Options

League 1 Thread 2012-13

Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Here is a thread to discuss all things League 1 for the coming season. There are five live League 1 games shown live on Sky in the first two months of season, plus two live first round Capital One (League) Cup matches involving League 1 clubs:

Mon 13 Aug - Oldham Athletic v Sheffield Wed (Cap 1 Cup, 7.45pm ko)
Tues 14 Aug - Swindon Town v Brighton & Hove Albion (Cap 1 Cup, 7.45pm ko)
Sun 9 Sep - Coventry City v Stevenage (npower League 1, 1.15pm ko)
Sun 9 Sep - Crawley Town v Portsmouth (npower League 1, 3.30pm ko)
Thur 13 Sep - Leyton Orient v Brentford (npower League 1, 7.45pm ko)
Sun 14 Oct - Preston North End v MK Dons (npower League 1, 1.15pm ko)
Sun 14 Oct - Shrewsbury Town v Walsall (npower League 1, 3.30pm ko)

Good luck to all the fans of League 1 clubs this season!

Comments

• Options
    familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Oldham fans I hope they finish in top 10 but they might end up in bottom 4 but hopely not.
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stevenage fan here - hopefully we have a season as good as last! It will be tough as we've lost a large portion of the spine built by Graham Westley already, but we've made some fairly decent replacements so far with more to come presumably. I think I'd be content with midtable this season.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that Crewe survive, but I fear for them without Powell.
  • Options
    FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preston fan here, really hoping we can make the play offs this year. All depends on how our new signings gel I suppose but we have got a capable manager in Westley.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    G'wan Bournemouth. My sometimes adoptive home town.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coventry fan

hope our decline ends here and we can finnally win something

promotion is the aim,hopefully automatic,would love a jpt trophy win too..i just wanna win,been a long time

our finances are terrible and we are losing players,if we can replace them and keep core of last year i think we should aim for top 6 at least.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I don't click the thread, it isn't real
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabala wrote: »
    Preston fan here, really hoping we can make the play offs this year. All depends on how our new signings gel I suppose but we have got a capable manager in Westley.

There's no doubting that Graham Westley's amassing a pretty strong squad, but as you say the question is definitely how quick they gel. We're in a similar boat at Stevenage but for the opposite reason, because we're losing everyone!

I think we've made some alright signings so far but I expect a good few more yet. Our squad was thin enough last season but so far this summer we've already lost thirteen players and only signed six.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just hoping my lot - Portsmouth actually get a squad together as at present we don't even have a keeper, so I can see a long hard season unless something drastic happens like some of the players we're trying to offload stay and play. So far signings have been restricted to giving half a dozen youth players full-time contracts and promoting them to the 1st team.

Seems like its turned full circle for me now Pompey are back where they were when I first started supporting them 30 odd years ago.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »

Sadly it is. I'm still hoping the play-off final was a nightmare, and we really won after Hudds missed their first 3 :(

So much depends on who we sign and re-sign - it is going to be hard to repeat the league form of last season (which would have seen us up in any other year). It could be a realy bad season, or mid-table mediocrity. At the moment (with no confirmed signings), a promotion challenge looks a long way off
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Wednesday fan here and I think we'll...oh, wait, we actually did finally get out of that horrible division! :)

I think it'll be tight, there are some very capable sides. Coventry and Pompey "ought" to do well but as we know all too well being fancied doesn't mean a lot. We've been relegated to L1 twice in the last decade, both times we were favourites to come straight back up but finished in the bottom half each time before getting promoted in our second season.

MK Dons could push on from perennial play off contenders to automatic I think, Doncaster should do OK, and Bournemouth seem to be throwing some cash at it. Our beloved neighbours still have a decent side but as the last poster said it depends who they can keep. If they lose the likes of Quinn, McDonald and Lowton, with their 35 goal striker from last season gone as well they're unlikely to get anywhere near last season's points total.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we signed jon fleck today...im quitly optimistic
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    coventry fan

hope our decline ends here and we can finnally win something

promotion is the aim,hopefully automatic,would love a jpt trophy win too..i just wanna win,been a long time

our finances are terrible and we are losing players,if we can replace them and keep core of last year i think we should aim for top 6 at least.

Try and embrace it.

That's what we at Leicester did, and had a lot of fun at new grounds (helped by 14 away wins it must be said).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Try and embrace it.

