Options

How to keep the Tories out - best placed progressive candidate to vote for guide.

pauli89pauli89 Posts: 12,874
Forum Member
✭✭
After balloting its members over the last week the Labour pressure group Compass, today put out a call for tactical voting to stop a Conservative victory.

Compass is now calling on every progressive voter to back the Labour candidate wherever Labour can win. But if Labour stands no chance against the Tory candidate it makes sense that the best placed progressive candidate is backed by every progressive voter. 72% of members backed the call for tactical voting with only 14% against.

To help you decide who is the best placed progressive candidate to vote for, Compass has produced a guide. It shows where you should back the Labour candidate in a large number of the 116 top Tory target seats. But if Labour stands no chance against the Tories, it makes sense that the best-placed Labour or Liberal Democrat candidate is backed by every progressive voter.

And just remember that Britain needs change – it doesn't need the Tories.

Handy guide here
http://clients.squareeye.com/uploads/compass/Torytargetsword.doc.doc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/30/tories-tactical-voting-compass-guide

http://www.compassonline.org.uk/news/item.asp?n=9314

Well I for one will be voting for the party most likely to keep the Tories out.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    pauli89 wrote: »

well im shocked at your decision!

i however will not be doing something this petty and will be voting for the party who are best suited to lead the country.
  • Options
    Katla RevengerKatla Revenger Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    After balloting its members over the last week the Labour pressure group Compass, today put out a call for tactical voting to stop a Conservative victory.

Compass is now calling on every progressive voter to back the Labour candidate wherever Labour can win. But if Labour stands no chance against the Tory candidate it makes sense that the best placed progressive candidate is backed by every progressive voter. 72% of members backed the call for tactical voting with only 14% against.

To help you decide who is the best placed progressive candidate to vote for, Compass has produced a guide. It shows where you should back the Labour candidate in a large number of the 116 top Tory target seats. But if Labour stands no chance against the Tories, it makes sense that the best-placed Labour or Liberal Democrat candidate is backed by every progressive voter.

Handy guide here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/30/tories-tactical-voting-compass-guide

But does it need labour, a party that will tear its self apart and collapse like a dying star when Brown is removed as leader due to Mandyslime,Blair pact to remove him in favour of Millibeast. Seriously how long do you believe labour will last as a minority government?

Labour used to mean something,not anymore when lying corrupt unelected filth like Mandleslime have more power that an elected labour MP, labour has forgot what it stands for.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Finally come off the fence eh? ;)

I too will be tactically voting, but not based on what Compass say.

Having checked they dont actually say much of use anyway other than results last time and whether the tories are targetting the seat. Nothing to take into account LD surge and no predictions of likely popularity - for mine they've just put NEW as the results from last time due to boundary changes.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets all vote Lib Dem as a tactic to keep the Conservatives and Labour out.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

So are you going to tell us where you are placing your cross on Thursday.

I am not interested in who the Guardian or Times are backing - we need pauli to provide the lead!:D

PS I live in a Labour seat with the Lib Dems in second place - so I can vote with my head and heart. Others are not so lucky!
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Lets all vote Lib Dem as a tactic to keep the Conservatives and Labour out.
    Intend doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking at some of tonight's polls this is quite an important thread.

We could be looking at a Cameron majority govt which 62% of those voting (and 80% of Britons) did not vote for.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

We could be looking at a Cameron majority govt which 62% of those voting (and 80% of Britons) did not vote for.

Which was pretty much the result of the 2005 election.

Labour got a comfortable majority with 37% of the vote on a 61% turnout which was 22.5% of the electorate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Which was pretty much the result of the 2005 election.

Labour got a comfortable majority with 37% of the vote on a 61% turnout which was 22.5% of the electorate.

But these are different times - a recession, huge cuts in services and spending planned which will hit the poor most. People rather brushed off the unfairness of the result of 2005.

This time people are a lot more unsettled and angry. If we end up with the Tories relying on the DUP for their majority I dread to think where we are going to be in a few months.
  • Options
    peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That would mean that more people wanted it than wanted the last Labour government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    peter3hg wrote: »
    That would mean that more people wanted it than wanted the last Labour government.

Or that 60%+ of people didn't want either (60% is a majority last time I looked)!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter3hg wrote: »

The turnout will almost certainly be up from 2005 as it's closer election, so there's a very good chance that the Conservatives in 2010 will get more votes than Labour did in 2005 yet get a smaller majority (if one at all).
  • Options
    peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or that 60%+ of people didn't want either (60% is a majority last time I looked)!

What is your point? The last time that the winning party got a majority of the vote was in 1931, the only time it has happened since the 19th century.
    This discussion is for a thread on alternative voting systems, not to be used to somehow claim that the Conservatives wouldn't have a mandate over the country.
  • Options
    BRMBBRMB Posts: 3,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For Labour to win in my constituency, they need the votes of the Lib dems (Conservatives only need a 0.1% swing to regain the seat).

Last time Labour and Conservatives were both on around 16K each (Labour's 37 majority is the smallest in the country), with the Lib Dems on 6.5K

I'm torn here. I don't want the Conservatives to win, so common sense dictates I should vote Labour. However, I also want to register, quite clearly, that my vote is for the Lib Dems and not for Labour (as I'm sure the party would claim), and to highlight the absurdity of the fptp system.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Handy guide here

But I want the Tories in :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    But I want the Tories in :confused:

And I want the Tories defeated - so I agree with Pauli.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adam ant wrote: »
    And I want the Tories defeated - so I agree with Pauli.

If you help keep the Tories out you could be a Goody Two Shoes or even a Friend or Foe!!
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way are Labour candidates to be considered "progressive", as the term does imply progressive policies rather than things like ID cards, detention without trial etc?