Options

Which cut of Lamb & Beef for a stew in a slow cooker

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

Now that the time of year has come for stews & casseroles, I am seriously considering whipping out my slow cooker again to make a decent stew / casserole. Now this year I am highly tempted to make a Lamb & Beef dish in my slow cooker, but am unsure as what cut of lamb and beef to use. Normally when I do a stew in a slow cooker I stick to the bog standard onion gravy as liquid but usually add some chilli seeds to give it a decent kick of heat.

Now due to the lack of vegetables that I like & that agree with me, I normally add in a fair amount of green beans, leaks, sweetcorn & bell peppers as they are my favourite vegetables.

Can anyone here advise what cuts are best for this type of cooking ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I recently made some stews
    The Butchers suggest The tougher meats such as Braising steak - Chuck Skirt Shin etc
    You can use the dearer cuts but they do not have what it takes to make the stew very flavoursome with that fall apart tender tasty texture

I always make mine Adding whatever *** bargains I buy ***
    Once I added a full bag of Okra as I like it and the bag was greatly reduced
    I have also added bags of various mixed salads - to use them up - before they spoil
    I like to add many many spices :p
    including my faves
    About 12 Cardamon pods and some Star Anise
    I list them ALL in the
    **** What did you eat today ****
    thread each time I make my meals and stews etc

When the food is cold I will put many portions into the freezer using Budget Sandwich bags - which I then fill & flatten out >> for the freezer

The best beef cuts for slow cooking & Tips in the Spoiler below
    Slow cooking is becoming more popular because the method is a convenient way of cooking cheap cuts of meat to create dishes that offer superb depth of flavour.

The best beef cuts for slow cooking
    Here's a breakdown of which cuts are best, plus tips and recipes.

SHIN and LEG
    Inexpensive cuts with bags of flavour, made up of very lean muscle.

CHUCK and BLADE
    The best-known type of braising steak, and what most recipes mean when they call for this. A very tasty cut of beef that can be sliced or diced.

MIDDLE RIBS
    When boned and rolled, this is a beautiful joint for pot-roasting. It can also be sliced or diced for use in casseroles.

BRISKET
    Because this comes from the belly of the animal it can sometimes be fatty, but this is what adds to the flavour of the stock during cooking. A cylindrical joint that gives nice neat slices when carved.

SHORT RIBS
    Traditionally an American cut that is often called ‘oven-busters’ over here, short ribs are becoming quite trendy. Slowly braised in wine or beer with vegetables and lots of aromatics, they become very tender and almost velvety in texture, with a fantastic flavour.

MINCED NECK and FLANK
    Mince made from the tougher cuts of meat is best used in dishes requiring slow cooking. Mince from a prime cut, such as tail of the fillet, is usually reserved for serving raw in dishes such as steak tartare.

SKIRT
    Usually reserved for slow cooking in either steak and kidney pudding or Cornish pasties.

SILVERSIDE
    Neat, cylindrical joint, ideally suited to braising or pot-roasting.

OXTAIL
    Tough off-cut of beef that requires long, slow cooking to become tender. Because it is a cut of meat still on the bone – and also comes with quite a lot of fat, cartilage and marrow – it contains a staggering amount of flavour. The cut to use for osso bucco.

TIPS FOR SLOW COOKING

Brown the beef first – in small batches, if necessary, to maintain a high heat in the pan. As this caramelises some of the juices in the pan – adding to the flavour – you should do it in the pot you will cook in, ideally a cast-iron flameproof casserole with a tight-fitting lid.

If you need to toss the beef in a little flour before browning, make sure it is not overly wet and only a light dusting clings to the outside. This will give your meat a good colour.

When seasoning slow-cooked dishes, do so lightly at the beginning. This method encourages reduction of the liquid, so the sauce can become much more concentrated and easily get too salty. Adjust the seasoning at the end of cooking.

Cook the beef at the correct temperature at the start of cooking. The liquid in the pan should not be allowed to bubble at all vigorously, but just tremble in the centre of the pot. This lets the meat become meltingly tender but not fall apart.

Covering the dish with a tight-fitting lid or foil is also very important, especially with some braised dishes in which the meat is cooked in relatively little liquid. It stops the sauce reducing too much.

Making a slow-cooked dish the day before will improve the flavour immensely. Chill it overnight, then reheat and simmer gently for the briefest time possible before serving.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Breast of lamb
    Brisket.
    General casserole meat.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the use of a "spoiler"?

One of the first meats I cooked in my S/C was just a lamb shank and an onion quartered.
    I cooked it for 6 hours or more.
    The meat just slid off the bone and was pull apart tender and the juices with the onion made a beautiful gravy.
    Slow cookers will make any piece of meat tender.
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    Why the use of a "spoiler"?
    < Snipped >
    Reply - I put that part of the post in "the spoiler" = just to reduce the size of the post
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brisket of beef. Beef skirt. Ox tail (amazing.)
    Neck of lamb.
    I use whole chickens and turkey legs.
    Fresh thyme, rosemary and whole cloves of garlic. Can of haricot beans. Onions, root veg. Can of beer or half bottle of wine. Decent stock. Go away and try to ignore the cooking smells.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Breast of lamb
    Brisket.
    General casserole meat.

I use my slow cooker for Breast of Lamb and Braising Steak
    I also use it for Gammon and Pork Shank. I usually cook them until the skin is soft enough to cut off then continue cooking them for another couple of hours.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use shin beef, whole chickens, brisket, bacon joints, shoulder of pork and lamb shanks in my slow cooker. Never had a bad dinner off any of them.