That's what we at Leicester did, and had a lot of fun at new grounds (helped by 14 away wins it must be said).

yeh leicesters *spit* league one title win is the run we dream of

would be great to win and be the team others fear for once.

i know people say big teams will face extra resistance but at home on a big nice pitch we sohuld be able to out pass teams although our final third decisive passing sucked last year

defensivly we are strong but have lost 1 starting cb and may sell another so its wait and see but for now im excited for the new season
  • Options
    Trmcg5Trmcg5 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bury fan here cant believe there tipped for relegation although not many signings our manager has made but a flock of signings a few days ago so fingers crossed here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Sadly it is. I'm still hoping the play-off final was a nightmare, and we really won after Hudds missed their first 3 :(

So much depends on who we sign and re-sign - it is going to be hard to repeat the league form of last season (which would have seen us up in any other year). It could be a realy bad season, or mid-table mediocrity. At the moment (with no confirmed signings), a promotion challenge looks a long way off

As a Swindon Town fan, we're a cautionary tale for you guys. Two years previously, Danny Wilson took us to the play-off final against Millwall, but frankly, we didn't turn up. During the close season following that game, our club captain (Gordon Greer) was sold and one of our prolific strike force from the previous season (Billy Paynter) moved on as he was out of contract and they were not adequately replaced, which was evident as the following season progressed when the team really struggled. Then come the January transfer window, the other half of the strike force (Charlie Austin) was sold to Burnley and after a 4-1 defeat at Southampton at the end of February, the club said "tatty-bye" to Danny Wilson. Paul Hart then came in to try and save us from getting relegated (following successful escape acts at Portsmouth and Crystal Palace), but to no avail as we ended up being relegated at the bottom of the pile.

You have been warned!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Oldham fans I hope they finish in top 10 but they might end up in bottom 4 but hopely not.

Stevenage have just signed Filipe Morais - do you rate him? He looked really good when he played for you against us, but I haven't seen him properly.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    As a Swindon Town fan, we're a cautionary tale for you guys. Two years previously, Danny Wilson took us to the play-off final against Millwall, but frankly, we didn't turn up. During the close season following that game, our club captain (Gordon Greer) was sold and one of our prolific strike force from the previous season (Billy Paynter) moved on as he was out of contract and they were not adequately replaced, which was evident as the following season progressed when the team really struggled. Then come the January transfer window, the other half of the strike force (Charlie Austin) was sold to Burnley and after a 4-1 defeat at Southampton at the end of February, the club said "tatty-bye" to Danny Wilson. Paul Hart then came in to try and save us from getting relegated (following successful escape acts at Portsmouth and Crystal Palace), but to no avail as we ended up being relegated at the bottom of the pile.

You have been warned!

Well, we've just sold Lowton to Villa for something approaching £3mill (with the add-ons), so you might be onto something :(
  • Options
    familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    Stevenage have just signed Filipe Morais - do you rate him? He looked really good when he played for you against us, but I haven't seen him properly.

^^^^ I through he was good player for Latics in two years we had him, but I'm surprise that he sign for u as last time I hear he was going to be signing for Preston.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Well, we've just sold Lowton to Villa for something approaching £3mill (with the add-ons), so you might be onto something :(

Do you have a ready replacement for Lowton? Well at least you've got some money to go a buy a replacement!
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Portsmouth, it just gets worse and worse for them. They have been told by the Football League they will start the new season on -10 points if they are to be allowed into League One.

Link
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, Pompey risk going out of the league completely like Luton. They've already been penalised for entering administration the ever increasing penalties just aren't justified. Talk about kick a club when they are down. Their transfer embargo means they can't loan in players leaving them relying on the youth squad. That, together with the 10 point penalty that virtually assures another relegation this season. Therefore even less revenue to pay off the debts, so another points deduction.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, that's horrible. I'd like to say that owners reap what they sow, but they then swan off and leave the fans to suffer.
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »

He was one of only a small handful of players we had last season with any kind of quality on the ball. Alas he turned down our (likely to be paltry) offer of a contract.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Jesus, that's horrible. I'd like to say that owners reap what they sow, but they then swan off and leave the fans to suffer.

In Pompeys case the previous owner has bigger worries as he's fighting extradition to Lithuania.

This new 10 point deduction is very harsh, moreso as the current admin wasen't down to mismanagement or anything the club or staff did wrong, but because the new owners company (who passed the leagues fit and proper test last year) went bust and the promised finance for Portsmouth wasen't forthcoming.

As it stands after 2 more senior players left today, Pompey only have 8 senior players left and the future of the club is dependent on 2 of them (Kanu & Tal Ben Haim) agreeing a lower pay-off than they insist on otherwise the club will be liquidated - if they come to agreement there's 2 offers on the table to buy the club but they're conditional o the agreement.