Wireless printer recommendation

OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
Forum Member
Currently, we have an Epsom P50 printer which we're happy with the quality it produces but would prefer a wireless printer so we can get rid of the PC & just use the laptop instead.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless printer which is good for photos, graphics etc & has cheap/compatible inks?

Comments

• John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Currently, we have an Epsom P50 printer which we're happy with the quality it produces but would prefer a wireless printer so we can get rid of the PC & just use the laptop instead.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless printer which is good for photos, graphics etc & has cheap/compatible inks?

I have an HP 6500a Wireless all in one, it has been very good and reliable, compatible inks are available, I think this printer may well have been superceded by the HP 6600, but the photograph of that printer looks the same as the one we have.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be watching this thread with interest as I'm thinking about one, too, but the ink costs are putting me off. Currently we have an ancient Epson that's had it's fair share of problems but has cheap ink.

Was looking at Canon but their ink doesn't allow for individual replacements and is more expensive.

Ho-hum:(
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got one of these

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/3949

It does WiFi but I have mine connected to the router via cable (they are only 3 feet apart after all :) ) That one is an all in one so does scanning as well as printing. And it can print photos direct from an SD card without need of a computer. For just a printer then maybe something like this

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/11998

The printer I've got is very good. It is remarkably quick and pretty quiet in operation as well. A lot quicker and quieter than the HP I had before. No complaints about quality. Not had it long enough though to comment about ink replacement.

Being a network printer you connect it to the router and then any computer connected to the same router can print from it provided it has the drivers installed. So you can still use the PC if you want. As well as allowing the laptop to print directly.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I've got one of these

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/3949

It does WiFi but I have mine connected to the router via cable (they are only 3 feet apart after all :) ) That one is an all in one so does scanning as well as printing. And it can print photos direct from an SD card without need of a computer. For just a printer then maybe something like this

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/11998

The printer I've got is very good. It is remarkably quick and pretty quiet in operation as well. A lot quicker and quieter than the HP I had before. No complaints about quality. Not had it long enough though to comment about ink replacement.

Being a network printer you connect it to the router and then any computer connected to the same router can print from it provided it has the drivers installed. So you can still use the PC if you want. As well as allowing the laptop to print directly.

Thanks for the recommendations :) It's always been Epsom we've used so would rather stick with that & the second one you linked to looks ideal.

We hardly ever use the PC so would just get rid of it so we can have the extra space & get rid of the PC desk too
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought an Epson XP-305 for under £50, It's wireless, scans, copies and prints, and is also suitable for air print and Google cloud printing, You can also set it up to print from anywhere in the world. Print quality looks good. Printer cartridges are averagely expensive, but each colour has its own cartridge, so you can replace them separately.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Just bought an Epson XP-305 for under £50, It's wireless, scans, copies and prints, and is also suitable for air print and Google cloud printing, You can also set it up to print from anywhere in the world. Print quality looks good. Printer cartridges are averagely expensive, but each colour has its own cartridge, so you can replace them separately.

Wow £42 here
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008OHNID2/ref=asc_df_B008OHNID211680756/?tag=iceleads-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B008OHNID2&linkCode=asn

I want a cloud printer, but i'd have to go for a laser printer next to be honest. I'm sick of ink cartridges clogging up every time i want to print because i print so infrequently.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have an HP Photosmart that is wireless. Can also 'email' things to it as it has its own email address as well as using apps on ipad, android etc when needed. You can even use its touch screen to print off games and stuff for kids!

We have however also just bought a mono laser printer.

Seems that inkjets use the colour ink even if you only ever print in black. I get through as much colour ink as I do black, yet hardly print colours. Hence the addition of the laser printer just to print black. That has compatible toners for £20 that will print circa 2600 pages. Compare that to inkjets that do 250 to 300 pages at £4 to 10 a pop.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Just bought an Epson XP-305 for under £50, It's wireless, scans, copies and prints, and is also suitable for air print and Google cloud printing, .........

How is it for noise? I used to have an Epson which printed great photos, even using compatible inks. However, it was extremely noisy, especially when first switched on. Even then I only got rid of it when the paper feed started behavibg erratically.

I must admit I've just applied for a renewal passport, 10 months early, because the passport photo I printed has faded to near invisibility.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,572
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    How is it for noise? I used to have an Epson which printed great photos, even using compatible inks. However, it was extremely noisy, especially when first switched on. Even then I only got rid of it when the paper feed started behavibg erratically.

I must admit I've just applied for a renewal passport, 10 months early, because the passport photo I printed has faded to near invisibility.

My Epson also died when its paper feed collapsed. I then bought a Kodak where the printer head failed after a few weeks, the new one still prints faint and the ink seems to dry out rapidly been when its not used..........