Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    I live in Sweh's spare room. It's shit. Full of shoes and stuff :(

Nah, sweh wouldn't go for that...
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a 41yr old single, divorcing, working mum of two.

If you've got the energy to sket about then go for it. :D

I haven't got the energy to blink right now.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it. Food shopping and cooking can be a bit of a pain in the arse, other than that it's good.

It can be a bit fiddly cooking for one and you've got to be more careful over what you buy in terms of fresh produce as there's less people eating it so more likely to go off if you're not careful. Economies of scale means it's often more expensive on a per head basis too as you can't necessarily always take advantage of 2 for 1 offers or buy one, get the second half price, that kind of thing. Even milk is cheaper per pint the more you buy as a rule. It depends on the product but sometimes there's no point going for certain deals or you'll just have to chuck it out.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A third of the population live on their own for Fred's sake, the OP's tone couldn't be more patronising if they had asked " does anyone still cack their pants " ? :)
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do I find it? Bliss :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    How do you find it?

Map and a compass.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dee do de de, dee do de de
    I don't have no time for no monkey business
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Nobody hogging the duvet
    - Nobody keeping you awake by snoring
    - Nobody making you feel guilty if you feel the need for a jammie day
    - In reverse...go to bed when you're ready. 9pm or 2am. Read or watch tv without worrying about disturbing your partner.
    - Complete freedom. Leave the dishes in the sink (they're not going anywhere, you're the only one to do them) and head out for a walk with the dog on a nice night. If the kids are having fun in the park with friends, stay out late and grab a takeaway or have a late dinner without worrying about getting back to get the dinner on.

^ spot on :)
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    NO. living with a man is stressful especially cleaning up after them :p and though i like the odd few hours break i couldn't live alone without him. if i hadn't met him i hoped i'd have got my own place and in hindsight i don't think id have liked it. having no one to talk to , alone at night with all the strange noises , having to deal with bills and emergencies and spiders etc all alone. it would be horrible.
  • Options
    GAZ237GAZ237 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    46 Been living on my own for 4 months. My son comes and stays every other weekend. Happy enough,
    I prefer to cook my meals rather than buy crap you just stick in the oven for 20mins.

So I cook enough for 2 nights at a time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched a basket ball player smash his leg to pieces.

I wish I wasn't alone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I like it. Food shopping and cooking can be a bit of a pain in the arse, other than that it's good.

It can be a bit fiddly cooking for one and you've got to be more careful over what you buy in terms of fresh produce as there's less people eating it so more likely to go off if you're not careful. Economies of scale means it's often more expensive on a per head basis too as you can't necessarily always take advantage of 2 for 1 offers or buy one, get the second half price, that kind of thing. Even milk is cheaper per pint the more you buy as a rule. It depends on the product but sometimes there's no point going for certain deals or you'll just have to chuck it out.

Freezing is your friend.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freezing is your friend.

No, Tony is.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I think overall the benefits, outweigh the disadvantages, but one of the biggest pissers for me is that there is no National Railcard for single people of my age in the UK. It's frankly blatant discrimination. I've contacted ATOC about this and they basically said, sorry we can't help you. Bye.

http://www.railcard.co.uk

It seems that just about everybody else can get a National Railcard, but if you're over 25 and under 60, single, do not have children, are not disabled or travel on your own etc. etc. forget it.

:mad: :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    My concern is I am getting a little too used to living alone

Definitely positives out weigh negs but finances would be nice to share with a partner
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GAZ237 wrote: »
    I prefer to cook my meals rather than buy crap you just stick in the oven for 20mins.

So I cook enough for 2 nights at a time.

This is the best approach . Rather than some shit ready meal full of fat and salt , cook fresh and store leftovers for the day after :D
    My homemade lasagna lasts for two meals + one snack . Cheap enough :)
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never lived alone. I left home and shared flats until I married
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_Burts wrote: »
    My concern is I am getting a little too used to living alone

Definitely positives out weigh negs but finances would be nice to share with a partner

Yes, it is addictive - I love it but recognise it's reached the stage where I can't imagine ever sharing with family or a partner again.
  • Options
    julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived alone for over three years now and I love it. There are disadvantages, but it is nothing compared to how awesome it is to be totally independent :)
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I live on my own but in a block of flats and I can always hear my neighbours around. I live within a couple of miles of my family as well. The only downside for me is the cost. Living on your own is flipping expensive. The council tax is only 25% off - why? And obviously gas and electricity is the same whether it's one person or four using it. Buying food and trying to make sure it doesn't go off is also tricky as everything is made for more than one. :o

Apart from the standing charge, I don't think that's true striing. My bills went down substantially when my sons left home 2 years ago and this year when they've been home more with girlfriends in tow they have gone back up by about £40 per month!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I would but who'd get any spiders out of the bath. (I'm terrified of insects, if I lived alone and there was a daddy long legs or something floating around the kitchen, I'd about cry).
  • Options
    BlomkvistBlomkvist Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would but who'd get any spiders out of the bath. (I'm terrified of insects, if I lived alone and there was a daddy long legs or something floating around the kitchen, I'd about cry).

I've got a Daddy long legs clumsily bashing itself into every wall as I type this, just gently blow them away if they come close, they can't hurt you. :)

Lived alone for five years now (With a Border Collie & a 20 year old cat.) Getting a bit set in my ways, but, nobody knows the future.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oddly enough, the spider thing was my biggest fear when I started living alone. I dscovered the swiftness of a hoover in despatching the very large ones, and I'm just about able now to catch the medium ones with a glass and an old envelope before chucking them out of the window.

Can't help you with daddy long legs, I'm afraid, as I'm perfectly happy to catch those in my hands and take them outside.

As for the OP, I wouldn't give up living on my own for anything. Seriously. It keeps me sane.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I used to - for years and loved it - now living with my mother - adore her and it works - but I do miss the solitude.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well if they're in the bath, you just turn the tap on until they're 'gone' ;)

It's something that i've had to get used to over the years living on my own. I can dispose of the small to medium sized ones fairly easily, even though i hate every moment of it :)

I did have a couple of giant alien godzilla death-sized ones out in the hallway a couple of times over the past 18 months, but a washing up bowl full of boiling water, bleach and cleaning solution took care of those (and gave me a nice clean landing as well .. heh :))