Options

Captain America : Civil War

Comments

• Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting excellent reviews and tracking suggests a whopping $220m opening weekend in the US. The first monster movie of the year, then.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yip, receiving phenomenal reviews all round. Could this be Marvel's very own The Dark Knight?
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic reviews so far - really looking forward to this.
  • Options
    Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peggy does die in the movie but sadly no last appearance from Hayley Attwell, a huge shame that the founder of Shield never actually got to share the screen with The Avengers. I did think Peggy would be the one to reunite Tony and Steve before popping her clogs but I guess not.

The only positive thing to take from this for fans of Peggy seems to be that all the critics agree her funeral is the saddest moment in any Marvel movie yet from what I can gather it happens right in the middle of the movie too.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    May 6 is the American release date as its out in the UK on April 29

The only bad comments I've read are that despite Spider-Man being great it does feel like they added his character after the film was finished and you could quite easily take him out of the film which would make no difference at all in the quality of the film!

What happened is that they initially intended to have Spiderman in the film, and Black Panther was just going to appear as T'Challa, his uncostumed identity, with the intention of having T'Challa introduced as Black Panther in his own film.
    However there was a point where it didn't look as though Sony would allow them the rights to Spiderman. So then they decided to make T'Challa appear as his superhero alter ego Black Panther in this film.
    But then they eventually did get the rights to feature Spiderman in the film after all so we ended up getting both Spiderman and Black Panther fully costumed up in this film.

So there probably is an element of truth to what you say. In that they will have written a version of the film with Black Panther without Spiderman, and a version with Spiderman but without T'Challa as Black Panther.
    So when they found out that they could use Spiderman after all, at the development process they would have been at, they would have needed to rewrite things in order to make Spiderman fit in with the Black Panther (in costume) version of the film.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Panther looks so badazz.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point of having all the Avengers characters in this? might aswell call it Avengers 3 or something.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well it doesn't have all the Avengers in it as Thor and Hulk are not in this film as they are off in Thor 3!
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Theo Rose wrote: »
    Peggy does die in the movie but sadly no last appearance from Hayley Attwell, a huge shame that the founder of Shield never actually got to share the screen with The Avengers. I did think Peggy would be the one to reunite Tony and Steve before popping her clogs but I guess not.

The only positive thing to take from this for fans of Peggy seems to be that all the critics agree her funeral is the saddest moment in any Marvel movie yet from what I can gather it happens right in the middle of the movie too.

I thought the scene with Peggy in Winter Soldier was pretty moving for both characters, as we see how age has affected her and how alone Steve really was/felt.
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the scene with Peggy in Winter Soldier was pretty moving for both characters, as we see how age has affected her and how alone Steve really was/felt.

It was a lovely scene in Winter Soldier. Such compassion in each characters eyes for the other ones plight. Lovely.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the spoiler post about Civil War??? Bit early to be posting spoilers already don't you think?
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has anyone loaded up on some of the other films to prep them for Civil War?

I've recently watched both Caps, Iron Man 3, their combined scenes and the action scenes from Avengers Assemble and finally Ant Man last night.

I'm trying to keep my excitement in check but I confess that I am very much looking forward to seeing it on the IMAX screen on Friday night at 10:15.

Go Team Cap!
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member

I've recently watched both Caps, Iron Man 3, their combined scenes and the action scenes from Avengers Assemble and finally Ant Man last night.

I'm trying to keep my excitement in check but I confess that I am very much looking forward to seeing it on the IMAX screen on Friday night at 10:15.

Go Team Cap!

I have probably watched Winter Soldier a few times within the last week, that film is just too bad ass.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Go Team Cap!

No Age of Ultron? That's far more relevant than Iron Man 3 (which doesn't fit at all with the rest and seems to have been ignored).
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    What is the point of having all the Avengers characters in this? might aswell call it Avengers 3 or something.

The point is that Captain America is the main protagonist in the story.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not reading comments as I don't want a spoiler but is it worth paying to go to the cinema to watch? Although I'll probably go no matter what
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Not reading comments as I don't want a spoiler but is it worth paying to go to the cinema to watch? Although I'll probably go no matter what
    Apparently you've just answered your own question...
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, it's had great reviews, including some that say it's the best MCU film so far...

I'm seeing it tonight :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Apparently you've just answered your own question...

I guess but is it any good?
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I guess but is it any good?
    I haven't watched it yet. I'll be watching it Sunday with any luck. It has got superb reviews though, and is slated to be one of the better MCU films (right up there with Guardians, Winter Soldier and Ant Man) so yeah, I'd probably say it's worth seeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I haven't watched it yet. I'll be watching it Sunday with any luck. It has got superb reviews though, and is slated to be one of the better MCU films (right up there with Guardians, Winter Soldier and Ant Man) so yeah, I'd probably say it's worth seeing.

Thanks. I guess tomorrow I'll either be really psyched or kicking myself. I like surprises :D
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decided to treat myself to the Midnight IMAX screening, cannot wait :D
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,682
    Forum Member
    Just got back from seeing this at a Marvel marathon that included every Cap and Avengers' movie, it was pretty damn good. I'll keep this spoiler free;

PROS:
    - The action is amazing, seriously, it's quite funny how almost all the fight scenes lasted longer than the titular "Batman v Superman" fight.
    - Some great humour thrown in, that's actually done well, Spiderman and Ant-Man excel in this department.
    - Strong emotional beats that's actually quite refreshing for the MCU.

CONS:
    - First 45 minutes or so are dull, I dunno if it's because of all the movies I'd witnessed earlier today, but the film didn't hold my attention until Paul Rudd appeared... which is something I never thought I'd say.
    - The main "villains" of the movie feel like an afterthought.

Good movie though, would see again.
  • Options
    SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh man oh man, that FILM.

Literally all that's running through my head right now is Spiderman, Black Panther and
    GIANT MAN!!!

The airport scene is up there with my favourite movie scenes of all time, and surprisingly the character I thought came out of this movie best was Bucky. This surprised me as I didn't like the character going in to CW. The humour was on point as well, and I especially like the interactions between Bucky and Falcon.

I was also shocked that
    there were no major deaths. Peggy was obvious, but I was 100% believing they were going to kill off Cap. I brought tissues and everything!

The post credit scene disappointed me a little as well - if I'm extreme nitpicking.
    I was hoping for a tiny glimpse of Thor and Hulk.

Everyone go see this film though, it's fantastic. I'll be going to see it a second time definitely, as there is a lot I feel I missed as so much happened!
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Apparently Chris Evans made an announcement on the Chris Evans breakfast show this morning about his future participation (or not) in further marvel movies.