Options

Arguments against God

IofielIofiel Posts: 1,144
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello :)

I know this might be a bit of an old thing now here on this forum but I'd like to use the geographical argument against god.

It goes like this:

Because a person is born into and lives in the UK, they happen to believe in Christ. Because a person happens to be born in Pakistan, they are raised to believe in Allah. And so on and so fourth for every country and every diety/dieties proclaimed to exist.

Only one of these gods can be the real god, and so I argue that the evidence here alone proves that god does not in fact exist, but remains a belief in peoples minds.

Comments

• Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A religion thread, I can't remember the last time one of these rarities popped up.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    The religious on here would attempt to persuade you that all those religions in fact believe in the same God.

Although that opens up massive logical holes that we'll ignore.
  • Options
    StillAliveStillAlive Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear God.
    Because a person is born into and lives in the UK, they happen to believe in Christ. Because a person happens to be born in Pakistan, they are raised to believe in Allah. And so on and so fourth for every country and every diety/dieties proclaimed to exist.

As already 'pointed' out to you, there is only one God. If you were to actually believe that (for some reason I reckon your just on another silly wind up) would that satisfy your curiosity?

And/or:
    Only one of these gods can be the real god, and so I argue that the evidence here alone proves that god does not in fact exist, but remains a belief in peoples minds.

What if all but one religion is right, then would you be okay with there being a God?
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I live in Gods country (Lancashire) so he must be in the North of England....
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    The argument has been deployed before; many times actually; but welcome to the forum in any event.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Who the bloody hell is God??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The religious on here would attempt to persuade you that all those religions in fact believe in the same God.

Although that opens up massive logical holes that we'll ignore.

Yes I am aware of the counter argument, that all gods are ultimately one god or 'substance' but I feel this argument doesn't hold against the geographical god argument. (You could add time-argument to that too, since people used to believe in Thor, Wotan and thousands even of other older gods.)

I argue there can only be the one god that people proclaim to exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iofiel wrote: »
    ... so I argue that the evidence here alone proves that god does not in fact exist, but remains a belief in peoples minds.

I argue there can only be the one god that people proclaim to exist.

Well that didn't take you long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Who the bloody hell is God??

It's errm you know..ermmm God...
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know this might be a bit of an old thing now here on this forum but I'd like to use the geographical argument against god.

It goes like this:

How about a powerful deity existing, but doesn't go by any of the names that each country currently has for it? Your argument doesn't exactly prove that a deity doesn't exist. All you've shown is that a lof of countries have different names for this deity.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They all worship the same God apparently....
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    StillAlive wrote: »
    Oh dear God.

As already 'pointed' out to you, there is only one God. If you were to actually believe that (for some reason I reckon your just on another silly wind up) would that satisfy your curiosity?

Then; and I very curious about this; if at least one religion if not two already existed to worship this God why did he feel the need to start a third one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StillAlive wrote: »
    Oh dear God.

As already 'pointed' out to you, there is only one God.

The only thing pointed out to me is that there are thousands of gods, maybe even hundreds of thousands.
    What if all but one religion is right, then would you be okay with there being a God?

But that isn't the case. The claim being made is that there are thousands to hundreds of thousands of gods.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here on DS we prefer to use the term Sky Fairy instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Then; and I very curious about this; if at least one religion if not two already existed to worship this God why did he feel the need to start a third one?

He didn't man did.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »

Some do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But that isn't the case. The claim being made is that there are thousands to hundreds of thousands of gods.

Maybe you can help us out:

Iofiel means, “beauty of God.” She helps us to recognize that everything that happens is Divine, natural and beautiful in the eternal sense. She helps us to experience a new depth of beauty and assists us in attuning with our eternal self. In this way we can express our uniqueness that is also a reflection of God.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    How about a powerful deity existing, but doesn't go by any of the names that each country currently has for it? Your argument doesn't exactly prove that a deity doesn't exist. All you've shown is that a lof of countries have different names for this deity.

I don't agree that all diety/dieties are ultimately one because of the simple fact that thousands to hundreds of thousands are claimed to exist.

For example, one single diety is called thor. Another is perhaps Iofiel. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do know that most Muslims/Christians/Jews acknowledge that they worship the same God. They just follow different rules. Like Christians believe Jesus was the son of God while Muslims just believe he was another prophert.

A lot of people really seem to lack basic knowledge in the major religons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    It's errm you know..ermmm God...

Well I know plenty of James's, Micheal's, Luke's, Dan's, Jason's, Joe's ect ect, but they come with surnames, What's Gods Surname? I might know who he's on about then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »

Why don't you refer back to some of the old conversations you have taken part in about religion. It seems to be a hobby of yours.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It goes like this:

Logically that does not follow. The fact that they all shouted ' I am Sparticus' doesn't prove none of them were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Well I know plenty of James's, Micheal's, Luke's, Dan's, Jason's, Joe's ect ect, but they come with surnames, What's Gods Surname? I might know who he's on about then?

He is known to his peers as God Smith
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »

Do we?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    He is known to his peers as God Smith

Oh

Well I'm afraid I don't know a God Smith so unfortunately I wouldn't know where he's based.