Female Sports Anchors

Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With today being the day that Rebecca Lowe makes history by being the first woman to front coverage of the FA Cup Final for a British audience (albeit by default due to Ray Stubbs convalescing following heart surgery), this has got me thinking; has there even been a major sporting event shown on Sky which coverage has been anchored, or co-anchored by a female?

We've seen Sue Barker, Clare Balding and Hazel Irvine front major sporting occasions on the BBC; Gabby Logan, in her ITV days, hosted 2 Champions League finals and a UEFA Cup final; Alice Plunkett and Emma Spencer have co-hosted the major jumping and flat race meetings respectively on Channel 4, but I can't recall a major sporting occasion shown live on Sky which has had a female host.

Comments

• sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ali Douglas presented SPL on Sky Sports in the 2009-10 season but was replaced by David Tanner the next season. Di Stewart presented some Golf but for major sporting events like Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup, England Internationals, Heineken Cup, England Cricket, Golf majors etc. they haven't had a female presenter
  • mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Sarah Jane Mee presents Football First, Kirsty Gallagher presented some parts of the Masters (Par 3 competition).
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    Ali Douglas presented SPL on Sky Sports in the 2009-10 season but was replaced by David Tanner the next season. Di Stewart presented some Golf but for major sporting events like Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup, England Internationals, Heineken Cup, England Cricket, Golf majors etc. they haven't had a female presenter

Ali Douglas was an absolute disaster.

Di Stewart was weak - she was very poor when she started in 2007 but over the years did improve slightly. But she never got to the basic standard required to prevent live sport.

In contrast, Di's replacement Sarah Stirk is absolutely excellent. She does a good job presenting lower profile US and European tour events and I wonder if in time she may become Sky's number 1 golf presenter.

David Livingstone is in his late 50s I think so in a few years time she may have a shot. I'm sure Sky would like a female in a number 1 presenting role in a major sport and Sarah can do it.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,200
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »

Di stewart was weak - she was very poor when she started in 2007 but over the years did improve slightly. But she never got to the basic standard required to prevent live sport.

In contrast, Di's replacement Sarah Stirk is absolutely excellent. She does a good job presenting lower profile US and European tour events and I wonder if in time she may become Sky's number 1 golf presenter.

David Livingstone is late 50s I think so in a few years time she may have a shot. I'm sure Sky would like a female in a number 1 presenting role in a major sport and Sarah can do it.

Did Di Stewart's appointment have anything to do with the revelations that she and Jonny Wilkinson knew each other- rather than ability
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »

Di Stewart was weak - she was very poor when she started in 2007 but over the years did improve slightly. But she never got to the basic standard required to prevent live sport.

David Livingstone is in his late 50s I think so in a few years time she may have a shot. I'm sure Sky would like a female in a number 1 presenting role in a major sport and Sarah can do it.

She used to front Setanta Golf's coverage of golfing swell, she knows her stuff.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV make history today with not one but two female cricket presenters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    ITV make history today with not one but two female cricket presenters.

fair play to ITV today, the BBC & ITV in fairness have shown the way with female presenters
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fair play to ITV today, the BBC & ITV in fairness have shown the way with female presenters

Hear hear. So who is presenting the IPL on ITV4 today?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    IPL Cricket on ITV4 was presented today by Isa Guha & Shonali Nagrani.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression that ITV are really backing Isa Guha as a young presenter with huge potential. In all honesty she wasn't great for the first few shows, but she is getting better the more she's on air. Having two female presenters did seem slightly odd (particularly as Sky are yet to ever feature a woman commentator/pundit on a non Women's game, let alone use a female presenter), but it worked out fine.

Of course, partly ITV were forced into having these two together (though Shonali has presented on her own a few times this year already) by the fact that all three male presenters - Matt Smith, Mark Pougatch and occasionally Angus Scott - were probably presenting FA Cup coverage of some sort.
  • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    shelsey93 wrote: »

Of course, partly ITV were forced into having these two together (though Shonali has presented on her own a few times this year already) by the fact that all three male presenters - Matt Smith, Mark Pougatch and occasionally Angus Scott - were probably presenting FA Cup coverage of some sort.

