Smartphone for busy exec?

MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
Forum Member
For my OH.... she'll get it bought for her, but must be on vodaphone. She's tried a treo, battery wouldn't last 10 hours, she hates it beyond all reason, there's no going back. HTC, they have her a demo HD2 but didn't set it up, so it didn't work. Not pleased with that for that reason, though not as bad as the treo. Nokia N97, is it reliable enough for somewone who can barely find the time for a wee wee break? Any other suggestions? She'll use maps occasionally, and the odd google search, otherwise it's mainly email text and calls.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had the N97 for a few months now and haven't had any reliabilty issues. Ovi maps is pretty rubbish although I haven't used it much. Google maps, which is free, is quite good though.

If she isn't overly bothered by the features then she might want to go for the mini as when using the keyboard compared to the normal N97 I found it easier to use. Although both are fine.

Another phone she might want to consider is the Blackberry Bold. There are a few other variations of Blackberry so she might want to check them out. The top few execs at our company are using Blackberries and these guys are always rushing around and everything seems to be fine!
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the input. She liked the slide out keyboard on the HTC she tried, unfortunately IT completely cocked up the setup, then said the phone was faulty, and gave her this palm thingy, which is well named a palm, it was invented by Madam palm and her 5 lovely daughters. I have a 5800, as does my son. If this were a private deal, the N97 would be here on the table being set up, but as it's the world's 3rd largest organisation, we need to prod them into action with a cattle probe, and tell them what to do, as they are so obviously incapable of making a rational decision. The question is asked because we really don't want to be in the situation of telling them what to do and then finding a fault. The 'I told you so' factor would be quyite unbearable, they are a smug lot of useless bastards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    If your OH works for the worlds 3rd largest organisation, surely they have a standard handset or two that everybody uses?
    Forum Member
    KAC wrote: »
    If your OH works for the worlds 3rd largest organisation, surely they have a standard handset or two that everybody uses?

No, they don't. Up to now they'v e been bonkers paranoid about security, and have not allowed email off site. She's had VPN on her PC for a while now, but only via a 3g connection, she's been banned from connecting via our broadband. She's the CEO btw, not some youngster in accounts!
    They are just rolling smartphones ourt to the exec team, there are 3 different phones in use already.
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    No, they don't. Up to now they'v e been bonkers paranoid about security, and have not allowed email off site. She's had VPN on her PC for a while now, but only via a 3g connection, she's been banned from connecting via our broadband. She's the CEO btw, not some youngster in accounts!
    They are just rolling smartphones ourt to the exec team, there are 3 different phones in use already.

Wow, just wow. Short of sacking the IT dept (which I'm thinking would probably be the best!), I think Blackberrys are the way to go.

The handsets can be locked with passwords and remotely wiped if the handset goes missing, although they'll need to get a BES setup.

Your OH needs to start stamping her feet to remind IT that they work for her and not the other way around. :)
    Forum Member
    LOL, if only! It's difficult and time consuming to sack even the grossly incompetent in the public sector. We hope to guide them to the right decision. The director is motivated and helpful, but sadly he's new in post, and his influence will take time to spread down the chain of command. I've previously upset a hospital IT dept, after reading them their family history for not being able to give OH a new lappy in 6 weeks in a previous job, I m sworn to good behaviour here. Blackberry, OK, obviously it was on the shortlist, maybe a trip to the vodaphone shop would be helpful. As it happens, the manager of our local one is a radiographer's son, his mum is a paid up member of OH's fan club. I find it best to sort these thngs out with as much info as possible, so we are grateful for your contribution, and your sympathy!
    Forum Member
    If Blackberrys are on the short list, then it's probably worth getting them in for everyone and not just for your OH.

Have a look at this link for the BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server).

You can also take a look at the security provided by the BES here.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think consumer Blackberrys can be connected to a BES so they would have to be provided through Vodafone for Business.
    Forum Member
    KAC wrote: »
    If Blackberrys are on the short list, then it's probably worth getting them in for everyone and not just for your OH.

Have a look at this link for the BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server).

You can also take a look at the security provided by the BES here.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think consumer Blackberrys can be connected to a BES so they would have to be provided through Vodafone for Business.

That's not an issue, he hospital would buy them anyway, NHS as a whole are vodaphone business customers. You are quite correct, though and it's not Blackberry, but Vodaphone who instigate this. I have to use webmail with my 5800, though that's prefectly fine in fact.