Leona Lewis breaks UK Chart Record! Most Top 5's from a British Female.

Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
Forum Member
✭✭
Leona has broken a UK chart record this week after her new single One More Sleep charted at 3 yesterday in the official charts, making it her 8th top 5 single.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a538691/leona-lewis-sets-new-uk-chart-record-with-christmas-single.html

It is surprising the figure is as low as that really, but still a well done to Leona for being the one too break it.

Comments

• d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Well done Leona :D:D
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah that is surprising well done none the less :). Maybe she isn't done after all this xmas album was a V good idea after all.

Now who has the best chance of equalling or beating her
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Yeah that is surprising well done none the less :). Maybe she isn't done after all this xmas album was a V good idea after all.

Now who has the best chance of equalling or beating her

Well from the list it would seem that Ellie Goulding and Jessie J have the best chance as they currently have six top 5 singles each. I imagine Adele will be in the mix too.

Most surprising for me though is that fellow x-factor winner Alexandra Burke has achieved five top 5 singles already from just eight releases, so she should be right in the mix too when she releases her new album next year:D
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fair play to leona and i really like the song too.:) richard stannard co-wrote the song and he is very good pop music song writer. he co-wrote most of the spice girls biggest hits, including two of their three consecutive christmas #1s back in the 90's.:D
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most for a British female eh?

Still way behind Madonna who not only holds the record for the most top 5 singles ever for a female, but the most ever for any act in history- 46.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »

Still way behind Madonna who not only holds the record for the most top 5 singles ever for a female, but the most ever for any act in history- 46.

i am a massive madonna fan, but this about british females, just like you have already acknowledged. traditionally, international females have done better than our home grown acts, but i am pleased to see that finally starting to change.:)
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    Congrats Leona!
    Girlpower rules. :kitty:
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done, Leona. Her new single is so catchy. I'm not usually keen on Christmas singles but I love this one. But then Leona is great on whatever she sings, I adore her voice. :)

You know, I was thinking surely Kate Bush must have had more Top 5 hits than 8 in her 35 year long career but, upon checking on Wiki I'm amazed that only 4 of her singles were Top 5! Incredible to think that so many classic songs of hers like Wow, Breathing, Army Dreamers, Cloudbusting, Hounds Of Love, The Sensual World and This Woman's Work didn't even get into the Top 10!! Craziness!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i am a massive madonna fan, but this about british females, just like you have already acknowledged. traditionally, international females have done better than our home grown acts, but i am pleased to see that finally starting to change.:)

I was merely pointing out how astonishing Madonna's record is, I think that's a record that will be extremely hard to beat. I'd have thought that the record for a British female solo artist would be more than 8 top 5 singles, evidently I was wrong.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was merely pointing out how astonishing Madonna's record is, I think that's a record that will be extremely hard to beat. I'd have thought that the record for a British female solo artist would be more than 8 top 5 singles, evidently I was wrong.

I too thought the record for the most top 5's by a British female would be a lot higher too. So many successful artists like Dusty Springfield, Kate Bush, Annie Lennox, Gabrielle, Kim Wilde - I thought they'd all have had way more than 8 Top 5's but clearly not. Surprising, and disappointing really. Anyway, well done to Leona, she's brilliant.

As for Madonna, definitely she's in a league of her own - her phenomenal success, when it comes to the amount of hit singles - will definitely be hard to beat by any female singer - anywhere!! She's amazing! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i appreciate that and it is indeed going to be difficult to beat.:) this is still a big achievement though for leona, because traditionally us brits have supported international female artists more for whatever reason. for instance, rihanna has already had 16 top 5 hits and over 20 top 5 appearances, if you count her featured credits.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I too thought the record for the most top 5's by a British female would be a lot higher too. So many successful artists like Dusty Springfield, Kate Bush, Annie Lennox, Gabrielle, Kim Wilde - I thought they'd all have had way more than 8 Top 5's but clearly not. Surprising, and disappointing really. Anyway, well done to Leona, she's brilliant.

As for Madonna, definitely she's in a league of her own - her phenomenal success, when it comes to the amount of hit singles - will definitely be hard to beat by any female singer - anywhere!! She's amazing! :)

according to that article, her closest opponents are olivia newton-john with 7 and petula clark, shirley bassey, cilla black, geri halliwell,:blush: louise,:o jessie j and ellie goulding all with 6 top 5 hits each. jessie and ellie seem the most likely challenge to her record, considering that line up.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

Eerrr its 44 not 46:D
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really happy for Leona. Hopefully this will shut up some of nay sayers who say she is a one hit wonder.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Lots of people reporting on this including Billboard :D
    @billboard
    Congrats to @leonalewismusic on setting a U.K. chart record: http://blbrd.co/1fBt5Jf
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulmusic wrote: »
    Really happy for Leona. Hopefully this will shut up some of nay sayers who say she is a one hit wonder.

Well outside of the UK she is still :p

But no in fairness she seems to be getting back on track her next Studio Album proper will be an interesting one to watch, will she make it 9 :)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does she rank in total single sales rather than chart placings? I suspect this statistic slightly flatters her, the same way the wedding present broke Elvis' record for most chart singles in a year.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares? It means nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like this "chart record" isn't really a record at all!! I would imagine her management sent press release after press release to get the word out that Leona is breaking records when the reality is this record could be beaten in 2months by someone else.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Musick1 wrote: »
    I feel like this "chart record" isn't really a record at all!! I would imagine her management sent press release after press release to get the word out that Leona is breaking records when the reality is this record could be beaten in 2months by someone else.

Well it is, seeing as Olivia Newton John was the previous record holder it has obviously been a record that has taken some time to beat and Leona has done it. It is still an achievement and it was the Official Charts Company who wrote an article about it first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i appreciate that and it is indeed going to be difficult to beat.:) this is still a big achievement though for leona, because traditionally us brits have supported international female artists more for whatever reason. for instance, rihanna has already had 16 top 5 hits and over 20 top 5 appearances, if you count her featured credits.:o

Rihanna pushes an album out virtually every year though, Leona and Madonna don't do that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Eerrr its 44 not 46:D

Actually I was wrong, Elvis has the most top tens according to Wikipedia (54) and Madonna is second with 44.

I know for a fact that she holds the record for the most number 2 hits though!

Still surprised at the low number of top fives for British female solo artists all the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna pushes an album out virtually every year though, Leona and Madonna don't do that.

i never suggested either of them did.:confused: i just mentioned rihanna's successes as a recent international female example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i never suggested either of them did.:confused: i just mentioned rihanna's successes as a recent international female example.

I never suggested that you said that either. That was a point I made separately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never suggested that you said that either. That was a point I made separately.

well i am confused by the relevance of that point then.