Nexus 4 price drop.

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Also what is everyone doing for screen protectors? Have tried a few however due to the phones curve, they don't stick down at the edges.

I just bought some cheap ones off Ebay (2 for 99p inc postage). Does the job.
  • MacartistMacartist Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Nexus 4 16gb just delivered. Ordered on Tuesday and got the shipped email from Google at 11.15 last night :eek: . Nice to have for the weekend though :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Gormond - we have the same phone now! Ha ha.

I ordered a cheap £3 back hard case for mine, but now wondering if I should go with the official bumper?

The Ringke Fusion case I have just makes it too bulky.

Is the bumper as good as you say at protecting the phone?

Also what is everyone doing for screen protectors? Have tried a few however due to the phones curve, they don't stick down at the edges.

Yeah, that was my experience too. It's lurking in the back of a drawer now. I tried a couple of other cases for my Nexus 4 but they either spoiled the look of it or made it more difficult to use so I sent them back. Same with screen protectors. Because the screen is bevelled, even the best screen protector does not go right up to the edges so it sits proud of the screen. Then,as it starts to peel off, it just looks worse. I've decided to take a bit more care with the phone and leave it au naturel. Looks better and works better.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I really wouldn't use a Nexus 4 without some sort of cover/bumper tbh. It's very well put together, of course, but at the end of the day it's made from glass (gorilla or not it's not exactly kevlar is it?). And there's nothing that spoils the look of the Nexus 4 than a big crack down the screen :eek: :D £2 S Line case from ebay compared to a £100+ bill?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I really wouldn't use a Nexus 4 without some sort of cover/bumper tbh. It's very well put together, of course, but at the end of the day it's made from glass (gorilla or not it's not exactly kevlar is it?). And there's nothing that spoils the look of the Nexus 4 than a big crack down the screen :eek: :D £2 S Line case from ebay compared to a £100+ bill?

Another vote for the S Line case. I particularly like the grippy bits along the sides, and it doesn't add much bulk.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I must be the only one without a case on mine!

New one doesn't have a mark on it front or back yet. Been a few months as well now.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a case either, but i'm usually very careful with my devices. I did order a couple of dbrand skins though (White Leather and Green Truecolour).
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

New one doesn't have a mark on it front or back yet. Been a few months as well now.

The very definition of tempting fate. :eek::D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

I just couldn't do it. I'm too paranoid about the glass on the back, and I've seen some horror stories about the glass just cracking in people's pockets.

I got the bumper to be on the safe side. It looks good and protects the device.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for the S Line case. I particularly like the grippy bits along the sides, and it doesn't add much bulk.

When you can get an S Line case + screen protector + mini stylus + postage on Ebay for 99p it's silly not to get one.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    When you can get an S Line case + screen protector + mini stylus + postage on Ebay for 99p it's silly not to get one.

Bargain! :D
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well having got my Nexus 4 as i have posted earlier i contacted O2 for a micro sim card and was told it would be 3 days some 10 days later my microsim still hasnt arrived, so i decided to cut my original simcard down to size. Yesterday i put it in the nexus 4 and all was well got a bar at the top etc, i can make calls view the internet and receive messages, only bad thing is for some reason i cant send any text messages so i dont know whats going on. I had a search last night online and some people suggested if the message centre number is the right one i went into the settings and it was the right one. Im on 02 pay as you go, i will try phoning O2 later and see what they say. Any suggestion otherwise would be a help.
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found my first issue with the 4.3 update, Voice directions on waze no longer work correctly, it spits out parts of the directions but can no longer string a sentence together. Is on the waze bug list, Waze does not crash, and the basic navigation works fine, it's just the speech synthesis which fails.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tadpole wrote: »
    Found my first issue with the 4.3 update, Voice directions on waze no longer work correctly, it spits out parts of the directions but can no longer string a sentence together. Is on the waze bug list, Waze does not crash, and the basic navigation works fine, it's just the speech synthesis which fails.

that's not really a 4.3 issue, but an app issue (in that the app doesn't work properly with 4.3).
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I just couldn't do it. I'm too paranoid about the glass on the back, and I've seen some horror stories about the glass just cracking in people's pockets.

I got the bumper to be on the safe side. It looks good and protects the device.

Surely the rear glass can only be cracked or broken by an impact to the back of the handset. A bumper won't make any difference to that.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the rear glass can only be cracked or broken by an impact to the back of the handset. A bumper won't make any difference to that.

The bumper sticks out a bit so if you drop it in a flat surface the back and screen are protected.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not necessarily. Any impact creates a shockwave of energy across the device, so even if it fell on its side, the glass could still very easily crack/shatter from the impact force across the whole device.

A bumper absorbs some of that energy and dampens the impact force, so while it's still possible for the glass to break even with a bumper on, it's far less likely to happen than it would be without one on the device.
  • theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my new Nexus 4 a few days
    The first couple of days it worked fine, then suddenly last night and this morning it seemed to be dropping connection to the sim card.

Multiple restarts eventually solves it - but it just seems really flaky.

Been ok for the last couple of hours - so hopefully it's settled down.

Anyone experienced anything similar?
  • MacartistMacartist Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Anybody else noticed slight yellow spots on the display at the edges, especially when the phone starts to get hot. Was worried at first and looked up the problem on the internet, but they seem to be fading out as the days pass. Everything else seems to be working fine so far on mine.
  • theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theARE wrote: »
    Had my new Nexus 4 a few days
    The first couple of days it worked fine, then suddenly last night and this morning it seemed to be dropping connection to the sim card.

Multiple restarts eventually solves it - but it just seems really flaky.

Been ok for the last couple of hours - so hopefully it's settled down.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Found the answer - an it's not sim related at all. Apparently a bug in 4.3 that causes it to drop connection

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/26/bug-watch-android-4-3-radio-bugs-causing-cell-connection-drops-on-some-nexus-4-handsets-fixes-in-sight/

Found a little network type switcher app to let me quickly toggle the network type and it seems to be ok now.

Thought I'd share in case others have the same issue
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theARE wrote: »
    Found the answer - an it's not sim related at all. Apparently a bug in 4.3 that causes it to drop connection
    Thanks. I don't seem to have a radio at all, is it only in the US they have one?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Thanks. I don't seem to have a radio at all, is it only in the US they have one?

The radio is the hardware used to communicate with the transmitter.

Not an FM radio! Wish it did have one of them though :mad: