[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
Forum Member
Time for the US takeover
http://wp.me/p2EAVa-3IF

Comments

• Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The videos won't load for me. Do you know if they are on youtube or another video site?
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    Well obviously there's no royal or big events for her to perform at this year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. Rather over there than here.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great....hopefully she stays bothering the US with her relentless and annoying omnipresence instead, I'm sure fed up of seeing her everywhere in the UK. :yawn::sleep:
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I hope she's a huge success, she's super talented, I hope she writes some more songs for Rihanna too.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I like Emeli, and I hope she does well over there.

Next to Me is already starting to chart there. It's #31 on the HAC chart today, and #22 on the AC chart today.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »

i agree, she sounds great as usual and i hope she takes off in the states. thanks for posting the videos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's been trying to break here for months now. She was the VH1 you outta know artist last last spring I think. She had a bunch of tv shows referring to her with her songs being in the playlist, or just a name drop or whatever. Vh1 was hammering her to death with that you outta know commercial alone, so I'm surprised people didn't take interest.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Columbia are backing her now. I sign up to All Access and got a MASSIVE email with her big ole face on it :D

Good luck to her. Next To Me has to smash and sell 3m there. HAS TO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    Columbia are backing her now. I sign up to All Access and got a MASSIVE email with her big ole face on it :D

Good luck to her. Next To Me has to smash and sell 3m there. HAS TO.

I'm pretty sure that was the single she promoted here. It didn't chart on the hot 100. It got to 36 on the adult pop chart and 27 on the adult contemporary chart. Heaven didn't chart at all and she released that one here too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont worry she'll be back in the uk for the Brits, performing an hour long set and winning six awards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    dont worry she'll be back in the uk for the Brits, performing an hour long set and winning six awards.

This post is amazing and so true.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that was the single she promoted here. It didn't chart on the hot 100. It got to 36 on the adult pop chart and 27 on the adult contemporary chart. Heaven didn't chart at all and she released that one here too.
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I like Emeli, and I hope she does well over there.

Next to Me is already starting to chart there. It's #31 on the HAC chart today, and #22 on the AC chart today.

"HAC" is "adult pop" and "AC" is "adult contemporary". This is the mediabase chart though, so there's usually a bit of discrepancy between this chart and the official chart, but it's climbing on both charts, so it will get higher.

I'm shocked at how well Emeli is doing. UK artists NEVER do well in the US until many months after the songs are released. Rolling in the Deep was released there late 2010, so it took over 6 months before it peaked, Lights took about 1 year! Next to Me will probably take about 6+ months as well (but obviously it will be nowhere as big as those songs).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Great....hopefully she stays bothering the US with her relentless and annoying omnipresence instead, I'm sure fed up of seeing her everywhere in the UK. :yawn::sleep:

Zack Translate Machine - I hate other female artists getting more love, shows and backing than Alex Burke.:D
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the Today Show closing?

Did she have Jessie J with her doing their shite Salt and Pepper hogging the stage shenanigans from the Olympics?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good luck US.. this time next year you'll have seen her on EVERY POSSIBLE SHOW

good news for us though :cool:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she does well. Would be nice to see someone other than Adele and 1D make headlines regarding US success. Plus she is doing music which is missing in the US Billboard. Urban radio already respect her and are starting to play her more from what I heard while in the states at Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "HAC" is "adult pop" and "AC" is "adult contemporary". This is the mediabase chart though, so there's usually a bit of discrepancy between this chart and the official chart, but it's climbing on both charts, so it will get higher.

I'm shocked at how well Emeli is doing. UK artists NEVER do well in the US until many months after the songs are released. Rolling in the Deep was released there late 2010, so it took over 6 months before it peaked, Lights took about 1 year! Next to Me will probably take about 6+ months as well (but obviously it will be nowhere as big as those songs).

Next to me was released almost 10 months ago.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsOrin wrote: »
    Zack Translate Machine - I hate other female artists getting more love, shows and backing than Alex Burke.:D

Yes because I hate all other female artists that aren't Alexandra Burke. You're so perceptive it's scary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she does well. Would be nice to see someone other than Adele and 1D make headlines regarding US success. Plus she is doing music which is missing in the US Billboard. Urban radio already respect her and are starting to play her more from what I heard while in the states at Christmas.

Ellie Goulding has been making waves here, ED Sheeran is nominated for a Grammy and had a top 5 album, the only two songs Jessie J released here both went platinum, Tinie Tempah had mild success a few years ago, Marina and the Diamonds had a top 40 album with being pretty much unknown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I don't get the negativity in this thread. Emeli may be overexposed in the UK, but that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve success. She's talented and her music may not be complex and groundbreaking, but it's quality. I hope she does well in the US.

I was so shocked when I saw 'NTM' climbing on the HAC chart. It was released and slightly promoted last year (on BET iirc), but it seems that it's only now beginning to build hype. I can see it becoming a hit over there. Hope she releases 'Heaven' and 'MKOL' in the US as well. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I don't get the negativity in this thread. Emeli may be overexposed in the UK, but that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve success. She's talented and her music may not be complex and groundbreaking, but it's quality. I hope she does well in the US.

I was so shocked when I saw 'NTM' climbing on the HAC chart. It was released and slightly promoted last year (on BET iirc), but it seems that it's only now beginning to build hype. I can see it becoming a hit over there. Hope she releases 'Heaven' and 'MKOL' in the US as well. :)

Heaven was released by I think she only sang it live once. I think that would be a hit if she had promoted it more. She should have sang that on Jay Leno instead of Wonder. It was an odd choice to make.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Emeli, but even I have to laugh at that.:D

But, it's not her fault that she's been so in demand by tv programmes and is prepared to work hard. Her album is the biggest selling one of 2012 and probably this year too, with a lot of singles that radio have loved. She's still new enough she can't afford to turn down opportunities, and there hasn't been a great deal of competition for those sorts of gigs with Adele understandably keeping a low profile.

I wish her well in America. I heard her talking about it recently, saying that it was still fairly low key there, but it's obvious she's got something to offer that at least some of them like.

It will be interesting to see if she now concentrates on her own music, or continues to write for others. She's very prolific, but some people don't like that, so mixing it up might be good for her. On the other hand, bringing out fresh music is one of the best ways to stop people getting bored by radio playing the old songs on repeat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no I don't mean any disrespect, her album is great and shes an excellent songwriter but I feel some sort of control should have been exercised over her exposure.