Cheryl - Live Cover - TLC's Unpretty and Beyonce's Pretty Hurts

Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CL8AflXelQ

Nice enough cover, doesn't remotely come close to the originals though. Looks like this acoustic set is one of many, she wrote on twitter 'tbc' (to be continued).

I hope she recorded a live version of her title track Only Human, brilliant song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=290-HxHfBXI&list

Comments

• AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, well done Cheryl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CL8AflXelQ

Nice enough cover, doesn't remotely come close to the originals though. Looks like this acoustic set is one of many, she wrote on twitter 'tbc' (to be continued).

I hope she recorded a live version of her title track Only Human, brilliant song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=290-HxHfBXI&list

As per usual, someone else is singing harmony to cover her faults and you can hear the dynamic live autotune, particularly when she tries to use a vibrato tone going up her vocal scale, particularly when she sings "all because of you-oo-oo" at around :53. It's acarefully edited and produced recording, this is not live. Live performances don't tend to have multicamera set ups and multiple edits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I bet she was ruining those songs then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I bet she was ruining those songs then.

I wonder how many takes it took. I do have to say though the editing and direction are very good.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    couldn't sing to save her life
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone tell me what the thing/effect is called that is added to her voice? It's not auto tune, but it really annoys me as so many people who make these bloody YouTube videos use it. Really annoys me when people I know ask me to take a look at someone's Youtube video and you can't tell if they're good or not because they've got this bloody effect on their voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me what the thing/effect is called that is added to her voice? It's not auto tune, but it really annoys me as so many people who make these bloody YouTube videos use it. Really annoys me when people I know ask me to take a look at someone's Youtube video and you can't tell if they're good or not because they've got this bloody effect on their voice.

It is a form of autotune called Antares, it's a dynamic live autotune program with real time processing pitch precision syncopation technology. Within 0.025 seconds it can find the note they were aiming for and correct it before it comes out the speaker.
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is improving, I'll give her that much. I wish she'd just stick to doing decent club/dance songs and autotuning the hell out of them.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely can't hear autotune on this, it must be really subtle if there is any. When she has used it before on live performances it has been really obvious, see The Flood Royal Variety Show, but I don't hear it here.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think Cheryl is a huge TLC fan:)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    It is a form of autotune called Antares, it's a dynamic live autotune program with real time processing pitch precision syncopation technology. Within 0.025 seconds it can find the note they were aiming for and correct it before it comes out the speaker.

Wow! Technology these days....:o
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    i quite enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Terrible 😣 she's butchered one of my favourite songs.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is rather ok actually. But just ok.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs to leave well alone!! Can't sing, can't dance, can't mentor or judge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    We all know Cheryl is no Adele or Mariah but it's not the worst version of the song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I think this really shows that Cheryl is unfairly judged and criticised. This is evidence of yes that she is not an incredible vocalist but she has never claimed to be. However, this is evidence of her knowing her capability and performing to it. This shows her having a beautiful tone that is controlled and actually rather distinctive. Also, you can hear the power in her voice during that "pretty hurts" note towards the end that she should definitely show more of.
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice attempt and good results, with lot of effort from whoever edited / mixed that clip!