Is 'Stay' Leona's best ballad?

Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
Forum Member
✭✭
I rediscovered this song today again after quite some time and it still baffles me how it never made her album Echo, I honestly think its her best ballad.

It is very raw, stripped back and emotional and her vocals are incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-Bw3MPU78

What do you think? I actually wouldn't mind if she added this to her next release, I think these are the types of ballads she should be recording, they need a nice melody and hook, and this has them.

Comments

• samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is.

One of my favourite songs from her.
  • vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is her second best. The best is Broken. Third best if you count Alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broken is definitely the best ever Leona Lewis song. I could listen to that song forever.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny this thread should pop up, i recently found this youtube video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m5VBFkG9N8U

Almost 2 hours of unreleased and rare Leona tracks. There's nothing on here that any self respecting Leona fan shouldn't have heard before but its nice to have all of them together and definately some contender s on here for her best ballad.
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its definitely up there! I like how organic it sounds compared to her other ballads which usually have big, lush production (Which works great for her too of course).

There are a lot of great Leona tracks that never made it onto her albums and always seem to leak. Perfection, Scene of The Crime and How Everything You Are definitely should've made the cut.

I'm probably alone here but her best ballad for me is Here I Am, closely followed by Broken, Fireflies, My Hands and Footprints.

Better in Time is my favourite song of hers of all time, but I think thats more of a mid tempo than a ballad.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Funny this thread should pop up, i recently found this youtube video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m5VBFkG9N8U

Almost 2 hours of unreleased and rare Leona tracks. There's nothing on here that any self respecting Leona fan shouldn't have heard before but its nice to have all of them together and definately some contender s on here for her best ballad.

It really is incredible how many tracks of Leona's have leaked, and most of them are actually strong songs. She has been quite unlucky with leaks, though it is good for us as undoubtably we would never have heard most of these tracks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »
    Its definitely up there! I like how organic it sounds compared to her other ballads which usually have big, lush production (Which works great for her too of course).

There are a lot of great Leona tracks that never made it onto her albums and always seem to leak. Perfection, Scene of The Crime and How Everything You Are definitely should've made the cut.

I'm probably alone here but her best ballad for me is Here I Am, closely followed by Broken, Fireflies, My Hands and Footprints.

Better in Time is my favourite song of hers of all time, but I think thats more of a mid tempo than a ballad.

Here I Am was my favourite song on Spirit but Broken beat it. I love all of the songs you mentioned except for Better in Time.

I don't know how some of the unreleased tracks stayed unreleased compared to some on the albums, especially with so few songs on glassheart.
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    Here I Am was my favourite song on Spirit but Broken beat it. I love all of the songs you mentioned except for Better in Time.

I don't know how some of the unreleased tracks stayed unreleased compared to some on the albums, especially with so few songs on glassheart.
    Here I Am and Broken are almost a tie for me, the latter didn't become such a favourite for me though until I saw her live for the second time last year and she blew me away with her rendition!

I really love Better In Time, it just has such a feel good vibe to it. It also still regularly gets played on radio and seems to have a lot of lasting power :).
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, soooo pure.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's great. I would only rank the live acoustic version of Come Alive above it. So many wasted opportunities for Leona is her back catalogue.
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love nearly all of Leona's ballads, and Stay is surely in my top 5, along with How Everything You Are.