Celebrities who get an easy time from the press

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it that some celebrities are constantly presented in a negative light, whilst others are always presented positively, and anything they may have done to jepordise that is ignored or brushed aside?

The best example at preswnt is Simon Cowell. His general weirdness and megalomania are frequently ignored and everything written about him has a positive tint. I can't think of any other celebrity who'd be able to get a friends wife pregnant and not be torn apart by the tabloids? Like wise I can't imagine any other man who'd be able to have a harem of similar looking women around him at all times and not be called sleaze bag.

Then there is David Beckham. He had all that trouble with Rebecca Loos all those years ago, but it rarely gets mentioned now. The Internet is awash with all sorts of rumours about Becks, I won't go into them, but its funny how none of this kind of stuff ever gets into the papers isn't it?

Can anyone think of more? A few years ago I'd have included Cheryl Cole on the list but now she's no longer protected by the Cowell "bubble" she seems to get a lot of negative press now.

Comments

• scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe kate middleton or her sister? The Daily mail has an obsession with them both.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe kate middleton or her sister? The Daily mail has an obsession with them both.

The Mail in particular are quite snobby and critical of the Middleton family due to their apparent "social climbing". But you are correct in that Pippa (who appears to do bugger all for a living) gets an easy time of it from the press at large.

Dare I say the McCann's get a very easy time. Although I'm note sure I'd call them celebrities really?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Paul McCartney during the Heather Mills divorce. The way they sucked up to "Macca" and demonised Heather Mills was a disgrace

Definitely the McCanns. They've been given an easy ride and not been placed under enough scrutiny for why they believed that dinner was more important than looking after their children.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Jesus, would people give the McCann's a break. They've paid very dearly for their mistake. Is that not enough for you all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, would people give the McCann's a break. They've paid very dearly for their mistake. Is that not enough for you all.

My problem with the McCann's is that their negligence has never been questioned by the media, ever. I can't help but feel that had they been a young, 20 something couple from a council estate who worked in a factory or a supermarket, then it would have been very different story. But let's leave it at that....

Gazza is another one. He used to beat his wife and is an alcoholic who seems to squander any help he receives. But media coverage of him is always fawning, and why? Because he used to be good at kicking a ball around a pitch and once cried during a football match in 1990? Pathetic.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member

No, because leaving children alone in an apartment on holiday while having dinner with multiple friends isn't just a mistake. It's incredible negligence.
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your right about the mccans if they had come from a council estate ss would probably put their other children on an at risk register.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mccanns I agree with. I just do.not.get. why they have never been 'slagged off' in the press. They wanted kids so much as to have ivf, yet couldn't be arsed to look after them. Yes when one 'goes missing' social services dont get involved with the remaining kids & the police dont do them for negligence & the press don't help. it's all down to money & socail standing.

I am sorry for whatever has happened to that little girl but i will not stop criticising them.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Hanks
    WILL Smith

..always get good press
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The theme appears to me to be money.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I tend to agree that they'll have to live with the consequences of their actions for life. I wouldn't cast the first stone..
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanna Lumley seems to get a good press, and deserves it, she is a very nice person.

Stephen Fry also gets an easy ride, but I'm not so sure he deserves it.
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *coughs* Carter Ruck.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only imagine that the celebrities that get an easy time from the press must have struck some sort of deal with them. I can't see why the press/tabloids would go easy on certain celebrities if they're getting nothing in return. I'd definitely say that certain celebrities have struck some sort of deal with them. It's the only thing I can think of.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I can only imagine that the celebrities that get an easy time from the press must have struck some sort of deal with them. I can't see why the press/tabloids would go easy on certain celebrities if they're getting nothing in return. I'd definitely say that certain celebrities have struck some sort of deal with them. It's the only thing I can think of.

Same.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, because leaving children alone in an apartment on holiday while having dinner with multiple friends isn't just a mistake. It's incredible negligence.

Yes it is and I can't think of a worse way to be punished than to lose your daughter ...can you ? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

I think that you are correct. I find the whole Simon Cowell thing really sleazy, but the media are almost laughing about it. Haha Si is such a lad he's got his mates wife up the duff :rolleyes:

Becks is such a lovely "family man" who's mates with the royal family and does lots of work for charity. Lets overlook all the rumours about him and the fact that his wife always look as miserable as sin shall we...
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie generally gets good press. Although that might change depending on how she does on The Voice next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Kylie generally gets good press. Although that might change depending on how she does on The Voice next year.

Yes she does, and we are constantly being told how wonderful she looks for her age. She doesn't though, she looks like a wax work and I personally know of several 40 something women who look far better than she does and not smidgeon of Botox has entered their face....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction no boyband is that clean.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she does, and we are constantly being told how wonderful she looks for her age. She doesn't though, she looks like a wax work and I personally know of several 40 something women who look far better than she does and not smidgeon of Botox has entered their face....

Some do, some don't. She is pretty amazing in my book. Have you been through what she has suffered? I have not been through life threatening cancer and survived tho my partner has. Walk a mile in my shoes, as the song goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Some do, some don't. She is pretty amazing in my book. Have you been through what she has suffered? I have not been through life threatening cancer and survived tho my partner has. Walk a mile in my shoes, as the song goes.

She was already looking waxy and stretched way before the cancer diagnosis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare I say the McCann's get a very easy time. Although I'm note sure I'd call them celebrities really?
    My problem with the McCann's is that their negligence has never been questioned by the media, ever. .

I find this almost unbelievable. I don't think I can ever remember people so thoroughly trashed by the press. Only the fact that they were able to get libel settlements on the most ridiculous lies forced the papers to tone it down a bit.

And I think the allegation of classism is as wrong as it could possibly get. It was the parents' disastrous habit of always looking nicely dressed, and with neatly styled hair, that did for them. I could point out some working class parents who were considered untouchable for years, but I am sure you can fill in the gaps and the whole topic has become too unpleasant to deal with.
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find this almost unbelievable. I don't think I can ever remember people so thoroughly trashed by the press. Only the fact that they were able to get libel settlements on the most ridiculous lies forced the papers to tone it down a bit.

And I think the allegation of classism is as wrong as it could possibly get. It was the parents' disastrous habit of always looking nicely dressed, and with neatly styled hair, that did for them. I could point out some working class parents who were considered untouchable for years, but I am sure you can fill in the gaps and the whole topic has become too unpleasant to deal with.

Maybe you should do a bit of research, or even read Sr Amaral's book. The whole case file is translated on the internet. None of the facts were truly reported in the British media, but plenty of lies were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    Maybe you should do a bit of research, or even read Sr Amaral's book. The whole case file is translated on the internet. None of the facts were truly reported in the British media, but plenty of lies were.

How does that in any way address the point that I made? You must admit that a lot of the 'plenty of lies' were invented purely to vilify the McCanns.