Patronising Tony Blair says a vote for Clegg is "not serious"

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
One of the most discredited Prime Ministers in history and Peter Mandelson say we shouldn't vote Lib Dems... why does this make me want to vote for them more?

As usual, Blair thinks he knows what's best for us... :rolleyes:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7113444.ece
Blair says a vote cast for Clegg is 'not serious'
Rachel Sylvester, Alice Thomson, Roland Watson

Tony Blair tries to shore up Gordon Brown’s flagging election campaign today with a warning that a vote for Nick Clegg is “not a serious thing”.

With five days to go, the former Prime Minister makes his first serious intervention since Labour’s slump in the polls. He tells The Times that the Liberal Democrats would be flaky partners in government and that a hung Parliament is a “thoroughly bad idea”.

To voters considering backing Mr Clegg, he says: “The fact that it might seem an interesting thing to do is not the right reason to put the keys of the country in their hands.”

Amid warnings from senior Labour figures that a poor showing next week will threaten the future of the party, Mr Blair pitched himself into battle for the minds of voters seduced by Mr Clegg.
Related Links

He conceded that the Liberal Democrat leader had been clever in projecting his promise of a new kind of politics. But he accused Mr Clegg of peddling “the oldest politics in the book” in seeking to blame his rivals for all the country’s ills.

Mr Blair urges voters to remember they are electing a government on May 6, not expressing a feeling. He insists that Gordon Brown deserves another five years because of the “political character”, strength and resilience he has shown during the financial crisis.

Mr Clegg dismissed Mr Blair’s arrival on the campaign trail as a sign of desperation, accusing Labour of “wheeling out the golden oldies to try to help out Gordon Brown in his hour of need”. He said the Lib Dems were in a two-horse race with the Tories.

David Cameron sought to build on the momentum of Thursday’s final television debate, which most polls suggest he won, by unveiling a contract with voters on which he said he would be judged. The 16 promises, sent to five million people, include vows to reform politics and not to cut benefits.

Mr Cameron said that he was taking nothing for granted but confirmed that George Osborne would be his Chancellor if he made it to Downing Street. He praised the “steel and judgment” of his Shadow Chancellor, targeted as a liability by Labour and a less visible presence than expected in the campaign.

Mr Brown said he would continue fighting until “the very last second” of the campaign, but he received another blow last night when The Guardian, normally a supporter, announced that it was backing the Liberal Democrats.

Labour sources conceded that the Prime Minister faced a battle getting his message through to those who may have made up their mind about him.

Comments

• jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Why should we listen to a war criminal who no longer has any role in British politics?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    That's only going to get more votes for Lib Dems seeing that's in a Torie paper, some Tories might just vote for Lib Dems in the Lib Dems/Labour marginals
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh former Labour PM urging people to vote Labour.

I predict riots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Gosh former Labour PM urging people to vote Labour.

I predict riots.

Not just that though - you'll notice he doesn't say a vote for the Conservatives is "not serious". It's an attempt to demean anyone who dares to break away from the Labservatives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand blair but he has a point.

I cannot vote for a party that wants to completely sell us out to europe, wants a virtual open door policy on immigration and worst of all does not have a clue what to do with a nuclear defence strategy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just that though - you'll notice he doesn't say a vote for the Conservatives is "not serious". It's an attempt to demean anyone who dares to break away from the Labservatives.

I know, I know. You're preaching to the choir here man.

I heard former Tory leader William Hague say that people should vote for real change, suggesting that a vote for anyone else would be like...fake change....how dare he!!

Let's hang him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know Labour is in trouble when it has to fall back on the fella that had to run away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    You know Labour is in trouble when it has to fall back on the fella that had to run away.

Well former leaders are a mixed blessing. Like Thatcher, Blair has his critics but he also has those who he appeals to, like Thatcher. But in this age where we rewrite history and reality to suit how we view the world, that opinion isn't expressed.

Still interesting to compare the two in other ways.

The man who ran away vs the woman who refused to. :p
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    One of the most discredited Prime Ministers in history and Peter Mandelson say we shouldn't vote Lib Dems... why does this make me want to vote for them more?

As usual, Blair thinks he knows what's best for us... :rolleyes:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7113444.ece

Well, I guess, it takes one to know one! :D

Exactly what he tried to do and succeeded in 1997, to vote for 'change', NeoLabour blah blah blah...
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might just get more people to vote Lib Dem. ;)

F#CK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bit of an OTT reaction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and yesterday TB said that Labour would win this 2010 Election.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    and yesterday TB said that Labour would win this 2010 Election.......