Today it's shin beef. It's already smelling stupendous.
    I never bother browning anything first, as I have tried both ways and found it makes no difference whatsoever. I know some people do that and say it does, though. Personal preference, I suppose.

Slow cookers also make splendid rice pudding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone, you have all gotten my mouth watering already. Looks like it is a trip to my local butcher during the week & see if he has any Oxtail. I know that the majority of the other bits of meat can easily be sourced from most places, but am not sure about Oxtail, as it is something that I have never really thought about looking for up until I started this thread. Thanks again :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Chuck is very nice in stews and braises, and has that wonderful 'fall-in-pieces' texture when cooked for a long time.

Incidentally if you want the most delicious mince for lasagne. cottage pie or whatever, then ask the butcher to mince up some flank for you.... lush.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Morrisons sells oxtail.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    Cooked some lamb shanks yesterday, delish! Although particularly cheap.

Oxtail is another very tasty cut, it needs to be cooked for ages though.

I don't use a slow cooker, I use a Dutch oven.
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I love oxtail, but I've found that the price has shot up in the last few years, probably due to its promotion by TV Chefs (a similar thing happened with Lamb Shanks). There is often quite a bit of fat to remove from the larger pieces as well. For beef stews, I would always go with shin of beef, it has a lovely gelatinous quality when cooked long and slow. Lamb I tend to go for "hotpot" chops, relatively cheap for lamb and delicious when slow cooked.

I would also say that if you enjoy these cheaper cuts, it may be worth looking at getting a pressure cooker as they cook them beautifully as well, although you obviously can't leave them all day while you're out at work :p
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    anfortis wrote: »
    I love oxtail, but I've found that the price has shot up in the last few years, probably due to its promotion by TV Chefs (a similar thing happened with Lamb Shanks). There is often quite a bit of fat to remove from the larger pieces as well. For beef stews, I would always go with shin of beef, it has a lovely gelatinous quality when cooked long and slow. Lamb I tend to go for "hotpot" chops, relatively cheap for lamb and delicious when slow cooked.

I would also say that if you enjoy these cheaper cuts, it may be worth looking at getting a pressure cooker as they cook them beautifully as well, although you obviously can't leave them all day while you're out at work :p

This is very annoying, isn't it.
    The 'trendies' have discovered these cheap cuts, and they've been appearing on 'gastropub' menus for a few years now, so as you say, the price gets pushed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    This is very annoying, isn't it.
    The 'trendies' have discovered these cheap cuts, and they've been appearing on 'gastropub' menus for a few years now, so as you say, the price gets pushed up.
    Yes.
    In a way it can start to get lesser cuts into the supermarket but they don't stay cheap for long.

For A while I was looking for lamb neck steaks/fillets and the supermarket butchers didn't even know it was a cut but a few months later Morrisons started to stock them.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    For A while I was looking for lamb neck steaks/fillets and the supermarket butchers didn't even know it was a cut but a few months later Morrisons started to stock them.

Says it all about supermarkets and their "butchers"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but although my local butcher does some good deals on regular cuts he doesn't even have smoked or streaky bacon.

He basically just supplies the top sellers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys used to sell boxes of stewing lamb, a mix of neck, ribs and mis-cut chops. It was a big box for less than a fiver. Made fantastic winter casseroles with butter beans etc.
    Now you have to buy the component bits separately from the butcher and pay double.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago, before supermarkets were invented, I used to buy "best end of neck" from the butchers. This was a cheap cut of lamb and, although on the bone, made a delicious casserole or Lancashire hotpot.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Oooh stew :D Gonna have to make one soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Oooh stew :D Gonna have to make one soon.

Gonna make one Sunday and make it last 'til Wednesday. Gets better each day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I picked up my choice of meat from my local butcher yesterday and put it in the freezer until after the weekend, the meat I bought was

Meat

1 Lamb shank just over 1lb
    2lb casserole beef
    1lb Oxtail

Vegetables

Potatoes
    Onion
    Mixed bell peppers
    Sweetcorn
    Green Beans

Now once all my ingredients are in the slow cooker, am I best of getting up at say 6am & cook on low for 12hrs for what I am putting in to make the Oxtail really tender & be ready to eat that evening ?. Or would I be best to cook it the day before and then just reheat it the next day, or cook it for a lesser amount of time ?.

Many Thanks :)
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Now once all my ingredients are in the slow cooker, am I best of getting up at say 6am & cook on low for 12hrs for what I am putting in to make the Oxtail really tender & be ready to eat that evening ?. Or would I be best to cook it the day before and then just reheat it the next day, or cook it for a lesser amount of time ?

I'd do it the day before. The flavour of most stews will improve if left to "mature" for a day or two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anfortis wrote: »
    I'd do it the day before. The flavour of most stews will improve if left to "mature" for a day or two.

Thanks for the fast reply :), I will take the meat out of the freezer today to defrost and cook it up tomorrow, cannot wait. :D
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stews, casseroles, braises, curries, Bolognese, cottage pie etc ALL taste better one or two days later. I find there are no exceptions when cooking meat for a long time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stews, casseroles, braises, curries, Bolognese, cottage pie etc ALL taste better one or two days later. I find there are no exceptions when cooking meat for a long time

Well all the meat is now in my slow cooker & will add the veg a bit later on. No doubt the annoyance of the gorgeous smell during cooking will get my mouth watering, but that is the price I will have to pay until I serve it up tomorrow. :D