Leona, Joe and Shayne perform together for Text Santa.

Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
Forum Member
✭✭
Leona performed Winter Wonderland, which is featured on her Christmas album, with Joe and Shayne for Text Santa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8BwLWiHG8

I do think it was a little disrespectful of Dermot not to acknowledge Joe and Shayne by their names, instead he just called them 'guests', but apart from that I thought it was great.

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,750
    Forum Member
    He was probably just reading his script
  • CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three of the best singers from X Factor altogether. Saving the best for last. Wanted more quality singing after seeing/hearing that. The music was too loud though. If we could get these three again using their full range and without the loud music that would be really something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the "guests' was for all of those in the clip. Dermot could hardly go through that long list now could he?
  • YorkshireLass7YorkshireLass7 Posts: 3,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for posting the video :)

I loved this performance and thought it was easily the best part of the Text Santa show. Leona, Shayne and Joe all looked and sounded amazing and they all seemed to really enjoy performing together :)

I would have loved to hear more (rather than some of the tuneless performances that were shown earlier) and it's a shame ITV didn't make more of the opportunity (another song, advertising it to viewers throughout the show and showing it earlier in the evening - although I guess it's true they did save the best til last) ;)

When you hear together three of the best voices ever to come from X Factor it reminds you that, at it's best, the show really does discover / showcase some amazing talent (I'd add a couple of other names to that list too). Such a shame then that they have little clue how to manage such talent afterwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Leona performed Winter Wonderland, which is featured on her Christmas album, with Joe and Shayne for Text Santa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8BwLWiHG8

I do think it was a little disrespectful of Dermot not to acknowledge Joe and Shayne by their names, instead he just called them 'guests', but apart from that I thought it was great.

I can't bold on my phone but regards your last paragraph, I agree, although as another poster said, Dermot's just doing as he's told no doubt. But it wouldn't have cost anything for them to have him just acknowledge Joe and Shayne and probably served to remind people how petty and mean spirited X Factor can be especially on a night that was supposed to be all about goodwill!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add. What I do find disrespectful as well as disingenuous is the constant Robbie, Olly and 1 Direction overload on our TV screens. When these sub-standard singers (?) are pushed in our face (on repeat) on shows and in the adverts too it is sickening. These promotional tools are used under (in the same breath as) a charity label?

How refreshing to get even a mini opportunity to see and hear far superior performers and singers. Let us have some quality at Christmas instead of the same old same.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    The best three winners all on one stage <3
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    Just to add. What I do find disrespectful as well as disingenuous is the constant Robbie, Olly and 1 Direction overload on our TV screens. When these sub-standard singers (?) are pushed in our face (on repeat) on shows and in the adverts too it is sickening. These promotional tools are used under (in the same breath as) a charity label?

How refreshing to get even a mini opportunity to see and hear far superior performers and singers. Let us have some quality at Christmas instead of the same old same.

Did Robbie, Olly & 1D perform?
    Olly was in a snippet there, but I didn't see 1D. I don't get your problem tbh.

I know that there were short videos with celebs asking for donations, and I think that for charity, they go for the biggest acts (best selling with the widest fanbases) because they would potencially reach more fans when asking for donations. That makes sense to me...

Edit:
    it was a lovely video :)
    I am not a fan of Xmas songs, but the 3 of them together was really good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Believe me there was not just a snippet of Olly and Robbie in Text Santa.

How is "best selling" achieved? :) Its a vicious cycle.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believe me there was not just a snippet of Olly and Robbie in Text Santa.

How is "best selling" achieved? :) Its a vicious cycle.

Alright, I suppose more appearances can translate into sales (not always, but often).

But I don't think you should have mentioned 1D then.
    I think that they haven't spent that much time on british TV promoting their new album... I suppose X Factor viewers can legitimately perceive that there was an overload (2 appearances), but apart from that, 1D barely did any promo in the UK compared to Robbie (& Olly?).

