Biopsy results

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone got any tips to stay calm while waiting for biopsy results ? Will be 2 weeks tomor since had a biopsy on a growth on my cervix and I'm really struggling to cope with the worry.

My mood is horrendous , taking it out on my loved ones. But I can't sleep and I'm so stressed out! I can't help but think the worst

Even when the letter arrives im going to be too scared to open it.

I feel like a psycho at the moment, it's awful!!

Comments

• MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm male, never had a cancer scare and I believe in the Afterlife - so I'm probably the last person in the world to offer advice on this problem.

But nobody else has responded yet (unless they are typing in the background) so I just wanted to offer my moral support and Best Wishes. I hope all goes well and you have a super Christmas.
  • EterniaEternia Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Just want to add my best wishes petal.

It's totally understandable why you are reacting the way you are. It's bad enough to to have the biopsy, it's worse having to wait and feel like you have the sword of Damocles hanging over your head.

Have a look at your appointment letter. I found that my appointment letters had the the name and telephone number of the Consultant looking after you. Call them for your results. Generally, the secretaries are really helpful and have emailed/faxed details to my GP.

I hope all goes well for you.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. Whilst waiting for my biopsy results, I was prepared for the worst so I just told myself that whatever needed to be done needed to be done and that it was better to know early and get it dealt with. Then I got on with life as normal until I was given the diagnosis and the plan for treatment began.

I know it sounds strange but there is no point in worrying about it - if it's cancer then it's cancer. No good being frightened of opening the envelope - the sooner you know, the sooner you can start dealing with it and hopefully get back to normal.

I'm a year down the line now - post surgery, chemo and radiotherapy - back at work and enjoying life.

Good luck - hope everything goes well for you.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck, Mrs. Tim.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try and think positive, I am halfway through course of 37 Radio Therapy treatments, You'll find a lot of others going through same as you and most are willing to talk to you and share experiences. Good Luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm male, never had a cancer scare and I believe in the Afterlife - so I'm probably the last person in the world to offer advice on this problem.

But nobody else has responded yet (unless they are typing in the background) so I just wanted to offer my moral support and Best Wishes. I hope all goes well and you have a super Christmas.

Thank you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eternia wrote: »
    Just want to add my best wishes petal.

It's totally understandable why you are reacting the way you are. It's bad enough to to have the biopsy, it's worse having to wait and feel like you have the sword of Damocles hanging over your head.

Have a look at your appointment letter. I found that my appointment letters had the the name and telephone number of the Consultant looking after you. Call them for your results. Generally, the secretaries are really helpful and have emailed/faxed details to my GP.

I hope all goes well for you.

Thanks - my friend suggested giving them a call too, I'm so nervous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. Whilst waiting for my biopsy results, I was prepared for the worst so I just told myself that whatever needed to be done needed to be done and that it was better to know early and get it dealt with. Then I got on with life as normal until I was given the diagnosis and the plan for treatment began.

I know it sounds strange but there is no point in worrying about it - if it's cancer then it's cancer. No good being frightened of opening the envelope - the sooner you know, the sooner you can start dealing with it and hopefully get back to normal.

I'm a year down the line now - post surgery, chemo and radiotherapy - back at work and enjoying life.

Good luck - hope everything goes well for you.
    Thank you - so glad to hear that you are ok now. I've totally prepared myself for worse case scenario, I think what's upsetting me the most is worrying about my kids- they are only young.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Good luck, Mrs. Tim.

Thank you x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Try and think positive, I am halfway through course of 37 Radio Therapy treatments, You'll find a lot of others going through same as you and most are willing to talk to you and share experiences. Good Luck.

Oh good luck to you too. The one good thing is that they've said cervical cancer is very treatable so that's good, although id rather not be going through it, it's good to hear that.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips to stay calm while waiting for biopsy results ? Will be 2 weeks tomor since had a biopsy on a growth on my cervix and I'm really struggling to cope with the worry.

My mood is horrendous , taking it out on my loved ones. But I can't sleep and I'm so stressed out! I can't help but think the worst

Even when the letter arrives im going to be too scared to open it.

I feel like a psycho at the moment, it's awful!!

I have had cancer so I have already been though it but what does appear weird is that you are waiting for a letter - perhaps they do things different in your area but when I was waiting for a biopsy report my Consultant arranged to see me face to face so he could discuss the results so are you sure they are sending you a letter without seeing a Consultant ?

there is no point in worrying about it - you should look at the positive and not the negative - in my case my biopsy and other tests showed the cancer had not spread so all I ended up with is daily radiotherapy for seven weeks and those weeks flew past.

I met many who had delayed seeing their GP and they were in a worse situation as cancer had spread into other organs so it made treatment far more complex.

good luck and stay positive.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Just a note to add my support, and I hope you get the results soon, so that you can know what needs to be done next. Look after yourself x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    I have had cancer so I have already been though it but what does appear weird is that you are waiting for a letter - perhaps they do things different in your area but when I was waiting for a biopsy report my Consultant arranged to see me face to face so he could discuss the results so are you sure they are sending you a letter without seeing a Consultant ?

there is no point in worrying about it - you should look at the positive and not the negative - in my case my biopsy and other tests showed the cancer had not spread so all I ended up with is daily radiotherapy for seven weeks and those weeks flew past.

I met many who had delayed seeing their GP and they were in a worse situation as cancer had spread into other organs so it made treatment far more complex.

good luck and stay positive.

It was the senior consultant that did the biopsy after the growth was discovered by my GP at a routine smear.
    They said at the hospital I would hear in the next few weeks - I presumed a letter. They've certainly not made a further appt, perhaps the letter will have a follow up appt date. I did actually say to my husband that I though it's a little insensitive to send that sort of thing through the post.

