Pride

Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
Forum Member
Saw a preview screening today, released on Friday.

Wonderful film with a great ensemble cast and very important story to tell. Great fun with loads of humour and some poignant moments too.
A few dodgy Welsh accents, but they didn't spoil the whole.

The sort of film we Brits do best. Loved it

Comments

• jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I saw it at a 'Gala' last night - the real 'Dai' was there and gave a speech before the showing. Thoroughly enjoyable film - I must admit I cried a couple of times, but laughed much more. - Bill Nighy was amazing and the general cast was great too. I was on the march shown at the end and it was amazing to remember it all - and how generally nice people are, regardless of who they are or what they do.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I saw this tonight.

It really is a wonderful joyous and inspiring film - I would encourage everyone to go and see it. It packs a real emotional punch and I don't think there was a dry eye in the cinema when the final scenes aired.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really did love this film, wonderful cast, heartwarming story (and much more based on a true story than most based on a true story films as well), lovely script, a rare true ensemble piece. Made me a cry a couple of times :o 9/10

Heres a documentary made by the people themselves back in the day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHJhbwEcgrA&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you need to be gay to really enjoy this film?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »

erm, no, being gay or indeed a minor are not requirements for enjoying the film. Much like being a horse or indeed a solider were not requirements for enjoying war horse....:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to get horsey Muttley! With it being called Pride how was I to know?
  • Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member

I'm not and I did.....but a sense of humour helps

Read a couple of reviews - they are nearly all positive. It's message is about apparently disparate groups accepting each other's differences and standing together against a common enemy.
    It's inspiring, funny, poignant, well written and brilliantly acted.

Take a chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll go tomorrow!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Saw this on Saturday and really enjoyed it.

I hadn't heard the history of the events, but read the review and thought I'd give it a go, pleased I did.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

I've heard it helps if you are a lion.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The play was fantastic and I hope the film is too

and what a sad ignorant comment from the poster a few posts above

Yes, you have to be gay to see this film. Cinemas all across the UK are banning all straight people to see it.

What a twit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a sad ignorant comment from the poster a few posts above

Yes, you have to be gay to see this film. Cinemas all across the UK are banning all straight people to see it.

What a twit.

FFS! It was actually a relevant comment. I've just returned from watching this film and absolutely LOVED it. Would you have been so insulting if I'd asked if it was political?

Anyway, it's neither. It's a fantastic story, brilliantly done. I'd say one of the best films I've ever seen in my life.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this film this week. I thought it was brilliantly cast and one of the best films I've seen for ages.

Wasn't too keen on Dominic West in this though, that's the only thing that spoilt an otherwise superb film.
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this today Brilliant film ! 9/10 touching , funny , emotional , and thought provoking ! ..Almelda Staunton and Bill Nighy are excellent !
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a film. The best one I've seen in a long while by far.

Superb story and great cast.A few laughs,a few tears and a brilliant ending.

10/10
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has to be one of the best British films I have ever seen. The cast, script and direction were truly outstanding and it made me laugh out loud and cry like a baby.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the trailer a few weeks ago. It looks great. I'll definitely be going to see it soon.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it and absolutely loved it. Would happily watch it again tomorrow.. and the day after.. abd the day after that.

Inspiring, profound and an indication of what gay pride used to be about and what a shambles it is in 2014
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A very good film. Very uplifting even with the outcome of the Miners Strike and the homophobia they still had to put up with.

Loved the ending,
    especially all the Miner's groups coming to the parade.

Sounds like the film played down Ashton's political motivations (especially for the American market) but IMO there is nothing wrong with joining another cause to foster camaraderie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very good film. Very uplifting even with the outcome of the Miners Strike and the homophobia they still had to put up with.

Loved the ending,
    especially all the Miner's groups coming to the parade.

Sounds like the film played down Ashton's political motivations (especially for the American market) but IMO there is nothing wrong with joining another cause to foster camaraderie.

From what I gather, Ashton did belive quite strongly what was said in the film, that if you oppose discrimination against one group you have to oppose it to all. But it's fair to say he was also pretty shrewd about it, which obviously isn't highlighted in the film so much. It's also fair to say his strong communist beliefs are more implied than openly stated. But the latter is, I think, more because the film was about activism rather than political affliation. This is, after all, a film with only a limited US theatrical release.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing film
    Inspiring
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this.
    OMG so amazing.

That Ben guy who played Mark is hot is fck and American :O
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    erm, no, being gay or indeed a minor are not requirements for enjoying the film. Much like being a horse or indeed a solider were not requirements for enjoying war horse....:confused:

What if your a 'bear'?.....;)
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Seeing this has been bumped - can anybody tell me if it's been on the telly yet? Must be about time :)
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Seeing this has been bumped - can anybody tell me if it's been on the telly yet? Must be about time :)

Sky Movies are currently showing it. I don't know how lucky not it will be between them having it and it being picked up by any terrestrial channel.