Channel M - Now On Sky 203

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    We need to harness the BBC's resources in local radio to launch a nationwide network of local tv stations if you ask me.

Great idea, it is inadequate and unnaceptable in its current state.
  • johnlingardjohnlingard Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    The whole point about multi-channel television, regardless of what platform it is carried on, is that it provides a CHOICE. You can choose to watch a particular channel or watch something more suited to your taste. As has been said earlier, Mancunians living outside the North West can now watch their own local news and sport, (I can't remember much of either on London TV). Local stations are to be welcomed. I presented on the regional cable tv channel here until nthell took over the original cable company and shut the service down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any remember before Sky Digital launched in 98 Sky sent a questionaire asking what sort of channels I would like to see on the new platform. One of the options was local "city tv" style channels. Needless to say I ticked the box.

For some reason it never happened. I can only assume because money can't be made from it. All the more reason to allow the BBC to do it in my mind.
  • 3dom3dom Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel M is not just available on ntl around Greater Manchester its also available in East Lancs too,

The channel has been advertised in my local newspaper for years now.

nice one to Channel M going fta on satellite tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,364
    Forum Member
    Any remember before Sky Digital launched in 98 Sky sent a questionaire asking what sort of channels I would like to see on the new platform. One of the options was local "city tv" style channels. Needless to say I ticked the box.

For some reason it never happened. I can only assume because money can't be made from it. All the more reason to allow the BBC to do it in my mind.

As a national broadcaster charging subscribers in all areas the same, Sky would be expected to provide services for all communities. Companies producing FTA stations such as GMG (Owner of Channel M) can cherry pick the areas that they make channels for.

Opening stations for all areas would require massive investment in new studios for a number of cities throughout the country. This isn't the "Sky way" of doing television - you just buy in cheap TV from your sister companies in the US. It would also be a lot of money to spend given the investment made in launching Sky Digital. Additioanlly, although stations in the big cities might work, its unlikely that a channel coving the whole of Cumbria would!
  • MTV DanceMTV Dance Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Channel M is in entertainment section on the EPG. How is it entertainment?

I gave it the benefit of the doubt last night and just watched total drivel of local football teams, communities and crap jobs offering crap pay and benefits. Fantastic viewing. No really, it was.

And this is in entertainment.

Stick it at the arse end of the EPG where it belongs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,364
    Forum Member
    The same could be said about large tracts of the Sky EPG :rolleyes:
  • IanslaterIanslater Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say that Channel M is worth watching but I do enjoy the half hour program on FC United.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ianslater wrote:
    I can't say that Channel M is worth watching but I do enjoy the half hour program on FC United.
    I similarly enjoyed CODE 13 - the Rugby League show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    MTV Dance wrote:
    Channel M is in entertainment section on the EPG. How is it entertainment?

I gave it the benefit of the doubt last night and just watched total drivel of local football teams, communities and crap jobs offering crap pay and benefits. Fantastic viewing. No really, it was.

And this is in entertainment.

Stick it at the arse end of the EPG where it belongs.

THEN WHY CARRY ON WATCHING IT???????

If your council/income tax was being spent on it then you might have a reason to complain. Seeing as it isn't why don't you STFU!

Sky decide genre placements by looking sample schedules and programming provided by the station prior to launch so why don't you email them and complain?

I tell you what, why don't you organise a petition to get it moved eh?
  • Fall Out BoyFall Out Boy Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though I'm in favour of local TV, I do think that if Channel M want people to take them seriously, they're going to have to do something other than be a local relay of US music channel "Much Music", complete with American idents.

Right now, it's pumping out pop when it's meant to be the flagship news show.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Even though I'm in favour of local TV, I do think that if Channel M want people to take them seriously, they're going to have to do something other than be a local relay of US music channel "Much Music", complete with American idents.

MuchMusic is a Canadian channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MuchMusic
  • Fall Out BoyFall Out Boy Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maccy wrote:
    MuchMusic is a Canadian channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MuchMusic

I'm not really bothered where it's from - it's just not from Manchester!
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why cant i get this channel on my freeview box? i live just outside mancs and i have a decent aerial. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only transmitted on analogue terrestrial and satellite, not DTT.
  • CocaColaCocaCola Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    rufnek2k6 wrote:
    Why cant i get this channel on my freeview box? i live just outside mancs and i have a decent aerial. :confused:

Your really not missing out on anything!
  • GarethHarrisonGarethHarrison Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Right now, it's pumping out pop when it's meant to be the flagship news show.

They are in the process of increasing their local output, but it is a relatively small team who are having to develop and produce the local output, so it's not going to happen overnight.

The other 'filler' programming on the channel is supplied by a Canadian channel called 'Chum'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    As a student - yes student - who is involved in producing programmes for Channel M I agree the content at the moment is terrible.

We make four different programming strands all year round with ZERO budget, along with completing degree courses (to get our Mickey Mouse ears...) and yes it is hard work.

The amount of work which goes into each programme isn't fairly represented by those who have not given the channel a chance.

Trying to get people to take you seriously when you have no money, are students producing programmes for a local TV station and nobody has ever heard of the channel is hard enough - never mind when it finally gets a decent break and people don't give it a chance.

I agree that the channel quality leaves a lot to be desired, and hopefully with a cash injection from GMG - who also own the MEN - the quality will improve greatly.

Considering SolentTV (Isle of Wight) are now reconsidering their position about launching on the Sky platform why shouldn't Manchester have it's own local TV channel available nationwide?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that Salford uni dude?
    Forum Member
    Yes, unfortunately in some ways but fortunately in others! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking at that Uni, what course are you on?
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Channel M is a great channel! i watch programmes on it like Fashion Television.
    Forum Member
    kev_6655, I'm on TV & Radio course (BATAR). The course has changed so much since I applied so I've got no idea what's on offer in the first year now.

There is a good mix of practical and theory, the theory side seems to put some people off.

What course were you looking at?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Journalism and broadcasting.