Options

ISIS plans to take over Spain in the next five years

Comments

• Options
    poshblokeposhbloke Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Andrew Hosken who wrote the book is actually a BBC journalist, not a tabloid hack.

True, but the map has been printed with little context in the tabloid press. NB as well that it was exposed as a hoax / the work of a fantasist in 2014.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People actually believing this nonsense gives ISIS power.
  • Options
    grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liftmaster wrote: »
    They'll struggle to fight in Shagaluf with raging boners.................

And they certainly wont want to die there NO virgins.
    :cry::cry:
  • Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least they're going to leave Bhutan alone.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »

It also gives power to others who gain from fear and paranoia.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    At least they're going to leave Bhutan alone.

Good. It's sniffing that which has sent them all psycho I reckon.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    According to the Mirror and ISIS:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/isis-unveils-chilling-new-map-6224227

This seems a ridiculous idea, but ISIS have billions of dollars at this point and are doing quite well so far.

How should they be stopped? How many supporters do they really have around the world?

This is hardly news. Who woke the Mirror up or is nothing else happening in their narrow world?
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    ISIS online are just trolls why would you take their ludicrous boasts seriously
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I think people forget that the reason IS thrive in places like Syria and Iraq is because they are unstable countries with very little infrastructure or any kind of strong government. Indeed, in Syria it is a warzone and Iraq is still very vulnerable from suicide bombings. When no real society functions and the law is more or less non existent then IS can come in and easily recruit more and carry out attacks and cause more fear.

They won't invade Europe as all of the things lacking in other places are very much present in developed countries and it stops them from growing. They may carry out attacks and we have to realise that is a real possibility, but as for actually invading the countries, that won't happen.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Yeah... Britiain is going to invade the US next week for the same reason.
    I'm sure it isn't, but perhaps if some lone deluded fantasist produced a map of a new British Empire and coloured America red, we would know why.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the point in ISIS taking over other countries just to turn them into shitholes too?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's bollocks.

There's about as much chance of that happening, as somebody walking on Pluto.

If they try anything serious on Europe, they will be totally and utterly annihilated.

And not forgetting that Europe has it's own, rather more sophisticated, terrorist organisations in various countries.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Silly question really. It's bloody obvious. It (Spain) was the only 2 I was surprised about. It's the closest "civilised" and relatively normal western country to ours.
    Had you simply said " It's the closest western country to ours" you'd have a vaguely accurate point.
    However, whatever your point is is lost in the sheer smugness of your concept of "civilisation" and "relative normality".
    It practically defines why they have appeal to some.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    We can all make plans. I'm planning on being a billionaire and kicking Steven Gerrard's wife out of his bed in the next five years. It's not going to happen but I'm planning it.
  • Options
    ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    i was hoping it was russia, putin would putin a stop to it
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think ISIS will factionalise & blow itself out ( no pun intended) within a few years. Maybe something equally horrendous will replace it, maybe not.

If you look at thorough analysis the signs are there. iSIS is made up of the remnants of Al Quida & Iraqi Ba'athist party officials. They probably have different visions of an Islamic state. There is the political emphasis & the religious emphasis.

iS more extreme acts have already caused controversy within its own ranks, with beheading videos recently eing banned by Senior IS figures.

Ironically a lot of the British IS converts who Travel to Syria etc are not well versed with Islam & the quran, their motivation is more politically & idealistically based. Whilst they are Muslim converts, it is not Islam that is the chief inspiration to go & fight for IS, a sense of adventure or political grievances are often the main motivator .

Add the ambivalence al quida feel towards IS and there is the possibility of factionalism rising within the movement quite quickly.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was hoping it was russia, putin would putin a stop to it
    I notice the map has these murderous thugs and their death cult grabbing the Crimea. Yes, like Putin's Russia would allow that to happen having just stolen that territory off Ukraine last year!