Yep, Scott was presenting Al-Jazeera's coverage, Pougatch was anchoring for 5 Live, and I presume Matt Smith will be presenting highlights for ITV later
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the impression that ITV are really backing Isa Guha as a young presenter with huge potential. In all honesty she wasn't great for the first few shows, but she is getting better the more she's on air. Having two female presenters did seem slightly odd (particularly as Sky are yet to ever feature a woman commentator/pundit on a non Women's game, let alone use a female presenter), but it worked out fine.

I don't have Sky but have they never used a women before on Cricket. I remember Channel 4 used Claire Connor for a few test matches and Sybil Ruscoe hosted the Cricket Roadshow so its a bit odd they never had one before
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the problem with female anchors is that they have to look good as well as able to do the anchor job (which is the hardest job to do). There are few in the uk that can do both ! sue barker being one. Think women are more suitable to do serious news and local news rather than sport ,unless its tennis and sports quizes..
    Some who i wont mention looked absolutely dreadfull well they look great just "dreadfull" at trying to be a sports anchor..
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have Sky but have they never used a women before on Cricket. I remember Channel 4 used Claire Connor for a few test matches and Sybil Ruscoe hosted the Cricket Roadshow so its a bit odd they never had one before

Indeed, what happened to Connor? In that she was bigged-up in 2003 as being a new signing to the team and how it was a ground-breaking move and all that, only for her to disappear for a couple of tests and not be used as a commentator in 2004 or 5 (although she stayed as a part-time Cricket Show reporter, dovetailing with her cricketing commitments). Did C4 bow to the critics, or did something else crop up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, what happened to Connor? In that she was bigged-up in 2003 as being a new signing to the team and how it was a ground-breaking move and all that, only for her to disappear for a couple of tests and not be used as a commentator in 2004 or 5 (although she stayed as a part-time Cricket Show reporter, dovetailing with her cricketing commitments). Did C4 bow to the critics, or did something else crop up?

Connor is now the ECB's head of Women's cricket. She is usually used as a pundit/commentator on Sky when women's cricket is shown. Isa Guha, Rosalie Birch, Mel Jones and Ebony Rainford-Brent have also been used on women's matches at various times. But a woman never presents, and, even when a women's match is part of a double header with a county game or men' international, a man takes the woman's place for the men's game. I can sort of see why, though it would be nice to see what a Connor or Guha had to say about the men's game... when used as a pundit on the IPL, Guha has been more knowledgeable than most of the male pundits.

Of course, Anita Rani and Sarah-Jane Mee have hosted Cricket AM but that is hardly live cricket.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connor is now the ECB's head of Women's cricket. She is usually used as a pundit/commentator on Sky when women's cricket is shown. Isa Guha, Rosalie Birch, Mel Jones and Ebony Rainford-Brent have also been used on women's matches at various times. But a woman never presents, and, even when a women's match is part of a double header with a county game or men' international, a man takes the woman's place for the men's game. I can sort of see why, though it would be nice to see what a Connor or Guha had to say about the men's game... when used as a pundit on the IPL, Guha has been more knowledgeable than most of the male pundits.

Of course, Anita Rani and Sarah-Jane Mee have hosted Cricket AM but that is hardly live cricket.

Yep, I'm aware of Connor's current role. I was wondering more if anybody knew why she was quickly removed from the C4 commentary roster after a fanfare of publicity. I have the 2003 England-SA Match Programme from the Lord's Test, produced as a magazine by C4 in those days, and there is an article all about her introduction to live commentary, so it was hardly a quiet introduction.

And, yes, Anita Rani joined the Cricket Show on C4 for the past couple of years (? - or was it just 2005) before being poached by Sky for Cricket AM. Of course, she's now doing bigger and better things on the One Show.