Maybe they will go through my GP then? I thought it would be similar to smear results iykwim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a note to add my support, and I hope you get the results soon, so that you can know what needs to be done next. Look after yourself x

Thank you - either way I just want to know now. It's the waiting that's hard.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Mrstim wrote: »
    It was the senior consultant that did the biopsy after the growth was discovered by my GP at a routine smear.
    They said at the hospital I would hear in the next few weeks - I presumed a letter. They've certainly not made a further appt, perhaps the letter will have a follow up appt date. I did actually say to my husband that I though it's a little insensitive to send that sort of thing through the post.

Maybe they will go through my GP then? I thought it would be similar to smear results iykwim.
    Give your GP surgery a ring, see if they know what's going on. It does seem a bit odd that you were told you'd hear in a few weeks. I thought possible cancer patients were fast tracked. It's not fair making you wait like this.
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 years ago both my mom and her sister got cervical cancer. Both are still alive today thanks to the treatment.
    I truly believe if you get it early its treatable, thank goodness for smear tests.

I wish you all the best and hope its the news that you want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give your GP surgery a ring, see if they know what's going on. It does seem a bit odd that you were told you'd hear in a few weeks. I thought possible cancer patients were fast tracked. It's not fair making you wait like this.

my Dad keeps saying ' if it was bad you would have heard by now '
    Will need to take a deep breath and ring them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    20 years ago both my mom and her sister got cervical cancer. Both are still alive today thanks to the treatment.
    I truly believe if you get it early its treatable, thank goodness for smear tests.

I wish you all the best and hope its the news that you want.

Thank you - I had abnormal cells removed 12 years ago, since then all my smears have come back normal but my last one was 5 months late, just because I was moving house and then had move gp surgerys it just delayed it all, think that's why I'm in such a state about it.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure everything is fine. Two weeks is quite a long time to wait for biopsy results, especially as you have had problems in the past, which makes me think your results will be normal. No news is a good news.:)

Put your mind at rest and give them a ring. All the best OP.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey OP, like yourself I've played that horrible waiting game, it's certainly possible there's nothing to worry, as was in my case, it's a matter of routine more often than not, unfourtently that doesn't relieve the anxiety about it!

If I were you I'd take the fact that there's no doubt plenty to keep you occupied preparing for Christmas, and use it as a distraction, until you hear, tough I know, but for me it was easier to get on with things whilst awaiting results! best of luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys- I suffer from terrible anxiety and paranoia anyway so this is a living nightmare for me.
    I'd got myself in a state that things have been hidden from me because originally the doctor said it was a polyp which she said she wasn't worried about but referred me to have it removed. Then when I got the hospital I saw on my notes ' Urgent, cancer suspected ' which completely freaked me out - the consultant apologised and said she was sorry I saw that and that its normal procedure to hurry the appt through when it comes anything cervical and with my history. Then after looking at it she said she wasn't comfortable removing it and wanted to get in her senior who eventually came in and took a biopsy. Kind felt like I was having stuff hidden from me. Which I know is ridiculous but that's how it felt.
    Senior consultant said 7-10 days before I hear, then as I got dressed and said thank good ness I will know before xmas the first Doctor I saw said ' oh it might be up to 4 weeks before you hear ' - so many contradictions between them all that it got me in a state anyway. But after an hour and half of being in there and my poor husband and kids in the waiting room I just wanted to get out of there.

Still not managed to get the balls to ring my gp yet. Too scared. Although not knowing is killing me I'm too scared to find out. Probably sounds like I'm crazy lol.
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Mrstim, I am in the same position as yourself, its been over 3 weeks since I has biopsy taken and I was told I would get a letter with the results. I was also thinking I should have heard by now. As you were told it could be up to 4 weeks, ill maybe leave it another couple of days then start chasing results up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee-rec wrote: »
    Hi Mrstim, I am in the same position as yourself, its been over 3 weeks since I has biopsy taken and I was told I would get a letter with the results. I was also thinking I should have heard by now. As you were told it could be up to 4 weeks, ill maybe leave it another couple of days then start chasing results up.
    Sorry to hear that you're going through this as well but feel better knowing that you were told the same thing as I was starting to think I was maybe going mad with what I was sure they had told me.
    Hope you get to hear soon and you get good news.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've very recently had a similar scare with a growth in my womb. I got referred to a consultant quickly and had an operation on the same day as my visit there! The consultant thought it looked benign, but took biopsies just to be sure.

She said that the results would take 2 weeks, and when I hadn't heard anything then I rang my GP surgery and they hadn't heard either. My letter arrived 2 days later and gave me the all-clear. That was the longest 6 weeks of my life from start to finish of it.

My dctor did say afterwards that in his experience, if you don't hear back quickly the results are more likely to be benign. I do hope that's the case for you too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I've very recently had a similar scare with a growth in my womb. I got referred to a consultant quickly and had an operation on the same day as my visit there! The consultant thought it looked benign, but took biopsies just to be sure.

She said that the results would take 2 weeks, and when I hadn't heard anything then I rang my GP surgery and they hadn't heard either. My letter arrived 2 days later and gave me the all-clear. That was the longest 6 weeks of my life from start to finish of it.

My dctor did say afterwards that in his experience, if you don't hear back quickly the results are more likely to be benign. I do hope that's the case for you too :)

Oh I'm really glad to hear that - like you, these past few weeks have been the hardest time for me.
    Maybe the fact it's near xmas might slow the post down a bit. Really hope I hear soon!
    Glad you got good results back, what a weight off!!