Options

No com 7. For Brighton whitehawk transmitter ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I see you are a neighbour. Our digital radio signal is crap too. Some nights it is almost impossible to listen to it. I end up moving it round the room and have to stop myself from throwing it out of the window. Freeview is just too unreliable, so often it just blocks and squarks. We have to pay for SKY instead. We live in a bungalow so no high buildings anywhere near us. Grrrrr. >:(
    You don't have to pay for Sky. Freesat provides access in areas where Freeview reception is not possible.

Along the south coast, there is considerable co-channel interference, which can make Freeview reception difficult, although the Whitehawk Hill transmitter serves Brighton itself.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan.w wrote: »
    Are they ever going to give us bbc4 and News HD here in Brighton? anyone any news or dates :confused:

No, not with the current plan, COM 7 (and 8) was only ever intended to be available from 30 transmitter sites, and that's it.
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    You don't have to pay for Sky. Freesat provides access in areas where Freeview reception is not possible.

Along the south coast, there is considerable co-channel interference, which can make Freeview reception difficult, although the Whitehawk Hill transmitter serves Brighton itself.

That is true, but I don't think you get so many channels although I have not checked recently. This still will not solve the crap radio signal problem though.
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as a hove resident, you can blame our neighbours the french for no com 7. There is no spare capacity at the moment for the two extra mux's to be broadcasted due to the space being shared with the french. It is why it took so long for channel 5 to arrive and our switch off being the last.

as others have posted when the transmissions move in the next 5 years will see the extra channels
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is true, but I don't think you get so many channels although I have not checked recently. This still will not solve the crap radio signal problem though.

Freesat has almost everything Freeview has, and more (one notable exception are the UKTV channels - Dave and co).

Ideally UKTV (50% owned by the BBC) would come onto Freesat (50% owned by the BBC) at some point in the future though
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    disrember wrote: »
    as a hove resident, you can blame our neighbours the french for no com 7. There is no spare capacity at the moment for the two extra mux's to be broadcasted due to the space being shared with the french. It is why it took so long for channel 5 to arrive and our switch off being the last.

as others have posted when the transmissions move in the next 5 years will see the extra channels

Com 7/8 is only on transmitters covering a large population, Brighton doesn't qualify.
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Freesat has almost everything Freeview has, and more (one notable exception are the UKTV channels - Dave and co).

Ideally UKTV (50% owned by the BBC) would come onto Freesat (50% owned by the BBC) at some point in the future though

BUT not in reality!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Com 7/8 is only on transmitters covering a large population, Brighton doesn't qualify.

As far as I was aware Com 7/8 is using the spare frequencies left over from switch-over and the population size is irrelevant. It is also why the broadcasts are much lower power then the other MUX's being broadcasted from the same transmitter.

mentioned in the news article here

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-23326709
    I live in Hangleton and have perfect DAB reception and can pick solent channels. The whole of sussex DAB is getting major improvements expected to be completed by Dec 2015. You can see the changes here, including power upgrades and new transmitters, its pretty much an all go siutuation

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/DAB_Multiplexes.pdf
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »

You are right but not everyone is able to put a Dish up on there property and there are lots of flats in Brighton and Hove to that can not many Trees too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston, you cannot attach an aerial from your roof to a clock radio sitting beside the bed..

Disrember, thanks for posting that, but don't understand the listing at all. I am an 'old girl' not an engineer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disrember, thanks for posting that, but don't understand the listing at all. I am an 'old girl' not an engineer.

don't worry it too me a while too.

Ok so Page 1, bottom right hand corner if you look Brighton the first column (ie numbers) is the BBC and that shows its being broadcast at 2kw. The second column is d1 or the digital one mux, you can see there is a plan (in red) to double the power from 0.5 to 1kw, this is expected to be done by dec 2015.

If you go to page 5 and find Sussex, you can see the big plan for the sussex coast mux (and the stations) and the new transmitters to start this broadcasting over the whole of Sussex and power increases. again by dec 2015.

On page 14, is the details of the new trial, you may not be able to receive these, but a retune would answer this.

And then finally... click here, go down to march and see the news of the new mux starting, sound digital, in spring 2016 and this will be broadcasted for us via Reigate (E Surrey and Crawley), Guildford (W Surrey), Truleigh Hill (Mid Sussex), Whitehawk Hill (Brighton area), Chillerton Down (South Hampshire, SW Sussex and Isle of Wight).
  • Options
    Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when BBC 3 goes online, will they move BBC 4HD into it's place so that the second class people who also pay the same licence fee but get less service that they find somehow acceptable, can get BBC 4 in HD?
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    So when BBC 3 goes online, will they move BBC 4HD into it's place so that the second class people who also pay the same licence fee but get less service that they find somehow acceptable, can get BBC 4 in HD?
    There are currently no plans to do this, as CBBC HD will be extending its hours, taking some of BBC Three's bandwidth. (Unless BBC Four is cut to 9pm-4am).

As previously posted, towards the end of the decade, the major Freeview frequency replan will enable all viewers to receive all of the BBC's HD channels.
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In short, CBBC HD will be expanding into some of the hours vacated by BBC 3 HD, so there won't be enough room. What the BBC plans to do with the other hours remains to be seen.

With the proposed cuts to BBC funding, you are more likely to see the channel closed down than made available to everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disrember wrote: »
    don't worry it too me a while too.

Ok so Page 1, bottom right hand corner if you look Brighton the first column (ie numbers) is the BBC and that shows its being broadcast at 2kw. The second column is d1 or the digital one mux, you can see there is a plan (in red) to double the power from 0.5 to 1kw, this is expected to be done by dec 2015.

If you go to page 5 and find Sussex, you can see the big plan for the sussex coast mux (and the stations) and the new transmitters to start this broadcasting over the whole of Sussex and power increases. again by dec 2015.

On page 14, is the details of the new trial, you may not be able to receive these, but a retune would answer this.

And then finally... click here, go down to march and see the news of the new mux starting, sound digital, in spring 2016 and this will be broadcasted for us via Reigate (E Surrey and Crawley), Guildford (W Surrey), Truleigh Hill (Mid Sussex), Whitehawk Hill (Brighton area), Chillerton Down (South Hampshire, SW Sussex and Isle of Wight).

Brilliant, that looks like great news. Thanks for your explanation, makes more sense now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did we get BBC4 HD on channel 106 in Brighton just found it in guide? :)
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did we get BBC4 HD in Brighton just found it in guide :)
    27th July.
    This is temporary until the end of the BBC coverage of the Rio Olympics.
    Also during the BBC coverage of the non para Rio Olympics BBC FOUR will become an Olympic channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can we have BBC4 HD coverage of the Rio Olympics but not now? its gone again >:(
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Why can we have BBC4 HD coverage of the Rio Olympics but not now?

Because sport is more important to the BBC than documentaries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can we have BBC4 HD coverage of the Rio Olympics but not now? its gone again >:(
    Because CBBC HD is more important then BBC 4. I dont know why they don't broadcast BBC 4 HD while they make their minds up about BBC3's left over HD channel
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they ever going to give us bbc4 and News HD here in Brighton? anyone any news or dates :confused:

At the next DSO and not before, for reasons that have been discussed at length before in this forum. In the mean time, if a major transmitter with comms 7&8 is not available in you area you will need Freesat.