Blimey, he's broken ranks with his well established non-partisan approach hasn't he?

You know what guys, reading the comments of the man who was leader of the labour party for 14 years, PM for 10 and MP for Labour for about 25 years....

....I think he may have a bias here.

SLIMEBALL!! Typical Blair, he's kept quiet about that!!! :mad::mad:
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of an OTT reaction.

You obviously didnt get the joke. I assume you weren't involved in the xmas chart battle between X factor and Rage Against the Machine?

That line in the RATM song started it all off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuOAY-S6OY
  • Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Blair was the best PM this country has seen since Churchill, period.

To his detractors....three election wins in a row shows you hold a small minority view....not that I'm voting for Brown.
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Reverse psychology at work. Telling a person not to vote libdem in a patronising tone will make the person more likely to vote libdem as an act of rebellion. As this thread seems to prove. A vote for the libdems is a vote against the conservatives. What Blair and Mandleson are doing is attempting to split the anti Labour vote so that labour will benefit by having the largest share of the vote. United we stand. Divided we fall. Seems to be today's strategy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Launch Fan wrote: »

To his detractors....three election wins in a row shows you hold a small minority view....not that I'm voting for Brown.

By that argument Blair should have been the best PM since Thatcher. Who also won three in a row. In both cases it's more to do with the lack of credible alternative. (Kinnock, Hauge etc) than actual success. As the decline in voter turn out at the elections prove.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every PM was the worst and the best since the last one.

Except for Churchill who was so loved he was booted from office in spectacular manner by those who apparently idolised him.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    This whole thing with the two formally biggest parties absolutely shi**ing their bricks about the Lib Dems is possibly the funniest thing to happen in British politics for 30 years.
    I had a flyer from my local Conservative candidate yesterday (Mr Jack Lopresti), obviously hastily made-up and printed, announcing in bold text, "A HUNG PARLIAMENT WOULD MEAN 5 MORE YEARS OF GORDON BROWN." It followed with a "personal message" from David Cameron telling me that the only way to stop Gordon Brown's pusuit to ruin Britain for good is for the Conservative candidate to win this constituency. Camster finishes, "It is simple: a vote for any other party is an implicit approval of Gordon Brown".

I wanted to vote for Lib Dem Peter Tyzack, who is really nice, and not at all a cock like Lopresti, but now I fear I must vote Tory because I also don't like Gordon Brown. It makes me sad. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    This whole thing with the two formally biggest parties absolutely shi**ing their bricks about the Lib Dems is possibly the funniest thing to happen in British politics for 30 years.

I agree. Locally I'm in a Conservative/Libdem marginal. At the last election Labour got 6% of the vote. Recently all the Labour centrally printed leaflets that had been slagging off the Conservatives have switched fire to the Libdems. I won't be voting for them. But I think it's great that finally we have a viable third choice. It's certainly added an element of chaos to the old order.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I had a flyer from my local Conservative candidate yesterday (Mr Jack Lopresti), obviously hastily made-up and printed, announcing in bold text, "A HUNG PARLIAMENT WOULD MEAN 5 MORE YEARS OF GORDON BROWN." It followed with a "personal message" from David Cameron telling me that the only way to stop Gordon Brown's pusuit to ruin Britain for good is for the Conservative candidate to win this constituency. Camster finishes, "It is simple: a vote for any other party is an implicit approval of Gordon Brown".

I wanted to vote for Lib Dem Peter Tyzack, who is really nice, and not at all a cock like Lopresti, but now I fear I must vote Tory because I also don't like Gordon Brown. It makes me sad. :(

There is no way Brown will be in power come May 7th, maybe Alan Johnson but not Brown
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He came in to government in 1997 with 13,518,167 votes. In 2005 he got 9,562,122. That is 4million people abandoning him. It would have been far worse, grassroots members who hated him too would have abandoned NuLabour too had the Tories not put out the billboard saying, "Vote B'Liar get Brown." IMO Brown won that election.
  • Katla RevengerKatla Revenger Posts: 319
    Forum Member

NO that is your opinion, Blair is/was and always will be filth that lied in order to send our boys/girls into conflicts that have nothing to do with the UK. I just wish that lying piece of filth would crawl away and die like the cancerous rat he is.:mad:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO that is your opinion, Blair is/was and always will be filth that lied in order to send our boys/girls into conflicts that have nothing to do with the UK. I just wish that lying piece of filth would crawl away and die like the cancerous rat he is.:mad:

I am of your opinion. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said Tone, I absolutely agree with him we need a strong tory Gov.