I think that Leona has done quite a bit of promo too BTW... And good for her, I wish her well.
    I am also glad for Shane & Joe that they got this big feature as former X factor winners.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shayne and Joe just seemed like pointless backing vocalists. Couldn't hear their voices and Leona was just far superior. It made it blindingly obvious why she is still successful and they aren't. But it was a nice festive performance nonetheless. :kitty:
  • LancashireLass2LancashireLass2 Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Shayne and Joe just seemed like pointless backing vocalists. Couldn't hear their voices and Leona was just far superior. It made it blindingly obvious why she is still successful and they aren't. But it was a nice festive performance nonetheless. :kitty:

I can't wait for Joe's 5th album which he's writing and recording at the moment and his 50+ date tour next year. :)

Love Joe Shayne and Leona. All brilliant artists. :)
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a really lovely performance. Joe & Shayne have amazing vocals and as a Leona fan I am delighted they performed together. I am going in for another listen.
  • LancashireLass2LancashireLass2 Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulmusic wrote: »
    I thought it was a really lovely performance. Joe & Shayne have amazing vocals and as a Leona fan I am delighted they performed together. I am going in for another listen.

Me too. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Leona more fair and kinder than her fans it would seem. She appeared genuinely pleased with the excellent vocal support of other excellent and very successful winners from XF. Would you rather she was 'trioed' with less capable, vocally challenged former XF contestants? :D As you rate Leona so highly wouldn't that have demeaned her?

Leona is probably the most superior of the female winners but she can hardly be pitted against a male vocal now can she?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although her voice was great I felt that it was too choreographed. Joe and Shayne looked much more comfortable on stage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It depends on your interpretation of success really doesn't it? Impressing the audiences and critics in your West End debut perhaps? Or if you want to stick with comparisons in recording careers, having your second album sell almost 3 times as many as your first album (as opposed to say just a tiny fraction of them), or maybe still being signed to a major label (or any label in fact) and releasing a third and even a fourth album with a fifth in the pipeline? All that and still being known as some of the loveliest people in the industry :kitty:

Leona more fair and kinder than her fans it would seem. She appeared genuinely pleased with the excellent vocal support of other excellent and very successful winners from XF. Would you rather she was 'trioed' with less capable, vocally challenged former XF contestants? :D As you rate Leona so highly wouldn't that have demeaned her?

Leona is probably the most superior of the female winners but she can hardly be pitted against a male vocal now can she?

I agree with the sentiment but wouldn't label all her fans, as most seem as gracious as the lady herself ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a big fan of Leona. She still is my favourite female vocalist to come from XF. Genuinely loved the fun she was having with that song with Joe and Shayne.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't quoted you CARA because I assume you'll want to edit your post to call Joe "Joe" LOL :p but yes they all seemed to be having a great time together on stage, and from what I hear the fun continued off stage too ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I type fast, but that error was so wrong.

Any way. Just for a change it was nice to celebrate and appreciate winners. :)

Well done all three you really turned the show around for me.
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    I know I type fast, but that error was so wrong.

Any way. Just for a change it was nice to celebrate and appreciate winners. :)

Well done all three you really turned the show around for me.

It was. :)

The show would have more credibility for me if they made more effort to show past contestants who are still performing, rather than the shallow approach they seem to take.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She forgot the words at one point, should have had the lads on earlier perhaps.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I like olly alot. I enjoy his music and he's got amazing charisma. Imo the best male vocalist on the x factor was matt cardle. Leona is still the best female singer they've had.
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like olly alot. I enjoy his music and he's got amazing charisma. Imo the best male vocalist on the x factor was matt cardle. Leona is still the best female singer they've had.

Olly's vocal on text santa really was poor.

Agree about the overload of certain artists and I'll add Gary barlow to that list, especially when it's supposedly done in the name of charity. Having said that leona fans can't argue with her tv coverage this round of promo. I'm just surprised that as a result her album hasn't performed better.

Couldn't last till the end of the show but nice to read Leona was able to sing live for her UK fans, despite her illness, as they don't get too many opportunities
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariella52 wrote: »
    It was. :)

The show would have more credibility for me if they made more effort to show past contestants who are still performing, rather than the shallow approach they seem to take.

I couldn't agree more and the steady decline in voting figures suggests a lot of other people would agree too I think ;-)

I understand that there were about 1 million votes for Sam Bailey this year and that she had about 55% of the vote so that means there were less than 2 million votes in the final. I haven't really paid much attention to X Factor since Joe won back in 2009 (I went to see him perform on the first live show of 2010 and was shocked at the level of audience manipulation even back then) but I know there were over 10 million votes in the 2009 final with Joe getting about 6.5 million of those.

So that means voting numbers have declined by more than 80% over the last 4 years (whilst viewing figures have declined by about 50%) - surely a big part of that has to be casual viewers (rather than devoted fans) not bothering to vote because X Factor / Syco ignore their opinions year after year and promote their chosen ones regardless (and that's a criticism of TPTB not the artists they choose to promote).