The real fear should be that they acquire weapons of mass destruction. An article I read suggested they want them and would not hesitate to use them, especially chemical weapons. But just imagine these people somehow grabbing the use of just one nuclear device of some sort. They are close to the Turkish border but if they made any sort of advance over that border, then as a NATO country the whole playing field would change overnight due to the NATO doctrine of attack one member attack all.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Silly question really. It's bloody obvious. It was the only 2 I was surprised about. It's the closest "civilised" and relatively normal western country to ours.
    Having said 6, they haven't got a hope in hell.

I'm surprised that you even had to explain it in the first place seeing as the story is about Europe and Spain being shown on that map, it's even mentioned a few times.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    According to your link ISIS have up to 50,000 members

How do they intend to defeat the nations bordering Iraq and Syria let alone the world.
    Turkey has active armed forces totalling 662,719
    Iran has active armed forces totalling 550,000.
    Saudi Arabia has active armed forces totalling 200,000
    Jordan has active armed forces totalling 110,700
    BIB: Thats 50K and growing. Part of the reason that airstrikes have been more frequent is because IS are getting reinforcements and new recruits faster than they're being killed. Another problem is it's also upset a fragile ceasefire between Turkey and the Kurdish PKK, who were actually giving IS a hammering. As the PKK are actually classed as a terrorist organisation, they've been caught up in the airstrikes, which is sheer lunacy because they're on our side in as far as the old adage "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

While IS would have a serious manpower problem within a day of trying to invade any European or "friendly country", they seem unhinged enough to actually try it. They're like the Kim Jong-un of terrorism. They make a lot of noise and come across as silly sometimes and then they do something that shows they're taking it all seriously. While I'm not worried as much about them invading, another 9/11 is a more likely scenario, and it wouldn't surprise me if they used "Jihadi brides" to do it. If you can influence a girl to uproot herself and make a quite complicated trip to Syria, you'll be able to influence her to do much more.

Possibly the reason the governments are waiting is because IS integrate themselves into a city the moment they take it over. They use the old trick of placing strategic things near densely populated areas, making the risk of collateral damage extremely high, which the IS propaganda machine would have a field day with. There's also not the appetite for it yet. Yes, they've done some seriously nasty stuff, but they've not managed anything that has made the world go "Whoa!" in quite the same way Al-Qaeda did. The minute they do then it makes sending the troops back in a lot easier, because people find it a lot more palatable.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I think this is basically just wishful thinking on ISIS.

One thing is what they're doing over in the Middle East, though I can't see them doing the same thing by moving closer into Europe.

They'd be easily outnumbered anyway.

They can't even take over the Middle East.

The only place ISIS (and allies) have been able to get a serious foot-hold is in failed/failing states like Iraq, Syria, Libya and Somalia.

Iran, Saudi, Israel, Egypt, UAE and the like all perfectly safe because ISIS is no 'real' threat to stable countries.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can all make plans. I'm planning on being a billionaire and kicking Steven Gerrard's wife out of his bed in the next five years. It's not going to happen but I'm planning it.

And that's far more likely to happen than ISIS taking over Spain!
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »

Even speaking of them as a single coherent group with one agreed plan credits them with a status 'they' do not merit.
  • Options
    Ned_SeagoonNed_Seagoon Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    OMG - Where would the next series of Benidorm be filmed?
    grah2702 wrote: »
    And they certainly won't want to die there NO virgins.
    :cry::cry:

Yes, exactly the same reason Jesus wasn't born in Ireland - they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin :)
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread just proves how jaded people are - I posted about us bombing ISIS and everyone laughed and said they were trolls and should be ignored. But now since it might affect them being near Spain everyone gives a toss. LOL.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    This thread just proves how jaded people are - I posted about us bombing ISIS and everyone laughed and said they were trolls and should be ignored. But now since it might affect them being near Spain everyone gives a toss. LOL.

Apart from the fact that most people on the thread have pointed out that the story is fanciful nonsense?