Options

BBC Breakfast - Revolving Door Sunday

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    They do do other shows and everything is public money if you work in a supermarket that money comes from the public by paying for goods.

Sian Williams also reads other news bulletins, Steff travels around the country as part of her presenting, Naga does other shows so they don't just appear for four or five hours.

Bill Turnbull does Songs Of Praise so they are not just turning up for a few hours are they.

Sian Williams doesn't read any news bulletins she now has a job outside the BBC as has been discussed on DS.She has not appeared on Breakfast since the move to Salford.Presenters will be contracted to do a certain number of days a year on Breakfast and any other work will be in addition. Jeremy Paxman disappears from Newsnight throughout the summer because he has done his contracted days, perfectly normal procedure.
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Sian Williams doesn't read any news bulletins she now has a job outside the BBC as has been discussed on DS.She has not appeared on Breakfast since the move to Salford.Presenters will be contracted to do a certain number of days a year on Breakfast and any other work will be in addition. Jeremy Paxman disappears from Newsnight throughout the summer because he has done his contracted days, perfectly normal procedure.

Sian Williams presents on Radio 4 now doesn't she at the weekend?
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sian Williams presents on Radio 4 now doesn't she at the weekend?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/showbiz/sian-williams-opens-up-welsh-6923451
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Sian actually left the BBC or is this a careeer break?
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get this thread back on topic, on Sunday 13th April, Breakfast was presented by John Maguire and Naga Munchetty (her fourth day presenting the programme this week), with Dan Pallett doing the sports bulletins (he did the same yesterday).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get this thread back on topic, on Sunday 13th April, Breakfast was presented by John Maguire and Naga Munchetty (her fourth day presenting the programme this week), with Dan Pallett doing the sports bulletins (he did the same yesterday).

Why is it necessary to list the presenters every day ?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To demonstrate the continuing "Pick and Mix" Sunday (from the opening post in this thread)?

But I suspect that we are unlikely to see a stable weekend lineup until the vacant weekday slot is permanently filled (if at all, as the current weekend rotation is hardly damaging).
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't think JM suited Breakfast at all. Some people look quite bizarre when seen face-on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I didn't think JM suited Breakfast at all. Some people look quite bizarre when seen face-on.

He did look a bit uneasy, I suspect he is better (and happier) out on the road.Some people are studio material and some are not. I watch Brekkie first and foremost for the news and sport, the presenters don't particularly bother me although there are a couple of very irritating ones from my point of view. The lesson ITV
    still haven't learned is that you can hire in almost anyone you choose but if the format and content is wrong you won't win. I suspect we are going to see yet another repeat of that with the Susanna Reid Show.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did look a bit uneasy, I suspect he is better (and happier) out on the road.Some people are studio material and some are not. I watch Brekkie first and foremost for the news and sport, the presenters don't particularly bother me although there are a couple of very irritating ones from my point of view. The lesson ITV
    still haven't learned is that you can hire in almost anyone you choose but if the format and content is wrong you won't win. I suspect we are going to see yet another repeat of that with the Susanna Reid Show.

Agreed. It's going to be Chiles/BleakHouse all over again.

And will Susanna be getting a send off at any point, or have they effectively wiped her from history?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Agreed. It's going to be Chiles/BleakHouse all over again.

And will Susanna be getting a send off at any point, or have they effectively wiped her from history?

She is now a non-person as far as the BBC is concerned, as is Bleakley. Chiles has been trying to crawl back to 5Live realising his time will be up after the World Cup and there will be no football for him to ''present.'' A pointer is that ITV recently made his contract non-exclusive with a commensurate reduction in pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is now a non-person as far as the BBC is concerned, as is Bleakley. Chiles has been trying to crawl back to 5Live realising his time will be up after the World Cup and there will be no football for him to ''present.'' A pointer is that ITV recently made his contract non-exclusive with a commensurate reduction in pay.

ITV still have live Champions League matches until May next year and they will show live coverage of all England's Euro 2016 qualifiers (plus friendlies).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the presenters for Sunday 11th May were (drum roll.....)

Mr Simon McCoy and Ms Katherine Downes (with Richard Askam on the sports bulletins)
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the presenters for Sunday 11th May were (drum roll.....)

Mr Simon McCoy and Ms Katherine Downes (with Richard Askam on the sports bulletins)

A good show a good presenting team, both should be on more often, and it was funny to see Simon trying to control himself every time the Eurovision winner was announced.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Adrian Chiles as done well at ITV, considering he's made it to his second World Cup. Not one ITV football presenter has made it to their second World Cup before the sack since Lynam IIRC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Adrian Chiles as done well at ITV, considering he's made it to his second World Cup. Not one ITV football presenter has made it to their second World Cup before the sack since Lynam IIRC.

How many ITV presenters have there been since Des ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not since the late, great Brian Moore in 1986, who anchored the tournament from London, but then flew out to Mexico City to commentate on the final.

Since then:

1990 - Elton Welsby
    1994 - Matt Lorenzo
    1998 - Bob Wilson
    2002 - Des Lynam
    2006 - Steve Rider
    2010 - Adrian Chiles
    2014 - Adrian Chiles (subject to official confirmation)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not since the late, great Brian Moore in 1986, who anchored the tournament from London, but then flew out to Mexico City to commentate on the final.

Since then:

1990 - Elton Welsby
    1994 - Matt Lorenzo
    1998 - Bob Wilson
    2002 - Des Lynam
    2006 - Steve Rider
    2010 - Adrian Chiles
    2014 - Adrian Chiles (subject to official confirmation)

Confirmed earlier this week.

Back on topic, Breakfast on Sunday 18th May was presented by Jon Kay and Steph McGovern, with Karthi Gnamasegaram on the sports bulletins.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    Steph McGovern is clearly ill at ease reading the News.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »

Steph shouldn't read the news.

Not even for a minute on Sunday morning.

Seems to be some (very sexist) rule that on Sunday it HAS to be the female who does the newsreading on Marr. Jon Kay would have been the better option.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »

Have never warmed to her doing the business news. Call it stereotyping if you like but I tend to associate strong northern accents with human interest/regional stories, she just sounds out of place.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Have never warmed to her doing the business news. Call it stereotyping if you like but I tend to associate strong northern accents with human interest/regional stories, she just sounds out of place.

You're right. She should at least tame her accent a bit for national tv. She sounds too common and informal.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right. She should at least tame her accent a bit for national tv. She sounds too common and informal.

Why should a regional accent be 'common', presumably the usual South East accent we hear all the time is 'posh'?

Just imagine if she was IC3 with appropriate accent and you wrote that, there would certainly be complaints if you called the accent 'common'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is time they settled on a regular team at weekends. The people they are ''trying out'' are all experienced presenters, albeit some on other programmes, and don't need to undergo some sort of test for the benefit of the producers.There have been one or two who looked uncomfortable but the any of the majority would be fine.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we sure that they are indeed "trying out", or might they have settled for a mixture of presenters?