers, I like them all. It's prob just me, but Joanne and Trent seem to be positioned more at the front of things (and plus focused in camera shots more) whereas Tristan less so, maybe that's just because he's Robin's replacement, or maybe I'm just seeing things in that way, idk.

Trent was Robin's replacement. Tristan was already cast before Robin was injured. Assuming Robin comes back, it should be Trent who makes room but that doesn't have to be the case (Aliona/Anya springs to mind).
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trent was Robin's replacement. Tristan was already cast before Robin was injured. Assuming Robin comes back, it should be Trent who makes room

Oh right, I read otherwise elsewhere, but will take your knowledge as correct.
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    I don't know that any of the three have made a fantastic impact.

Tristan came in with a certain amount of an existing fanbase and has a charming and engaging personality. He seems to be a good dancer but his dances with Jennifer haven't been great. How much of that has been due to Jennifer herself being stiff, uncomfortable and under-rehearsed is difficult to say. I'd like to see him return with someone good to see what he can do.

Joanne comes in with the advantage/disadvantage of being Kevin's sister, and being a Ballroom Showdance World Champion. So far her choreography has been lame, but as with Jennifer, how much is due to Scott's limitations? Though I find her personality intensely annoying, if I can let Tristan return with a good one, it would only be fair for her too. Begrudgingly.

Trent has the opposite problem - being given someone good, which can be equally thankless. He needs to be seen as getting the best out of a ringer. Has he? Not yet, but it is early days. Nice enough dances, he seems fine. However, as he was drafted in to replace Robin, I don't know if he'll return. I suppose if he wins they'll make room for him?
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    Personally I hope they all get a 2nd season as I feel it's hard to judge when 2 have got no hopers and we don't know if Trent is good because he's got someone like Pixie

However I love Tristan the most as I do know him from DWTS but even then he got no hopers
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pasta wrote: »
    Of course - which I thought was implicit in the part of my sentence you didn't highlight in bold. I'm simply saying I give Trent credit for delivering; I'm not criticising the others for not delivering. To me, Trent's the one newbie who doesn't need to get the benefit of the doubt. I would like to see Joanne and Tristan with other, better partners. Mind you, I'm a generous soul who would have given Jared Murillo a second chance.

Sorry thought that what you were implying but wasnt 100 % sure. And you are generous because Jared ruined Tina O'Brien's chance and she could dance.
    Trent was Robin's replacement. Tristan was already cast before Robin was injured. Assuming Robin comes back, it should be Trent who makes room but that doesn't have to be the case (Aliona/Anya springs to mind).

Anya replaced Emma who pulled out last minute and Aliona replaced an injured Natalie so neither were supposed to be there last series tbh
    Miriam_R wrote: »

I noticed that as well that Trent & Joanne has been front & centre but maybe that is because Tristan has been in Ireland and Scotland so maybe not as much time to reherse hopefully he is out he will be seen more in the pro numbers in the coming weeks, I did notice him more tonight at the front. Also he dances with Kristina so they could have been giving her a lower profile over the past few weeks due to the press coverage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Joanne isn't up to SCD standard. She is way to maniacal for me. Looking at her and Scott in the beginning, I found it hard to tell who the celeb was!! Well, maybe not, but she is pretty bad and her choreography needs work
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tristan is probably the best new pro in my view. Very likable and him and Jennifer seemed to have a good partnership (even if they weren't one of my favourites).

Whereas Joanne and Trent I haven't warmed to so much. Joanne I think may be like Janette and just not have the right partner this year to shine as a pro (even though I'm a Scott Mills fan) and might well improve next year or during this year.

With Trent, I think someone above described him quite well. He creates good routines and has all the elements to be a good pro but I just find him so robotic and can't warm to him and Pixie at all (whereas I can with say Jake & Janette).
    Maybe though I'll be more of a fan next year or if he has a less talented contestant next year - it took me a long time to warm to Aljaz last year whereas now I think he's probably one of the better pros now
  • Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    So its even more important for Trent/Pixie fans to pick up the phone and vote each week. Sadly this show is not about the dancing anymore.

BIB: When was the golden era when it did? People say this every year. Even series 1 had Chris Parker finishing 3 places ahead of Claire Sweeney.
  • Options
    jcooperjcooper Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Love Tristan,he is so likeable and utterly gorgeous, swoon !,
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trent. Perceived as bland by many, I’m quite liking him and he the new pros. Hasn’t exactly got a difficult task with Pixie. Would like to see him get at least one more series, but someone may have to make way for Robin, although I’m not that keen on latter.

Tristram. Seen him on DWTS. The most exciting personality of the new pros. Needs a better dancer to go a long way on Strictly. MUST get another series.

Joanne. Liking her, no special good looks, just an ordinary girl with dance genes in her blood, although she can (over) act the dances very well. Please keep her, we need more BRITS on the show and she deserves a go with a decent dancer next time.