Should Chezza have elocution lessons ?

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidnumen wrote: »
    She definitely needs elocution lessons if you listen to her current advert. "It's like wa-er on my lips" and "a splash of shii" which creases us up because it sounds like "a splash of shi*e".

She doesn't have to lose her accent to speak well.

This is probably the result of not being all lardy daah, or, well spoken.
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like a bit of geordie.
  • tsarinatsarina Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    'Hey there, Geordie girl' . The Seekers.

I think you'll find it is "Hey there Georgie Girl" ;)

Not a fan of Cheryls by any stretch of the imagination but no way does she need to change her accent
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    tsarina wrote: »
    I think you'll find it is "Hey there Georgie Girl" ;)

Not a fan of Cheryls by any stretch of the imagination but no way does she need to change her accent

Poetic license. :p
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She definitely needs elocution lessons if you listen to her current advert. "It's like wa-er on my lips" and "a splash of shii" which creases us up because it sounds like "a splash of shi*e".

Just seen this interview with her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRoEwfXPZ_g

She speaks much better English than Ray Winstone and he has become one of the UK's biggest actors. I recently saw an interview with Winstone and I couldn't believe an actor had such poor spoken grammar. It seems to be OK to speak badly if you're from London (EastEnders is another example) but not if you're from further north.
  • mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like her accent, it's softened a lot since she was first on Popstars but still has a thick twang. Sure some of her pronunciation is still quite regional (e.g. saying water without the letter t!) but her diction is pretty good. Would hate it more if she toned it down so much it becomes an unidentifiable general Northern burr.
  • davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »

She speaks much better English than Ray Winstone and he has become one of the UK's biggest actors. I recently saw an interview with Winstone and I couldn't believe an actor had such poor spoken grammar. It seems to be OK to speak badly if you're from London (EastEnders is another example) but not if you're from further north.

Neither of them need to have great grammar but clear diction IS required. Winstone reads other people's words, he's not a writer. Same as Cheryl doing an advert - but the fact that one of her lines in her current advert is, IMHO, open to an unfortunate but hilarious misinterpretation purely because of her pronunciation proves she should polish her skills.

Nothing to do with being "posh", just being understood.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheryl's what I class as a well spoken Geordie in that interview. Her 'o' in words are sounding different. They aren't flat any more. Also, saying 'I' instead of 'a'. Saying me instead of 'urz'. Still, I suppose you'd have to clean up the way you talk for television. If they took someone from here whose speech hadn't been changed, you'd likely need a translator. :D
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The way she punched her fist when chosen to be in 'Girls Aloud' way back in 2002 told you all you need to know about 'Miss Tweedy'.:rolleyes:
    You can't polish a.........:sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I happen to like her northen voice.
    It's hard to understand but she's atleast real.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has changed the way she speaks if you compare an interview from now to the early days of Girls Aloud.
    Forum Member
    No problems with her talking, it gives everyone character. If we all went around talking like the Queen or DoE it would be boring or artificial. At least shes not hiding her roots.

Tis her singing.

Might be something in paying her not to sing.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're joking right? People with London and South East accents get bashed all the time for being 'common'. It seems all regional accents are fine except for London ones in many peoples eyes. Especially when anyone from Brighton up to Milton Keynes is called a 'cockney' as an insult
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change Elocution to Electrocution and I will agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    She looks well cute with short hair in the new Loreal ad, then she opens her mouth and that Geordie accent is just so grating.

Someone needs lessons...
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan but she should keep her accent. It annoys me to hear people dropping their accent. (John Barrowman I'm looking at you)
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    You're joking right? People with London and South East accents get bashed all the time for being 'common'. It seems all regional accents are fine except for London ones in many peoples eyes. Especially when anyone from Brighton up to Milton Keynes is called a 'cockney' as an insult

I'm guilty of this, there's a couple I know that moved from Brighton to be near their Grandchildren, the husband has a strong accent, I assumed he was a Londoner but he was born in Brighton. I've also met people from Harrow that had no strong accent, I assumed everyone from London sounded more or less the same :o
    Forum Member
    Bungitin embarassing secret.

About 40 years ago I went to stay with my grandparents for a fortnight down on the Isle of Sheppey, I had immense difficulty in understanding the locals. Spent my time counting potholes and wondering about that ship off Sheerness.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guilty of this, there's a couple I know that moved from Brighton to be near their Grandchildren, the husband has a strong accent, I assumed he was a Londoner but he was born in Brighton. I've also met people from Harrow that had no strong accent, I assumed everyone from London sounded more or less the same :o

Tbh, they probably do sound the same to non Londoners but we can tell the difference in accent between people who live a few miles apart.
    I'm from South London and my best mate is from East and, to me, we sound completely different but maybe to others we sound identical.

Mind you, I think all people from Lancashire/Yorkshire sound the same so I'm probably just as guilty.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how this country has different towns with different accents .. I don't think she should change her accent .. That's part of who she is
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    She has changed the way she speaks if you compare an interview from now to the early days of Girls Aloud.

I concur had elocution lessons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member

She probably has had lessons to try and crack the states, it hasn't worked though.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huh?:confused:

Surely having an opinion has nothing to do with ignorance.

Ignorant in the sense that because the OP can't understand her she should have lessons to fix it. How about...listen a little more carefully!
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKNikey wrote: »
    I happen to like her northen voice.
    It's hard to understand but she's atleast real.

She doesn't write her own songs, she doesn't sing them live, she is auto tuned in the studio recordings (that's if they even bother, I would just get a ghost singer in, like Boney M did), she has never worked for her fame other than a quick competition that is seen as producing low quality disposable pop music to masses of morons.

So her accent is about the only "real" thing about her, everything else is a finely crafted media ****, and thats it. I wish she would take "learning to understand my place in the world" lessons and **** off back to the cave she spawned from.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Why? It's a generic Geordie accent; plenty of people talk like her