Weird test signal on UHF channel 60.

2»

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xtaz wrote: »
    I think the sealand thing is a myth these days. I seem to remember that the government changed the definition of how many miles out the boundary is for national/international waters to encompass sealand.

In 1987 according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand#Legal_status

yes and Sealand did the same the day before, so the devide between Sealand and UK waters is about 3 1/2 miles out! So the UK waters dont actually encumpass Sealand, as Sealand got there first!
    I suppose they wouldnt want to upset the UK anyway being so close though!

Check this page linked from the Sealand website: http://www.fruitsofthesea.demon.co.uk/sealand/factfile.html
    SEALAND STATE CORPORATION was formed some years ago under a Charter that gave the Corporation total authority under its Board of elected Senators to administer and to govern the island. It was established before the Principality extended its territorial limits to 12 miles and during that time:
    The Corporation passed all the Laws and statutes and owned the land and resources of Sealand.
    The Corporation assisted in the development of all Sealand potential and assets in such manner as it decided.
    Within the territory of Sealand and the three miles of territorial waters bounding the island, the Corporation ensured that Sealand law was absolute and Sealand was accountable to nobody for the enforcement of its laws within this area.
    Sealand was declared a Free Trade zone and no Customs duties or Gaming restrictions were to be imposed.

Be very carful about trusting wikipedia!
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    yes and Sealand did the same the day before, so the devide between Sealand and UK waters is about 3 1/2 miles out! So the UK waters dont actually encumpass Sealand, as Sealand got there first!
    I suppose they wouldnt want to upset the UK anyway being so close though!

They would have to go through international co-ordination and avoid interference with their neighbours. They wouldn't be able to intentionally broadcast a TV station to the UK, no matter what their legal status is. It's the same as the Manx government trying to do the same thing - they'd be able to broadcast a very low power mux to cover the Isle of Man, but if they decided to turn it up to 11 and blast it over the sea, then they'd be causing radio interference to the UK, same as any individual within the country would.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With reference to what Winston 1 was saying. I too remember Thameside TV broadcasting on ch.28 back in the late autumn and winter of 1984 from somewhere down in south east London. Pictures were grainy and it had a very uneasy feel about it. They kept showing the Band Aid video 'Do they know it's Christmas' over and over again.
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this post I did is almost 2 years old, but I found out where the test signal was coming from, it was actually being sent from my Amstrad 780 HD box whilst it was on Standby via the RF Loopthrough, when I took the box out because it was replaced with a Amstrad 595 the signal has never returned.