Duffy is back! ... (kinda)

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
She has two new songs on the upcoming movie soundtrack 'Legend' (out in September). I'm really looking forward to it because her debut album was really great and I loved loved loved 'Stepping Stone' and 'Mercy', excellent songs.

The two songs are called 'Are You Sure' and 'Make The World Go Away'

(soundtrack list here: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/08/10/soundtrack-for-brian-helgelands-legend-announced/)

Comments

• Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    She has two new songs on the upcoming movie soundtrack 'Legend' (out in September). I'm really looking forward to it because her debut album was really great and I loved loved loved 'Stepping Stone' and 'Mercy', excellent songs.

The two songs are called 'Are You Sure' and 'Make The World Go Away'

(soundtrack list here: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/08/10/soundtrack-for-brian-helgelands-legend-announced/)

I have to agree with you about her debut album. She had a lot of really great songs on that album, in particular Mercy.

I did know that she was going to contribute new songs to a forthcoming film soundtrack. So this is really interesting to hear that this has been confirmed. Whether or not the recording of the two songs will inevitably lead to a third studio album, I don't know.

She may very well want to ease gently back in and go from there, since it has been a long time since her last album came out in 2010.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to her? Why did she disappear?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    What happened to her? Why did she disappear?

apparently, because the sales of her second album were so poor, she decided to "take a break"

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/duffy-take-break-music-business-1854167
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe this pic is of Duffy last year but she looks amazing with darker hair!

http://iloveduffy.tumblr.com/image/61531281506

I really want her to return. I've been listening to her debut album a lot lately
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that many singers are happy to appear in TV Commercials, but that 'Coke' advert (IMO) killed her career stone dead.
    It didn't help that her second album was crap either though.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome!! one of my favourite television progr.... oh... Duffy.. the singer.. she's back... right, ok.. great that's.... that's great.

*backs away from thread*
  • CindySharlenaCindySharlena Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I believe this pic is of Duffy last year but she looks amazing with darker hair!

http://iloveduffy.tumblr.com/image/61531281506

I really want her to return. I've been listening to her debut album a lot lately

She looks like a cross between Lana Del Rey and Jessie J. Glad to hear she's back though I loved her debut album
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I know that many singers are happy to appear in TV Commercials, but that 'Coke' advert (IMO) killed her career stone dead.

Yeah, the Coke ad seemed to really turn folk against her.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stepping Stone remains a classic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize, Duffy is actually IN the movie 'Legend'. Here is a pic:

http://duffymemorabillia.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/duffy-as-timi-yuro-in-legend-photo.html

(scroll down)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a two track EP on iTunes. A new song called 'Dear Heart'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't realize, Duffy is actually IN the movie 'Legend'. Here is a pic:

http://duffymemorabillia.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/duffy-as-timi-yuro-in-legend-photo.html

(scroll down)

Neither did I. :D She plays the late American singer, Timi Yuro in a small supporting role.

I really love her rendition of "Make the world go away".

With the release of the EP, it does look very likely that she is planning a forthcoming third album for next year sometime. Could there be a tour. Well..................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thom001 wrote: »
    Neither did I. :D She plays the late American singer, Timi Yuro in a small supporting role.

I really love her rendition of "Make the world go away".

With the release of the EP, it does look very likely that she is planning a forthcoming third album for next year sometime. Could there be a tour. Well..................

I would certainly be interested in a new album and I would even like to see her live. I have been listening to her debut album a lot lately, I think 'Stepping Stone' is one of her best songs tbh. I also love 'Distant Dreamer'.

I think maybe whatever label or management she is with is testing the waters with her songs in the Legend film and to see if there's an interest. From what I've seen there's certainly been people saying "Duffy's back!" as opposed to "oh no" kinda thing XD

I wasn't keen on her second album but in all fairness I can't really remember it, so I may check it out again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would certainly be interested in a new album and I would even like to see her live. I have been listening to her debut album a lot lately, I think 'Stepping Stone' is one of her best songs tbh. I also love 'Distant Dreamer'.

I think maybe whatever label or management she is with is testing the waters with her songs in the Legend film and to see if there's an interest. From what I've seen there's certainly been people saying "Duffy's back!" as opposed to "oh no" kinda thing XD

I wasn't keen on her second album but in all fairness I can't really remember it, so I may check it out again.

She is still with Polydor, I noticed when I was on iTunes yesterday that the copyright of the two songs - Whole Lot of Love is also on the Legend soundtrack, so that makes three - on the new EP is credited to Polydor.

They will be testing the waters, especially since it has been a long time she released anything. Apparently, I was looking on her Facebook page and an user left a comment telling her that Sam Smith had been listening to her debut, Rockferry on a loop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thom001 wrote: »
    She is still with Polydor, I noticed when I was on iTunes yesterday that the copyright of the two songs - Whole Lot of Love is also on the Legend soundtrack, so that makes three - on the new EP is credited to Polydor.

They will be testing the waters, especially since it has been a long time she released anything. Apparently, I was looking on her Facebook page and an user left a comment telling her that Sam Smith had been listening to her debut, Rockferry on a loop.

Ooh interesting.

I definitely think if Duffy returns with an album she will be an artist kind of like Caro Emerald & Rumer (i'm not familiar with those artists but from what I can tell, they have their own little market which works really well for them). I don't think Duffy should try and crack mainstream again, particularly if she isn't comfortable with it like last time.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Absolutely obsessed with 'Whole Lot of Love'. Hope it does well.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »

Dreadful case of second album syndrome. For me there was a very fine line between her voice being divinely unique and causing a severe headache. It was 50/50 depending on what mood I was in. Mercy though always a first class tune and performance.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She features prominently in a couple of the film's club scenes, but it's not exactly career comeback material.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Whale Whale WHALE.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's in two brief scenes in the movie. Her first scene she is pretty much in the background, singing on stage. I didn't recognise her but the person I was with did.

Second scene she is in a different club, singing a song at Reggie's table.

She has no speaking lines and her character isn't named. She's kind of hard to recognise with the hair and because she isn't actually on screen much.

Her voice isn't as horrific as you would imagine.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    She's in two brief scenes in the movie. Her first scene she is pretty much in the background, singing on stage. I didn't recognise her but the person I was with did.

Second scene she is in a different club, singing a song at Reggie's table.

She has no speaking lines and her character isn't named. She's kind of hard to recognise with the hair and because she isn't actually on screen much.

Her voice isn't as horrific as you would imagine.

She is actually mentioned in the end credits. I saw it the other day and spotted her name in the credits and wondered if it was the singer form a few years back.
  • SummerHeartSummerHeart Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Her voice is a cross between a munchkin and a goat.